Glen Mason Will Be on Barrerio Show After 4:00

Darrell Hazell was a very successful head coach in the MAC. Didn't mean he would be good in the BIG.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

I don't think he was saying every successful MAC coach would be successful.
He was saying Fleck has far more college coaching experience than Brewster.

He was saying Fleck has far more college coaching experience than Brewster.

He wasn't saying that, and it's also inaccurate. Brewster has 22 years of college coaching experience compared to Fleck's 13.

I suspect Mason looks back at the hiring of Brewster as being a wonderful gift to his Minnesota legacy.

Maybe it's just me, but Mason seems so detached from the program. Like, good luck doing any better in this place than I did.

Ferentz was a head coach at Maine prior to Iowa. But yes, your overall point is well-taken and something I've stated here countless times. These people won't listen to it and will believe "Brewster was unsuccessful because he'd never been a head coach/coordinator at the college level" like it's Gospel, no matter how many mountains of evidence you produce to the contrary.

There aren’t mountains of evidence to the contrary. Only a couple exceptions to the rule.

Mason was 32-48 in big 10 play at Minnesota. I find that rather weak.

When you listen on KFAN, you'd swear he was something special. Almost like he won rose bowls or something.

I can't stand the guy.

He's 68 and hasn't coached here since 2006. That is a long time ago.

Just let his era remain dead and stop talking about it like it was the good old days.

When you listen on KFAN, you'd swear he was something special. Almost like he won rose bowls or something.

I can't stand the guy.

I respect Mason for having defeated: Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Michigan St, Ohio St, Penn St, Purdue and Wisconsin during his tenure. No other coach has done that since I can't remember when. Mason has good energy and nice insight into BIG football. I think he is fair with Minnesota considering they fired him, doesnt seem to have too much spite at this point of his life.

He's 68 and hasn't coached here since 2006. That is a long time ago.

Just let his era remain dead and stop talking about it like it was the good old days.

I can't stand the guy.

When Mason took over the program, the Gophers hadn't won more than 4 games in a season for six straight years. They hadn't been ranked in the AP Top 25 in 11 years, and hadn't been to a bowl game in 10 years.

Under Mason, they cracked the Top 25 six out of seven years from (1999 to 2005), reaching as high as 12th. He had 'em in bowl games seven out of eight years (1999 to 2006). Yes, bowl games got easier to come by ... but Top 25 rankings didn't.

In the 12 years since he was fired, the Gophers have been ranked in the Top 25 just twice -- in 2008 (under Brewster, and probably utilizing a lot of the talent Mason attracted) and in 2014 under Kill.

You need to go back to the 1950s and '60s to find a sustained run of success at Minnesota like Mason had. So yeah, for anybody who wasn't born yesterday, the Mason era is the closest thing to the "good old days" for the last two generations of Gopher fans.

JTG

Mason quit years earlier when he openly campaigned for the Ohio State job and didn't get it. He went through the motions of being a head coach after that. He should have been fired when that all went down.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Funny. We had our best season in recent history after you claim he quit. Ten wins. I would certainly take that now.

I can't stand the guy.

I would take him back in heartbeat. He inherited a God awful program and beat every team in the Big 10. People are still butt hurt over the fact that he campaigned for the job at his alma mater. Who can blame him for that. I would love to have his success now.

He inherited a God awful program and beat every team in the Big 10. People are still butt hurt over the fact that he campaigned for the job at his alma mater. Who can blame him for that. I would love to have his success now.

Bingo. The cupboard wasn't just bare when Mason got here, it had fallen off the wall. And within a few years of his arrival, he was presiding over a level of success the program hadn't seen in nearly 40 years. The only reasonable excuse for firing him would have been if the U had someone waiting in the wings, ready and able to take the program to the next level. Punky Brewster wasn't it. Brewster was a dumb guy's idea of what a smart guy looks like.

I really liked Kill, and by extension, TC. I wasn't thrilled about TC being fired, although I understand the case ... especially since the U had someone in mind who may actually elevate the program. On the surface, Fleck was a bit too much like Brewster to take an immediate liking to. But PJ seems to be delivering, and if he gets the program BACK to where Mason had it (and hopefully beyond), he will be worthy of all sorts of adulation.

JTG

Ferentz was a head coach at Maine prior to Iowa. But yes, your overall point is well-taken and something I've stated here countless times. These people won't listen to it and will believe "Brewster was unsuccessful because he'd never been a head coach/coordinator at the college level" like it's Gospel, no matter how many mountains of evidence you produce to the contrary.

It's possible you could take the best player of NCAA 2014 on XBox and that person would be a successful head coach. In fact, if you did that a few million times (not that you could), I'd pretty much guarantee it would eventually happen.

What it comes down to is: what is the probability a person with X background will be successful. The best player of NCAA 2014 is close to zero.

My issue with the hire isn't so much that he took a chance on Brew. It's that he (allegedly) had at least two other coaches that had a much higher probability of being successful that were interested.

Bingo. The cupboard wasn't just bare when Mason got here, it had fallen off the wall. And within a few years of his arrival, he was presiding over a level of success the program hadn't seen in nearly 40 years. The only reasonable excuse for firing him would have been if the U had someone waiting in the wings, ready and able to take the program to the next level. Punky Brewster wasn't it. Brewster was a dumb guy's idea of what a smart guy looks like.

I really liked Kill, and by extension, TC. I wasn't thrilled about TC being fired, although I understand the case ... especially since the U had someone in mind who may actually elevate the program. On the surface, Fleck was a bit too much like Brewster to take an immediate liking to. But PJ seems to be delivering, and if he gets the program BACK to where Mason had it (and hopefully beyond), he will be worthy of all sorts of adulation.

JTG

That's become the narrative, but he did get a number of good players from the Wacker. QB Cory Sauter, who still holds the Gopher passing records of 539 pass completions, 945 pass attempts and 6,834 passing yards. Unfortunately Mason and his Offensive Coordinator tried to make an Option QB out of him.

Tyrone Carter was a two-time All American who won the Thrope Award his Senior year in '99. Lamanzer Wiliams was All Big Ten. Tutu Atwell, Ben Mezera, Thomas Hamner, Sean Hoffman etc. all solid players. Jack Brewer and Karon Riley were transfers from SMU who committed under Wacker. Brewer did well here once he became a D-Back. Riley was a two-time All Big Ten player and Big Ten Player of The Year his Senior season.

So they did have some talent, certainly not a motherlode of it, but there were some guys who had solid to great College careers at Minnesota.

Oh and as a side note and coming from a guy who thought Mason was a good coach, Gopher Fans certainly had the right to be upset when Mason publicly campaigned for tOSU job, "dream job" or not. Particularly since the Gophers and the Buckeyes were in the same conference.

Still have memories of Tom Moe being asked about it and Moe hemming and mumbling because he really didn't know what to say.

Just a "bleeping" move by Mr.Mason.

Last edited:

JTG

I'm onboard with this take 100%

So they did have some talent, certainly not a motherlode of it, but there were some guys who had solid to great College careers at Minnesota.

I'll grant you there may have been SOME talent lying around. But Wacker was something like 16-39 in his tenure at Minnesota, so what was he doing with it? And would the players you mentioned have achieved as much under Wacker as they did under Mason? Argumentative, I know. But Tyrone Carter (one of my all-time faves) played three of his four seasons under Mason, and his stock in the NFL certainly improved with the increasing respect and profile for the Minnesota program.

Sauter certainly declined under Mason, but that was largely due to moving away from Wacker's five-receiver, pass-first approach. Sauter put up some damn good numbers under Wacker.

I agree Mason's OSU thing was a royal pain in the ass.

Still, the point is that Mason took the program to a place it hadn't been in 40 years, and that it hasn't gotten back to since dumping him. And there were absolutely ZERO signs of program improvement under Wacker. (Nothing personal against Wacker. Seemed like a damn good guy, and he knew how to run a passing attack. I stole a few things from him when I was coaching.)

JTG

That's become the narrative, but he did get a number of good players from the Wacker. QB Cory Sauter, who still holds the Gopher passing records of 539 pass completions, 945 pass attempts and 6,834 passing yards. Unfortunately Mason and his Offensive Coordinator tried to make an Option QB out of him.

Tyrone Carter was a two-time All American who won the Thrope Award his Senior year in '99. Lamanzer Wiliams was All Big Ten. Tutu Atwell, Ben Mezera, Thomas Hamner, Sean Hoffman etc. all solid players. Jack Brewer and Karon Riley were transfers from SMU who committed under Wacker. Brewer did well here once he became a D-Back. Riley was a two-time All Big Ten player and Big Ten Player of The Year his Senior season.

Oh and as a side note and coming from a guy who thought Mason was a good coach, Gopher Fans certainly had the right to be upset when Mason publicly campaigned for tOSU job, "dream job" or not. Particularly since the Gophers and the Buckeyes were in the same conference.

Still have memories of Tom Moe being asked about it and Moe hemming and mumbling because he really didn't know what to say.

Just a "bleeping" move by Mr.Mason.

I'll grant you there may have been SOME talent lying around. But Wacker was something like 16-39 in his tenure at Minnesota, so what was he doing with it? And would the players you mentioned have achieved as much under Wacker as they did under Mason? Argumentative, I know. But Tyrone Carter (one of my all-time faves) played three of his four seasons under Mason, and his stock in the NFL certainly improved with the increasing respect and profile for the Minnesota program.

Sauter certainly declined under Mason, but that was largely due to moving away from Wacker's five-receiver, pass-first approach. Sauter put up some damn good numbers under Wacker.

I agree Mason's OSU thing was a royal pain in the ass.

Still, the point is that Mason took the program to a place it hadn't been in 40 years, and that it hasn't gotten back to since dumping him. And there were absolutely ZERO signs of program improvement under Wacker. (Nothing personal against Wacker. Seemed like a damn good guy, and he knew how to run a passing attack. I stole a few things from him when I was coaching.)

JTG

Wacker earned his firing and Mason was a good hire. Too bad they didn't follow through and hire Mason instead of Wacker in the first place. The story goes that Mason pulled his name from contention when he found out the process was gonna be made public.

Too bad he didn't have those same qualms when tOSU job became available.

I would take him back in heartbeat. He inherited a God awful program and beat every team in the Big 10. People are still butt hurt over the fact that he campaigned for the job at his alma mater. Who can blame him for that. I would love to have his success now.
That was fine but his whole I'll always pick up the phone comment a few years later was kind of his version of let them eat cake.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom