Glen Mason Will Be on Barrerio Show After 4:00

Iceland12

Reaction score
"Mase in Your Face" will be on KFAN right after 4:00. Usually pretty enjoyable.

Mason is the best radio interview in Twin Cities sports.

JTG

Didn't hear it, but I'm betting there were at least three "running back by committee" comments...

He wants the station to pay for his dock slip. Then he’ll paint KFAN on his boat. The name of his boat is ‘In Your Face’.

Doesn't sound like today's show was too meaningful as to Gopher Football.

I didn't catch too much of it but one question he was asked is if any coaches who he meets with are really good behind the scenes in their prep meetings.

He said Paul Chryst is really good. Good to talk with. Willing to talk about almost everything.
Then he made a comment about Urban Meyer and he'll sit down with him and next thing you know an hour has passed.

Barreiro then asked if anyone is really tough?
Mason said Jerry Kill was tough. He'd get about 10-15 minutes and then they'd say "Times up!" Then he'd go to the assistant coaches, spend 15 minutes and "Times up".
Didn't get much from Jerry or his coaches.

On a separate note, does anyone have a read on what Mason thinks of Fleck?
I've never heard him say much about him directly but the sense I get is "Hey, knock yourself out, but if you think your the first guy to try and win here, your nuts" type attitude.

Basically, he doesn't hate Fleck but they aren't best friends either, with an underlying skepticism of whether Fleck will succeed.

I’m guessing he keeps his thoughts on Fleck close to the vest because he isn’t an idiot like Braylon Edwards and wants to keep his job.

I didn't catch too much of it but one question he was asked is if any coaches who he meets with are really good behind the scenes in their prep meetings.

He said Paul Chryst is really good. Good to talk with. Willing to talk about almost everything.
Then he made a comment about Urban Meyer and he'll sit down with him and next thing you know an hour has passed.

Barreiro then asked if anyone is really tough?
Mason said Jerry Kill was tough. He'd get about 10-15 minutes and then they'd say "Times up!" Then he'd go to the assistant coaches, spend 15 minutes and "Times up".
Didn't get much from Jerry or his coaches.

On a separate note, does anyone have a read on what Mason thinks of Fleck?
I've never heard him say much about him directly but the sense I get is "Hey, knock yourself out, but if you think your the first guy to try and win here, your nuts" type attitude.

Basically, he doesn't hate Fleck but they aren't best friends either, with an underlying skepticism of whether Fleck will succeed.

Last week on "Mase in your face" Glen brought up P.J. In a nutshell he said to get behind him now and all the way, support him and believe in him because it matters to have consistency. Changing coaches sets a program back and that's Minnesota's problem. He felt P.J. it's worth supporting and good things should come in time.

Mason was here for 10 seasons, and at Kansas 9 seasons before that. That's a heck of a run, as an I-A/FBS coach. Hard programs to win a bunch of games at, but he did have a 10 win season at each, and a few 8 win seasons. Took Gophers to a bowl game in 7 out of 8 seasons 1999-2006.

My hats off to him, and a well deserved "retirement" gig on BTN.

I really like Mason on the radio and he is an excellent announcer for games.

Mason was here for 10 seasons, and at Kansas 9 seasons before that. That's a heck of a run, as an I-A/FBS coach. Hard programs to win a bunch of games at, but he did have a 10 win season at each, and a few 8 win seasons. Took Gophers to a bowl game in 7 out of 8 seasons 1999-2006.

My hats off to him, and a well deserved "retirement" gig on BTN.

Well said. Mason never should have been fired from the U. One could argue the program is still trying to get back to where he had it. It was just starting to heal under Kill when things happened. Hopefully PJ gets it back to where it was, and takes it to the "next level." (As much as I hate that expression.) I like what's been happening so far.

JTG

Well said. Mason never should have been fired from the U. One could argue the program is still trying to get back to where he had it. It was just starting to heal under Kill when things happened. Hopefully PJ gets it back to where it was, and takes it to the "next level." (As much as I hate that expression.) I like what's been happening so far.

JTG
Mason quit years earlier when he openly campaigned for the Ohio State job and didn't get it. He went through the motions of being a head coach after that. He should have been fired when that all went down.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

JTG

Well they shouldn't have given him an extension if they were willing to fire him when they did... or at least have someone better in mind than Mr. Hot Chili.

Having said that I'm not sure if he "never should have been fired".

Well they shouldn't have given him an extension if they were willing to fire him when they did... or at least have someone better in mind than Mr. Hot Chili.

Having said that I'm not sure if he "never should have been fired".

I can take arguments either way, but the extension and the firing were odd.
Lot of money.

JTG

Mason is the best guest on KFAN - to me it is can't miss radio.

The should/shouldn't Mason have been fired has been beaten to death. My thoughts are Mason was a good coach, was here for 9-10 years, and it was probably time for a change. I don't think firing Mason was the mistake. The mistake was who they hired in his place.

Last edited:

Mason is the best guess on KFAN - to me it is can't miss radio.

The should/shouldn't Mason have been fired has been beaten to death. My thoughts are Mason was a good coach, was here for 9-10 years, and it was probably time for a change. I don't think firing Mason was the mistake. The mistake was who they hired in his place.

Exactly. Had they hired Charlie Strong or Lane Kiffin and they had improved the record (not sure they would have, just throwing out a hypothetical) nobody would be questioning whether it was time to fire Mason. The fact Maturi hired someone that had zero HC or Coordinator experience and had no idea how to run a program is what introduced the question.

Mason quit years earlier when he openly campaigned for the Ohio State job and didn't get it. He went through the motions of being a head coach after that. He should have been fired when that all went down.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

That's not true. Mason's job hunting happened well before our 2003-05 teams which were by far is most talented (granted we only went .500 in B1G during that stretch).

Exactly. Had they hired Charlie Strong or Lane Kiffin and they had improved the record (not sure they would have, just throwing out a hypothetical) nobody would be questioning whether it was time to fire Mason. The fact Maturi hired someone that had zero HC or Coordinator experience and had no idea how to run a program is what introduced the question.

Ironically, Kansas’s current head coach is a very similar hire to the hiring of Brew here. Hot shot recruiter, asst coach (not a coordinator) at a P5 or NFL, no FBS head coach experience.

Both dismal ... though Kansas the past couple years really takes the cake!

I even think this part is overrated. All Western Michigan hired was a WR coach from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and four years later they are playing in the Cotton Bowl. Fleck has never been a coordinator and his first HC job was at Western.

In the Big Ten alone Ferentz and Fitzgerald were never a coordinator or HC prior to their Big Ten job. Urban Meyer was never a coordinator prior to his first head coaching position. Bottom line, some people are wired to be a head coach and some are not.

I even think this part is overrated. All Western Michigan hired was a WR coach from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and four years later they are playing in the Cotton Bowl. Fleck has never been a coordinator and his first HC job was at Western.

In the Big Ten alone Ferentz and Fitzgerald were never a coordinator or HC prior to their Big Ten job. Urban Meyer was never a coordinator prior to his first head coaching position. Bottom line, some people are wired to be a head coach and some are not.

Ferentz was a head coach at Maine prior to Iowa. But yes, your overall point is well-taken and something I've stated here countless times. These people won't listen to it and will believe "Brewster was unsuccessful because he'd never been a head coach/coordinator at the college level" like it's Gospel, no matter how many mountains of evidence you produce to the contrary.

But Fleck was a successful HC at Western Michigan before he came here. Big difference between Fleck and Brewster.

As of 2018 Brewster has only been a HC twice. A catholic high school and U of Minnesota.

But Fleck was a successful HC at Western Michigan before he came here. Big difference between Fleck and Brewster.

As of 2018 Brewster has only been a HC twice. A catholic high school and U of Minnesota.
Darrell Hazell was a very successful head coach in the MAC. Didn't mean he would be good in the BIG.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom