Yes, please. ... Gophers will play Washington as part of Vancouver Showcase

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Great news for the Gophers' non-conference schedule. Huskies the most sure-fire NCAA-caliber opponent in the field.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Will this game be in Vancouver?

Go Gophers!!

Will this game be in Vancouver?

Go Gophers!!

That is not 100% clear by Rothstein's tweet, but it almost has to be. I doubt they'd both play Nov. 20 in Vancouver and then travel to Seattle or Minneapolis to play the next day.

I'm confused. Weren't we already going to play them if we beat Texas A&M? Are they just changing it from a tournament to a round robin?

I'm confused. Weren't we already going to play them if we beat Texas A&M?

By doing this they've changed the format from a 4-team bracket with set semifinals, to a 4-team round-robin. I don't mind that because it guarantees Gophers get 2 good opponents out of this tournament. Only difference now is Gophers get no home games out of the deal, hence, they'll only have 6 non-conference home games this season.

By doing this they've changed the format from a 4-team bracket with set semifinals, to a 4-team round-robin. I don't mind that because it guarantees Gophers get 2 good opponents out of this tournament. Only difference now is Gophers get no home games out of the deal, hence, they'll only have 6 non-conference home games this season.

So they'll play A&M, Santa Clara and Washington?

****ing a, I'm flying back at 620 in the morning on the 21st....

Yea, it seems kind of odd that they would make this change after many have likely already bought tickets/flights and booked hotels. It removes one game that could have gone either way while adding one good game and one bad game for the Gophers, so the net is somewhat of a wash as far as strength of schedule. But they are going to have to work with people who already booked trips or there will be some unhappy fans out there.

You can change your ticket for what? $100

Yea, it seems kind of odd that they would make this change after many have likely already bought tickets/flights and booked hotels. It removes one game that could have gone either way while adding one good game and one bad game for the Gophers, so the net is somewhat of a wash as far as strength of schedule. But they are going to have to work with people who already booked trips or there will be some unhappy fans out there.

I think you're missing the point here. Playing Washington was never a for-sure thing. If the Gophers lose to Texas A&M, we'd be playing Santa Clara (not Washington, unless there's a massive upset). This is better because we are guaranteed two power-6 teams no matter what in this event. Also, with the Gophers already down a non-conference game up until this announcement, would you rather take your chances for another non-conference game with Santa Clara or a schedule-destroying team that has a really good chance of ending up 300+? Santa Clara might not be a good team, but I doubt they'll kill our non-conference SOS.

Last edited:

Where will the 8 women's teams practice on the 21st?

Nothing on the showcase's website yet about it.

Noticed that as well.

The women's tournament starts on the 22nd. Wondering if perhaps they're gonna' have to ask/tell the 8 women's teams to practice somewhere else in advance of their quarterfinals? Originally there were no men's games scheduled for the 21st, so now the arena (presumably) wouldn't be available for women's teams practices. That might not sit too well with Muffet McGraw and Dawn Staley, the head coaches of the last two national champions.

I think you're missing the point here. Playing Washington was never a for-sure thing. If the Gophers lose to Texas A&M, we'd be playing Santa Clara (not Washington, unless there's a massive upset). This is better because we are guaranteed two power-6 teams no matter what in this event. Also, with the Gophers already down a non-conference game up until this announcement, would you rather take your chances for another non-conference game with Santa Clara or a schedule-destroying team that has a really good chance of ending up 300+? Santa Clara might not be a good team, but I doubt they'll kill our non-conference SOS.

I think the point you are missing is that we had about a 50/50 shot to end up with Washington or Santa Clara. Getting only Santa Clara likely would have hurt our overall SOS, and getting only Washington likely would have helped it. Adding both basically splits the difference.

As far as adding a 300+ team just to get to 11 games, I think Pitino is too smart to do that so I don't think it was ever on the table. He would have just stayed at ten nonconf games, because adding an 11th opponent in the 300s would have likely hurt us overall.

It's a good move in that we get to 11 nonconf games without adding a 300+ opponent. But it doesn't change much in terms of overall schedule strength.

Ask SS. The preseason SOS rankings he did pretty much stay the exact same.

It's a good move in that we get to 11 nonconf games without adding a 300+ opponent. But it doesn't change much in terms of overall schedule strength.

Ask SS. The preseason SOS rankings he did pretty much stay the exact same.

Correct.

We are still waiting to hear from Creative Charters (2 games and maybe 3) regarding our trip to Vancouver. So until we know we don't know either. Will stay in touch as we know...

We are still waiting to hear from Creative Charters (2 games and maybe 3) regarding our trip to Vancouver. So until we know we don't know either. Will stay in touch as we know...

They contacted me with email and gave me the option to stay an extra day for $100-150 per person or come home as originally planned. We chose to come home on Wednesday so we could have Thanksgiving dinner with family.

Any official word yet on this third game in Vancouver? Still no official schedule change on Gopher web site or the showcase website.

For whomever is going to Vancouver don't forget to have a Jappa Dog. Very tasty.

What's your favorite? There is one close to the hotel in Vancouver - so will have to have one or two.

Top Bottom