The Athletic: Replacing Rodney Smith

Ogee Ogilthorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
Yes, it's a pay site but a good article.

https://theathletic.com/520169/2018/09/12/rodney-smith-injury-where-do-the-gophers-go-from-here-bryce-williams-mohamed-ibrahim-pj-fleck/

Not a LOT of new information, other than Fleck still being pretty definitive that Brooks WILL play 4 games by the end of the year; I haven't followed EXACTLY how Brooks' recovery has gone so it must be sufficiently advanced that he has no doubts about him being available by the end of the year, which is GREAT news; the Gophers will need him.

He also says Ibrahim WILL play this Saturday against Miami; there have been mixed thoughts on that here about how severe his injury was, how gingerly he was moving in pre-game before Fresno, etc. That's good to know.

With Ibrahim apparently playing this Saturday, one of the things to follow will clearly be if Williams or Ibrahim separates themselves pounding the ball on the ground against Miami. Should give us a good idea of where the RB situation will be going into the B1G slate.

I think Edmonds could be a wild-card in the equation. He is probably going to be a "4-game" player - unless the coaches think they really need him this year. Assuming Smith and Brooks are back and healthy in 2019, they could always use Edmonds in a larger role this year, and let Edmonds be a "4-game" player next year.

I think Edmonds could be a wild-card in the equation. He is probably going to be a "4-game" player - unless the coaches think they really need him this year. Assuming Smith and Brooks are back and healthy in 2019, they could always use Edmonds in a larger role this year, and let Edmonds be a "4-game" player next year.

I really hope we have to figure out how to keep 4-5 stud RB's happy next year. :)

Top Bottom