Former Gopher Kim Royston was named athletics director at Southwest High School

per Shama:

Former Gophers football player Kim Royston was named athletics director at Southwest High School in Minneapolis earlier this summer.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

:drink:

http://www.southwestjournal.com/news/schools/2018/07/southwest-hires-royston-as-athletic-director/

Kim Royston will start the position on July 30, new Southwest principal Michael Favor announced July 23. Royston spent the past year at Shakopee and previously was an administrative intern/dean of students, athletic director and football coach in Robbinsdale Area Schools.

“As a proud resident of the Southwest community, Kim is highly invested in and committed to utilizing his successful academic, leadership, and administrative experience to support the educational, athletic and social and emotional needs of every student, every day,” Favor wrote in a letter.

Royston earned his bachelor’s and master’s degrees from the University of Minnesota and also completed the K–12 principal licensure program at St. Cloud State University. A football standout at Cretin-Derham Hall, Royston played two seasons for the Gophers after transferring from the University of Wisconsin in 2008. He earned Minnesota’s internal defensive player of the year honors in 2011 and was also a two-time captain and a Distinguished Scholar as designated by the Big Ten.

Congrats Kim!!! So happy for him! Couldn't happen to a nicer guy from what I've been told!

From what I recall of Kim as a player, he was an excellent student, a heck of a defensive player, was very articulate and I think Southwest will be very lucky to have him as an athletic/activities Director. He will help provide many opportunities for the young men and women who are students at Southwest. It is always great to see one of the Student Athletes and graduates of the University of Minnesota staying here in Minnesota to help influence and shape the futures of and to provide opportunities for Minnesota kids! Well done Kim! Thanks for your commitment to help make our world a better place!

Last edited:

I think sportsfan24 reported this a month or two ago. I honestly don't know how he knew that.

Not being sarcastic, I just don't know.

What does a HS athletic director... do?

The same things a college athletic director does (minus fundraising) - hire/fire coaches and staff, build schedules, promote the program in the community and beyond, etc.

Gopher fans love us some Kim. I hope he is preparing himself for a major role at the U. He will excel!

Good to see, I went to high school at Southwest and like that they got a former Gopher and southwest Minneapolis resident!

Hire/Fire and evaluate coaches/advisors
Coordinate transportation for activities
Manage athletics/activities budgets
Schedule games/events
Supervise the majority of school events
Helps programs maintain compliance with State level & school eligibility policies
Hire officials for events
Serve as contact for media & oftentimes run a schools social media accounts
Deals with any complaints from parents,etc
Serves as liaison between the school and conference, state organizations as well as other schools.
Helps keep track of uniform, equipment inventories and helps manage facilities
Fundraising is involved in the job for many schools

Many ADs also have other responsibilities at the school as well such as teaching a few hours, dealing with discipline issues as a part time Dean of Students/Assistant Principal as well. Overall it is a busy job where a person wears many hats in the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do AD's at larger High Schools generally do other things besides AD related work? Like teach a class or two?

Edit: GopherND725 beat me and answered my question above.

Do AD's at larger High Schools generally do other things besides AD related work? Like teach a class or two?

Not usually. Some may still coach / lead an activity though.

The same things a college athletic director does (minus fundraising) - hire/fire coaches and staff, build schedules, promote the program in the community and beyond, etc.

Unless you're Mike Grant.

At bigger schools most ADs do not have other responsibilities beyond AD. They most likely have an admin asst, as well as in many cases an assistant activities director.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would imagine the size of school/district plays a role too. AD at Eden Prairie is probably a lot different than AD at Brooklyn Center.

Actually, I think fundraising is still a part of it, just different than college. Finding companies to advertise at their events, etc. Helps buy new jerseys...

Top Bottom