what are we gonna do with all of these JC DB's?

The ESPN Big Ten blogger essentially hit the nail on the head to me. He said that the key will be O-line improvement(all signs look to be heading that way) and plugging holes on the Dline (perhaps a concern, but we'll see). I think that these two and depth/conditioning will be the keys to victory next year.

It's hard to predict how these kids will mature. What they'll always be is fast. So, I believe and I think Brew has said as much is that you recruit these kids and some add so much muscle they become perfect as OLB's.

The second thing I'd like to add, is we have a fairly large Junior class, we'll have a dropoff in depth after they graduate. Bringing in Juco's helps alleviate that problem.

Thirdly, as the program improves we'll bring in better and better talent. A juco kid means we'll have an additional schollie that much sooner. It makes for a larger class later when we have a better shot at the 4*'s. It's a bit like money in the bank, so to speak.

Except to fill unexpected depth problems I'm not sure we'll be relying so heavily on juco's after next year.

I see everyone's points on getting depth which is an obvious need. But like the one recruit said the gophers are wanting to bring in 5 db's this year. Now I know that things could change and so forth, but if they do stick to that and Paige and Leon commit...we have our 5 DB's for the year.

A lot of guys have said that we still need to be bringing in JC players to fill the gap and provide immediate depth. I agree with that, but let me put this situation in front of you.

You have one scholly left and want to bring in a CB. Do you give it to Carter or Paige?

I personnaly think that bringing in 3 JC DB's in this class when you are only going to be bringing in 5 overall is a bit of a mistake.

I would take a class of Carter, Lewis, Paige OR Robinson, Leon, and Watkins over Paige, Robinson, Lewis, Leon, and Watkins anyday. I don't remember the last time we had a chance at a CB like Carter.

Maybe they will make an exception for Carter though and bring in six. I don't know.

Of course Paige and Leon need to commit though first. If they don't then there is no purpose for this conversation.

with Robinson gone, Carter a fading chance and Paige or Leon each still a crapshoot this post seems horribly premature just half a week later. Lets hope in hind sight we can get a couple high quality defensive backs in this class.

Next year we'll be very deep for a Gopher team!

with Robinson gone, Carter a fading chance and Paige or Leon each still a crapshoot this post seems horribly premature just half a week later. Lets hope in hind sight we can get a couple high quality defensive backs in this class.

I'm not sure why you think Paige is a "crapshoot". He has had Minnesota at the top of his list for a long time now. Before he came he said that he wanted to visit Minnesota and then take one more OV elsewhere to make sure that it is the right call. Mark it down, he'll be a Gopher.

Leon is a little bit more of a challenge to gauge because he is down to Minnesota, Oregon, and possibly USC although they haven't offered. He is a kid from Miami so none of them are home town schools. I like our chances because he knows he would step in and play at Minnesota or Oregon (unsure at USC) and I'll take our chances when we have both Brewster and BPT on our side.

Carter is the crapshoot but we have back up plans.

I'm not sure why you think Paige is a "crapshoot". He has had Minnesota at the top of his list for a long time now. Before he came he said that he wanted to visit Minnesota and then take one more OV elsewhere to make sure that it is the right call. Mark it down, he'll be a Gopher.

Leon is a little bit more of a challenge to gauge because he is down to Minnesota, Oregon, and possibly USC although they haven't offered. He is a kid from Miami so none of them are home town schools. I like our chances because he knows he would step in and play at Minnesota or Oregon (unsure at USC) and I'll take our chances when we have both Brewster and BPT on our side.

Perfectly stated! I agree word for word.

Grunkiejr, Actually according to Leon himself he does have an offer from USC already. Please share what the U's backup plans that you mentioned.

Top Bottom