STrib: Gophers RB plot thickens: freshmen get first crack, but Brooks will re-emerge

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Randy:

A day after announcing that running back Rodney Smith, the Gophers’ leading rusher and all-purpose threat, would miss the remainder of the season, coach P.J. Fleck on Tuesday addressed what’s ahead for his team’s backfield.

Getting the first crack at replacing Smith, the two-time team MVP who tore his left anterior cruciate knee ligament on the third offensive play Saturday night against Fresno State, likely will be true freshman Bryce Williams, who rushed 25 times for 87 yards against Fresno State in relief of Smith.

The Sarasota, Fla., native is listed in an “or” situation with redshirt freshman Mohamed Ibrahim as the starter against Miami (Ohio) on Saturday. Ibrahim, however, dressed but didn’t play against Fresno State because of a left knee injury suffered in the opener against New Mexico State. Fleck said Ibrahim looked good in individual drills Tuesday.

“I expect him to play; it just depends how much,” the coach said.

Adding a longer-term twist to the plot is the status of senior Shannon Brooks, who has rushed for more than 1,700 yards in his career. Brooks suffered a knee injury just before spring practice, and Fleck initially ruled him out for the 2018 season. But a new redshirt rule the NCAA adopted in June allows players to participate in up to four games without losing a year of eligibility. That made Brooks a possibility to play this fall.

Fleck said Brooks participated in semi-contact drills for the first time Tuesday.

“You could tell he was like a kid in a candy store,” he said. “Big smile on his face, because he was finally involved in some real football. But it’s going to take a little bit of time [for Brooks to return].”

One thing Fleck won’t do is use up Brooks’ final season of eligibility this fall.

“I am not going to play him more than the four games. I made it very clear to him and his family,” Fleck said. “There’s a strategy. We might have to play him sooner, but I highly doubt it. … We have a plan, and I’ll keep that plan to ourselves, but he’ll play four games by the end of the year.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...-but-shannon-brooks-will-re-emerge/493000271/

Go Gophers!!

“I am not going to play him more than the four games. I made it very clear to him and his family,” Fleck said. “There’s a strategy. We might have to play him sooner, but I highly doubt it. … We have a plan, and I’ll keep that plan to ourselves, but he’ll play four games by the end of the year.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...-but-shannon-brooks-will-re-emerge/493000271/

Go Gophers!!

Betting that PLAN is either IA, NEB, WIS, BOWL or if not ready early, PUR, NW, WIS, BOWL

I'd prefer WIS, B10 CHAMP, CFB semi, CFB final

Betting that PLAN is either IA, NEB, WIS, BOWL or if not ready early, PUR, NW, WIS, BOWL

I'd prefer WIS, B10 CHAMP, CFB semi, CFB final

Completely agree. I think they're targeting the IA game to unleash him, if healthy, and then see how the rest of the schedule unfolds with getting to a bowl being a priority along with rivalry games.

Play him in winnable games.

Agree and also I would say not to worry about the bowl game. I think getting to the bowl game is more important and then have the younger guys play in the bowl game.

Agree and also I would say not to worry about the bowl game. I think getting to the bowl game is more important and then have the younger guys play in the bowl game.

Agreed. I wish Bowls and Championship Games didn't count toward the 4 (or that it was 3 + postseason), but 4 is still better than 0, so I shouldn't complain.

This season getting to a Bowl is more important than risking not getting there just so that if you do you might win.

I wonder if the next step with this rule is that they don't just say you get to play 56 total games regardless of year.

You can play 11 per year or 5 years plus one more or 13 for 4 years and 4 more, etc.

This would ease the issue on the medical red-shirts, etc.

Not only does Rodney’s injury suck for him it also probably takes away Shannon’s season to be The Guy in 2019. Wonder if that would influence a plan if he is healthy soon?

Not only does Rodney’s injury suck for him it also probably takes away Shannon’s season to be The Guy in 2019. Wonder if that would influence a plan if he is healthy soon?

Wishbone next year!

THIS. May not be ready for Maryland, so how about Iowa, Nebraska, Purdue, NW.

I would say only use up all four of his games in the regular season if we need that to get bowl eligible. If not, then save the last one for the bowl game.

Top Bottom