ESPN: Meet 11 new QBs who could make a big impact in college football (Annexstad)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

There are 130 FBS teams, and by my count, 45 of them have a new quarterback who never started for his current team before this season. Everybody knows all there is to know about Tua Tagovailoa, so I won't spend much time on him. Instead, I have picked out 11 of the new quarterbacks that I find the most intriguing and impactful besides Alabama's quarterback.

The true freshman walk-on: Zack Annexstad, Minnesota. The Golden Gophers are starting a true freshman walk-on quarterback. That is a rarity in college football, but recently Baker Mayfield did so at Texas Tech, and it worked out pretty well for him. Annexstad is not your typical walk-on quarterback as he was my No. 94 rated quarterback out of high school and those guys usually land scholarships. Last year, he beat out highly-touted Artur Sitkowski to win the IMG Academy starting job, and Sitkowski won the Rutgers starting quarterback job this season. Annexstad has been a game manager so far, and the Gophers figure to open it up more as he gains experience. I expect Annexstad to lead the Gophers to a bowl game this year. Annexstad is clearly a walk-on in name only as he chose to walk on to free up a scholarship for another player who needed it more, which shows he is mature beyond his years.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...et-11-new-quarterbacks-make-big-impact-season

Go Gophers!!

Scholly brought Faalele in. Family bleeds Maroon and Gold. Started the season with 2 walk-ons.

382.gif

Awesome to be the cover story! He's an impressive young man.

This guy clearly has it all together. An underdog most of his life and doesn't allow hurdles to get in his way. Sets a goal and goes for it.

this writer gets it

Yeah, the media really likes to hype the "walk on" angle.

Yes, it is factual, but requires a number of asterisks. Zach had scholarship offers, he is a PWO, and the fact that he deferred to allow one of his buddies room.

But that's media these days, the more sensational the more clicks...

But in the end, this is good exposure for him and the Gopher program.

per ESPN:

There are 130 FBS teams, and by my count, 45 of them have a new quarterback who never started for his current team before this season. Everybody knows all there is to know about Tua Tagovailoa, so I won't spend much time on him. Instead, I have picked out 11 of the new quarterbacks that I find the most intriguing and impactful besides Alabama's quarterback.

The true freshman walk-on: Zack Annexstad, Minnesota. The Golden Gophers are starting a true freshman walk-on quarterback. That is a rarity in college football, but recently Baker Mayfield did so at Texas Tech, and it worked out pretty well for him. Annexstad is not your typical walk-on quarterback as he was my No. 94 rated quarterback out of high school and those guys usually land scholarships. Last year, he beat out highly-touted Artur Sitkowski to win the IMG Academy starting job, and Sitkowski won the Rutgers starting quarterback job this season. Annexstad has been a game manager so far, and the Gophers figure to open it up more as he gains experience. I expect Annexstad to lead the Gophers to a bowl game this year. Annexstad is clearly a walk-on in name only as he chose to walk on to free up a scholarship for another player who needed it more, which shows he is mature beyond his years.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...et-11-new-quarterbacks-make-big-impact-season

Go Gophers!!

That, and talent, is why he's starting. He's just a great teammate.

PWO Zack Annexstad is becoming a media darling. That is, if the Gophers continue win or play tough opponents close. This is great recruiting publicity.

The 2018 edition of Gopher Football are showcasing some remarkable talent and will be entertaining to watch the rest of the season barring injuries.

Top Bottom