Coughlin musings

CWCWCW

Reaction score
It seemed Coughlin was rotated out for a lot of the game Saturday. I don't know his play count but I would often see him on the sideline.
P.J. has shown flexibility with Green and Winfield. He is willing to move them around as they are good football players that can line up in multiple positions.
Coughlin is a stallion but is probably too lean to seal the edge against linemen that outweigh him by 60+ pounds.
What do you think of Carter moving around a bit? I think he could handle it. It would give opponents another thing to prepare for. Most importantly, it would mean one of our best players is on the field more often.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I think he should be playing OLB.

Unfortunately we don’t currently have any DEs who are good at rushing the passer. The D-line is going to take a few years to get it where we want it.

I think that a guy like Coughlin probably can't bulk up much more without PEDs, so if he plays at the next level it'll be as a LB.

He has a tough task. What a linebacker he would be. It’s really too bad.

Unfortunately we don’t currently have any DEs who are good at rushing the passer. The D-line is going to take a few years to get it where we want it.

Fleck has really zeroed in on the D-line group with both high school and junior college players. The unit has been a source of frustration for me going back to the Mason era.

In a true 3-4 he could play the OLB spot in the line. Might suit him very well!

What about Devers? He played great two years ago.

As has been stated MANY times on GH, D Line is the toughest position to recruit. There just aren't a lot of good D Lineman coming out of high school - and the ones that are, get snapped up by the Blue Blood programs.

As has been stated MANY times on GH, D Line is the toughest position to recruit. There just aren't a lot of good D Lineman coming out of high school - and the ones that are, get snapped up by the Blue Blood programs.

We have a great d-line class coming in. Maybe the best of the last 40 years. Coupled with the 2018 class, we are set up well for the future.

We have a great d-line class coming in. Maybe the best of the last 40 years. Coupled with the 2018 class, we are set up well for the future.

Fingers crossed, I hope you are right JG, and that the class lives up to the expectations. I can't remember the last time we had a great D line that put pressure on the QB and stuffed the run.

What about Devers? He played great two years ago.

devers has one move: speed rush around the tackle on long passing plays.

he has a long way to go to be a more complete player.

Agreed. Some people are saying he's playing more this year? Looking at the stats so far, he recorded no defensive stats vs NM St and had 1 assist tackle vs Fresno.

I don't think he was ever a great player. He just had a few memorable hits. Like you said, he has a ways to go to be a good overall DE.

Agreed. Some people are saying he's playing more this year? Looking at the stats so far, he recorded no defensive stats vs NM St and had 1 assist tackle vs Fresno.

He's been on the field a good amount, just hasn't done much.

I trust you there, I haven’t been looking for him. But if he isn’t getting stats, makes you wonder if coaches will want to keep putting him out there as opposed to other guys with high potential like Mafe, Esezi, etc

Top Bottom