Flecks biggest win so far as gophers coach

What is Flecks biggest win so far?

• Total voters

West Fargo Gopher Fan

Section 114 Row 2
Reaction score
Fleck said today he isn't sure Fresno State is his biggest win so far as Gophers HC. What is it?

I put Nebraska,while that was a team that clearly quit, it was B1G team with a big name

Fresno is a very close 2nd

To date, not a lot of impressive wins. But, while over played and over used, "Winning is coming"

Nebraska. Conference win > Non-conference non-P5 win > Oregon St sucks

While Nebraska was a big win for us last year; it didn't put us in a bowl game or get momentum going for a strong finish.

Alot can be said about the quality of our NC opponents, Fresno State was (and is) quite good. A win like that can be a spring-board to bigger things. The fact that it was almost all Freshman led, I would say it was big for the rest of the year and the team's future.

It was important; if not big.

Gun to my head, I pick the Neb game. But tbh, neither of the last year's games count for me ... neither was a great opponent, and the season didn't amount to anything.

Fresno might be an important early indicator ... but if this season goes far better than we hoped, then there will be a bigger win down the trough for us yet this year. If it goes south ... well then the year didn't amount to anything. If we win enough to make it to a bowl, then probably the last conf win will be the most important thus far in his Gophers career.

I think this Fresno game, considering the Rodney Smith injury, is potentially a big turning point. If we had lost to Fresno I suspect anxiety would have set in (for the fans if not the players/coaches). But, after seeing the way our kids stepped up, I have nothing but excitement and optimism for our future.

Fresno IMO was much better than a demoralized Nebraska team that had quit. I don’t care about the name. On a national perception level for the average unaware fan that Neb win probably looks better.

I don't think we'll know until later in the season. Maybe the end of the season.
This could turn out to be a big win.
The way the game went, it felt like a big win.

But if Fresno goes 3-7 the rest of the way, it will be a head scratcher at best.

Nebby is still the biggest but I don't think it did much for most of the players.
This game should be a confidence builder for many of the freshman who had key roles as well as TJ and Carpenter who both had huge roles in a tight game.

A win over Iowa probably trumps this quickly.
A win over WIS trumps all.

Hopefully we will have many more wins this year that make these three choices irrelevant

The Fresno team the Gophers just beat would have whipped that sorry Nebraska team last year.

This was a much more important as a building block win considering all the young guys that made big contributions.

I picked Fresno State. They are a better team that Nebraska was (is?), plus the Rodney Smith injury and youth on the field.

But, there is something nice about hammering the Huskers, who used to be one of my favorite teams to watch, until they joined the B1G.

I don't think we'll know until later in the season. Maybe the end of the season.
This could turn out to be a big win.
The way the game went, it felt like a big win.

But if Fresno goes 3-7 the rest of the way, it will be a head scratcher at best.

Nebby is still the biggest but I don't think it did much for most of the players.
This game should be a confidence builder for many of the freshman who had key roles as well as TJ and Carpenter who both had huge roles in a tight game.

A win over Iowa probably trumps this quickly.
A win over WIS trumps all.

My Lord. Biggest win so far...meaning up to this point.

In terms of overall scoring and defense, I'd picked the 54-21 win against Nebraska last year.

For game impact on the program moving forward, I'd pick the Fresno State 21-14 win. So, in terms of impact to the future the Fresno State game maybe a pivotal game when we look back down the road.

Last edited:

I think this Fresno game, considering the Rodney Smith injury, is potentially a big turning point. If we had lost to Fresno I suspect anxiety would have set in (for the fans if not the players/coaches). But, after seeing the way our kids stepped up, I have nothing but excitement and optimism for our future.

It's still going to set in at some point this season. Predictions say we're going to drop about 5 games at some point. We're not out of the negativity woods yet. Though Fleck has worked wonders for morale.

I think our win over Ohio State later this year will be his biggest win, followed by winning the Axe this year.

I am optimistic!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd go with Fresno State. This game may have been the turning of the tide for this program. This win should all but send the Gophers bowling unless they lose some ugly games. I can see this team winning 7 or even 8 games now.

I'll go with Neb, Fresno St. in the long run may carry more meaning, but conference win > noncon start of season.

Last edited:

We're two games in to Fleck's first year. There hasn't been a big win, yet. Beat Iowa and Wisconsin, then take on the big boyz of the East and you've got big wins. So far, we have a couple of nice wins.

I voted for the Fresno State game because it showed me more about the direction the team is heading. Not taking anything away from the big win over the Huskers last year, but I had already written last year off as a transition year. This year is a totally different story. All of the youth on the team, coming back from your #1 running back going down, holding a 10-win team from last year to 2 td's, one coming on a fumble deep in our own territory, only 3 penalties. All of these things point to a well-coached team in year 2. Remember all the targeting calls we had 2 years ago? They are definitely in our rear view mirror. There's a lot of football to be played this year but I am seeing more "winnable" games (Nebraska, Purdue, Northwestern, and possibly Maryland and Iowa) than I did when I looked at the season prior to the NMS game 2 weeks ago.

Fresno IMO was much better than a demoralized Nebraska team that had quit. I don’t care about the name. On a national perception level for the average unaware fan that Neb win probably looks better.

I agree with what you have said, except I would change your last thought a bit. On a national perception level for the average aware fan of CFB, the Fresno St. win probably looks better.

I agree with what you have said, except I would change your last thought a bit. On a national perception level for the average aware fan of CFB, the Fresno St. win probably looks better.

True, but for many fans football doesn’t exist west of the Mississippi.

At least the University of Minnesota is mostly east of the Mississippi...

Tough choice, good question! I went with Nebraska. I loved the Fresno State win. The team fought through adversity and defeated an experienced team that will likely go on to have a good year. However, it's hard to beat watching the Gophers curb stomp a Big Ten team, especially when that team is Nebraska. I know they were having a down year, but the satisfaction is still there, similar to winning vs Michigan in 2014.

I went Fresno, but really tough question. I felt like Fresno will mean more to this year than Nebraska meant to last year. I told my buddy when we left the game that I felt like the Gophers needed that game - a close game they had to struggle to win against a good team - to get themselves ready for B1G play. If they win one upset game I think it'll be fair to look at the Fresno game and say that helped give the team the confidence to pull it off.

If the season doesn't go well, then the answer is probably Nebraska or none of the above. The win against Nebraska was awesome, but when you follow that up by getting spanked twice, it obviously didn't do much for the team.

Top Bottom