Rodney Smith back next year!

Airguard6

Reaction score
Just heard on KFAN from PJ that Rodney Smith will be back next year to play! Really good news for next years squad. I hope his rehab is successful.

with the proviso that Smith needs to receive a medical redshirt - or, if you prefer, a waiver from the NCAA for a 6th year in the program. Fleck has said he thinks there is a very strong chance of Smith being approved - but we're still talking about the NCAA here, so anything is possible.

with the proviso that Smith needs to receive a medical redshirt - or, if you prefer, a waiver from the NCAA for a 6th year in the program. Fleck has said he thinks there is a very strong chance of Smith being approved - but we're still talking about the NCAA here, so anything is possible.

Yeah, they've become extremely unpredictable lately with these decisions.

That said, it seems like they've loosened some of their criteria and Rodney would fit in.

I'm assuming this meant that he wants to come back. I think it should be a slam dunk when it comes to him getting the waiver but it's the NCAA so who the hell knows.

I'm thinking there is probably a better chance we burn Nolan's redshirt now and redshirt him next season.

Andy Greder@andygreder

With Rodney Smith's season-ending knee injury, #Gophers list Mohamed Ibrahim or Bryce Williams on running back depth chart. On @KFAN1003 radio show, coach PJ Fleck said true freshman Nolan Edmonds could "possibly" get some action, too.

Devil's advocate:

Say that Ibrahim and Williams set the world on fire. Is there even a place to "come back to" for either Brooks or RS?? Or is that blasphemy, and they'll find a place for either or both of those to have an impact in the offense?

ya, the NCAA doesnt rule on those things until after the season so must just be his desire to come back.

Devil's advocate:

Say that Ibrahim and Williams set the world on fire. Is there even a place to "come back to" for either Brooks or RS?? Or is that blasphemy, and they'll find a place for either or both of those to have an impact in the offense?

Yes, there is a place for both of them.

Devil's advocate:

1. When is the last time the Gophers made it through a season without one or both of their top running backs being out for multiple games? Even if both RS and SB get beat out at RB, they would get playing time. Not to mention special teams.

2. If we have two RB's that can beat out a player that has a chance to play Sundays that's a good problem to have.

3. Since Williams is a true frosh, I'd think they'd consider redshirting if RS, SB and Ibrahim are healthy.

4. You are assuming just because they may do great this year means they'll beat the others out next Spring/Fall. Not necessarily true.

5. The chances of both Ibrahim and Williams beating out RS and SB if they are healthy are pretty small. That's not a shot at Ibrahim and Williams, it's a statement of how rare players as special as Smith and Brooks are.

Just heard on KFAN from PJ that Rodney Smith will be back next year to play! Really good news for next years squad. I hope his rehab is successful.

Not a chance in hell he will be back regardless of the NCAA deciding on a 6th year. He will be moving on and be regarded as a Gopher great.

Not a chance in hell he will be back regardless of the NCAA deciding on a 6th year. He will be moving on and be regarded as a Gopher great.

I think there's at least a 50% chance he's back. He might want to solidify draft stock and prove he's healed from his knee injury, get a free master's degree. At this point he'd be a free agent at best.

I want Rodney this year...

Next year we will be fine with the young guys.

Rodney said today (I guess I read somewhere) that he wants to come back because it's something special here.

PJ said they can't file paperwork for hardship until after Wisconsin similar to Winfield. But Rodney checks every box on the requirements to get the 6th year.
So he can't say 100%, but he checks every box.

So right now it sounds like he'll be back and Rodney should look at pursuing another minor / major or perhaps a Master's Degree.

Top Bottom