Tray Jackson is 110% committed to being a Gopher!!!

Trying to think of a gopher comp for how Tray is described here.
Kris Humphries? Rick Rickert? Courtney James? These were all no doubt more highly rated than Tray but am having a hard time coming up with many gopher stretch 4 types. Am I missing someone who would be a good comp for Jackson?

Excellent job recruiting a good player. Let's keep it up and get a guard.

Nicely done! I’m happy we were able to get a solid recruit committed before the end of September. Hopefully this can give us some momentum to fill the class early. Also, good to see the Kyle Lindsted hire pay an early dividend. Would be awesome if we can develop a pipeline with Sunrise Christian.

Last edited:

His best offers were Oklahoma, Mizzou and Xavier. All programs with much greater success than we have had. This is a good prospect.

Good decision Tray, You are Very welcome here in Minnesota!

Super excited about this commitment. I love his quickness and athleticism for a 6-8 guy. Also nice to see some shots from three-land. Great start to the class! How does Jackson compare with Zeke Nnaji? Similar players?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trying to think of a gopher comp for how Tray is described here.
Kris Humphries? Rick Rickert? Courtney James? These were all no doubt more highly rated than Tray but am having a hard time coming up with many gopher stretch 4 types. Am I missing someone who would be a good comp for Jackson?

His game looks more like Coffey than the others mentioned above, to me. Slower left handed release on his shots, willing to attack the rim. Nice player whoever he compares to...he has a lot of potential. Whoever said Miles Bridges...I can see that comparison. Go Gophers!

Like dpo said, there's the Sunrise connection.

This is a great get. The kid is certainly explosive. I don't know what his 3pt shooting numbers were like in the EYBL, but there seems to be some potential there. Great replacement for Murphy.

I just read that he shot 38% from three on EYBL. Pretty good for a big guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great! I hope his commitment encourages other recruits the Gopher have been after.

Great news and a really important get for Pitino. I was impressed with his highlights when it was reported we were on him previously. He needs to get much stronger to play the 4 and he needs to quicken his release on his jumper, but you can see so much potential there: athletic, bouncy left hander, that can put it on the floor a little bit at 6'8. I could see Jackson being able to defend multiple positions as well. Looking at his EYBL stats, Tray was the 3rd leading scorer behind Brandon Newman and Romeo Weems for a Mean Streets team that went 8-8 in EYBL play. He shot 49.4% from the field, 66.7 from the line (love the 5 attempts per game lead the team) and 38.7% from 3 (albeit on just about 2 attempts per game so we are talking small sample size here: 12-31 so still encouraging). Tray was also second in rebounding at 5.4 a game and blocked 1.1 shots per game and kept his fouls down at 2.3 per game. If there was one red flag in his stats it is probably his team leading 2.0 turnovers per game against just 1.1 assists per game.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Vue-UV98r2w" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

per Marcus:

Gophers coach Richard Pitino landed his first recruit in the 2019 class in four-star forward Tray Jackson less than 24 hours after his official visit this weekend.

Jackson, a 6-8, 205-pound standout at Sunrise Christian Academy (Bel Aire, Kan.), announced his commitment Monday.

“Minnesota was just different,” Jackson told the Star Tribune. “I’ve been on other visits, but when I got there it felt like the coaches and players were all welcoming and genuine. They said I was a priority. When it comes to recruiting, it’s not just about who wants you, but it’s about who needs you. When I got there, the players said: ‘You can help us get better and, ultimately, make history.’ That’s what I plan on doing.”

Jackson, ranked No. 56 and No. 94 in his class by ESPN.com and 247Sports.com, also made official trips to Oklahoma in June and Seton Hall on Aug. 29. The Detroit area native also considered Oregon, Missouri and Purdue.

Jackson could compete for a power forward spot next fall once the Gophers lose star Jordan Murphy to graduation. On his official visit, Jackson was able to watch Murphy and other Gophers play some games on their new Athletes Village practice court.

“Jordan is just a great player,” Jackson said. “He’s just an animal out there. Amir Coffey was really good, and Isaiah [Washington]. Just watching them you could really tell they’re developing guys. They play fast, and I feel like [their style] fits me the most.”

Jackson’s AAU coach, Tyrone Slaughter, raved about Jackson’s potential impact in the Big Ten.

“When you talk about athleticism, he clearly possesses that,” Slaughter said. “I think the areas I look at Tray are just his versatility as a player: his ability to handle it, shoot it and pass it. He does all of it well. The stronger he gets and more he plays, the more profoundly impactful he will become. His upside is really, really, really high.”

Jackson averaged 13.6 points, 5.4 rebounds, 1.1 blocks and shot 38 percent from three-point range for Meanstreets, his AAU team.

Gophers fans might see mostly dunks with Jackson’s highlight videos.

“But I got a lot more in my bag than what people have seen,” Jackson said. “I know Minnesota will let me show that.”

http://www.startribune.com/four-sta...ommits-to-richard-pitino-s-gophers/492896321/

Go Gophers!!

Solid player. Not as quick as Mile Bridges but similar mold - big, strong, athletic, can go inside or step out. Based on the video looks like he doesn't have much for a mid range game - will need to develop a pull up jumper among other things but what he has to work with looks good.

A lighter Omersa with Coffey type driving, shooting, and handling. Not the passer Coffey is.

A more athletic Dan Coleman. Dan was very under-rated; had he played with an athletic and strong shot blocker at the 5, he would have had a better career.

Interesting that his highlight video didn't have a "M" on it! Glad we got him.

Awesome pickup. That Sunrise connection is looking pretty good so far. Welcome, Tray.

I told you guys not to worry and that Pitino WILL get his players! The rumor mill isn’t always correct and Pitino is not going around telling outsiders who he is perusing.

The local kids better make up their minds soon, because the train is leaving the station with or without them. The Minnesota kids better wake up and realize that there really isn’t a better place to play then at home at the U. Like Tray said, the U plays a fast and flexible style that gives the players a lot of freedom, very player friendly. Pitino also spends a lot of time developing his players.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I told you guys not to worry and that Pitino WILL get his players! The rumor mill isn’t always correct and Pitino is not going around telling outsiders who he is perusing.

The local kids better make up their minds soon, because the train is leaving the station with or without them. The Minnesota kids better wake up and realize that there really isn’t a better place to play then at home at the U. Like Tray said, the U plays a fast and flexible style that gives the players a lot of freedom, very player friendly. Pitino also spends a lot of time developing his players.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pitino should take you on recruiting pitches lol

FWIW, in his latest Scoops Podcast, Doogie tempered excitement a little bit on Jackson. He said Xavier recently dropped out of their recruitment of Jackson, Doogie said he found it interesting that some media outlets reported Tray's comment that he considered Michigan State, Purdue, Oregon, etc., but Doogie went on to say that Michigan State and Oregon did not offer him. He also said Oklahoma's interest in Jackson "cooled" after they tried to get him. Doogie said: "bottom line from what I have been told is there is some potential there. This is a good start, not a great start for the Gophers 2019 recruiting class."

http://www.1500espn.com/tag/the-scoop/

Go Gophers!!

FWIW, in his latest Scoops Podcast, Doogie tempered excitement a little bit on Jackson. He said Xavier recently dropped out of their recruitment of Jackson, Doogie said he found it interesting that some media outlets reported Tray's comment that he considered Michigan State, Purdue, Oregon, etc., but Doogie went on to say that Michigan State and Oregon did not offer him. He also said Oklahoma's interest in Jackson "cooled" after they tried to get him. Doogie said: "bottom line from what I have been told is there is some potential there. This is a good start, not a great start for the Gophers 2019 recruiting class."

Go Gophers!!

Probably just means he was leaning Minnesota the whole time and these schools "cooled" on him after they realized he wasn't coming there. Similar to how the Gophers "cool" on recruits from time to time. Impressive highlight tape none the less, tough to tell what kind of quickness he actually has but looks pretty skilled for his size! good start to the class!

Go Gophers!!

Doogies been taking alot of shots at Pitino the last few months, im guessing hes still bitter they lost his only Gopher source Ben Johnson. Xavier is out of it because they have 3 commits, 2 centers and a pf.

Top Bottom