Creative Backfield 101

MennoSota

Reaction score
With injuries to our running backs, what is a creative backfield the Gophers could put on the field?
I'll start with a backfield of Seth Green, Tanner Morgan and Zack Annexstad being used in an unconventional wildcat option where anyone could run or pass.

I'm all for Winfield as the start RB. He can't be tackled...

Femi averages 6 yards a carry not sure why he dosnt get the ball more.

If Ibrahim and Bryce Williams develop well this year, will they want to transfer knowing they won't see the field til junior year?

I think Seth Green could be quite useful in the backfield, he's tough to bring down and runs well. I think Ibrahim, Williams and Femi-Cole can develop well enough, but if push comes to shove or the team needs to try something different, Green is an option.

I think Femi gets more involved with Williams now.

Ibrahim back in around week 5 or 6 to add to the mix.

Shannon Brooks for last 4 games with whoever is left at that point.

If Ibrahim and Bryce Williams develop well this year, will they want to transfer knowing they won't see the field til junior year?

Why transfer if they would have to wait a year to see the field anyway?

Hypothetical:

If Fleck left the choice up to Shannon, would he choose to play now?

They'll see the field, just look at this year.

With injuries to our running backs, what is a creative backfield the Gophers could put on the field?
I'll start with a backfield of Seth Green, Tanner Morgan and Zack Annexstad being used in an unconventional wildcat option where anyone could run or pass.

So you want two guys on the field that can't block. Defense has very little worry about the run. That doesn't work. I was on offensive staff when we had MarQueis and Adam. We contemplated this exact thing, it just didn't make a lot of sense.

So you want two guys on the field that can't block. Defense has very little worry about the run. That doesn't work. I was on offensive staff when we had MarQueis and Adam. We contemplated this exact thing, it just didn't make a lot of sense.
It's called "creative backfield" not realistic backfield. Have fun with it.

Nah, injuries happen every year and there is no guarantee that Rodney or Shannon will be what they were (man I hope not). They will be needed.

Well being creative to say you're being creative doesn't help you win. Isn't that the point?
This thread is just for fun. Loosen up your sphincter and take one for the team. [emoji41]
What about adding two linemen in the backfield to give Zack extra protection? Or adding two more wide receivers who can run routes out of the backfield?
Let your imagination run. Life's too short to spend it being uptight.

Umm, I'm just fine. I explained to you that it likely doesn't work. Not sure how you misconstrued that into having my "Sphincter too tight". But yeah, you sound like a real fun guy to be around.

Hypothetical:

If Fleck left the choice up to Shannon, would he choose to play now?

Depending on how Shannon feels, I wonder if Shannon and Fleck change their mind about the 4 game limit this year.

Next year could be a log-jam at RB, and Shannon might end up with more carries this year in 5-6 or 8 games this year than if he plays all season next year and 4 games this year. So we might see a change of plans here.

If they clear Brooks he will play even if it means only 6 games.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

In the old single wing systems, all backs passed at times. I'd like to see Winfield doing a Jabrill Peppers on offense now and then - imagine him catching passes!

This thread is just for fun. Loosen up your sphincter and take one for the team. [emoji41]
What about adding two linemen in the backfield to give Zack extra protection? Or adding two more wide receivers who can run routes out of the backfield?

What if we just filled the ball with helium and attach a magnet to it so only our players can hold onto it..... blah, blah.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What if we just filled the ball with helium and attach a magnet to it so only our players can hold onto it..... blah, blah.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is that legal? [emoji23]

Umm, I'm just fine. I explained to you that it likely doesn't work. Not sure how you misconstrued that into having my "Sphincter too tight". But yeah, you sound like a real fun guy to be around.
Well...I knew it wouldn't work...but thanks for explaining why. [emoji56]

I think Femi gets more involved with Williams now.

Ibrahim back in around week 5 or 6 to add to the mix.

Shannon Brooks for last 4 games with whoever is left at that point.

If you do not see Ibrahim in the backfield against Miami-Ohio, you will see him there in Maryland.

I would line up Faalalele, Green, and JFC (Femi-Cole not the other one). Faalele would meet the linebacker in the hole, pick him up and heave him over his head, and then throw him into the safety or any other defender in the area. Green or JFC have a foot race down the seam to pay dirt. Celebration ensues.

I would line up Faalalele, Green, and JFC (Femi-Cole not the other one). Faalele would meet the linebacker in the hole, pick him up and heave him over his head, and then throw him into the safety or any other defender in the area. Green or JFC have a foot race down the seam to pay dirt. Celebration ensues.

Faalele>>William "The Fridge" Perry. Perry's team mates didn't call him The Fridge. They called him "The Biscuit", because he was "One biscuit shy of 350 pounds."

Blake Cashman at Half Back - see gaps at the line of scrimmage and accelerates through with more power and pace than anyone else on the roster.

Top Bottom