Jeff Brohm

UpAndUnder43

Reaction score
I remember a lot of posters praising Brohm for what he did at Purdue last year and rightfully so. The year is still young but it seems like Purdue has taken a big step back from what people expected them to after what they did last year.

Curious to see if it continues down the wrong path, as they are 7.5pt underdogs this weekend vs Missouri.

Kind of interesting to see the difference between their team last year in Brohm Year 1, compared to Fleck Year 1. And now both teams in Year 2.

Hard to judge these coaches in less than 7-8 years.
We're in an instant gratification society, but the most successful coaches are coaches who coach more than 5 years at a place.

He's recruited really well and appears to be a really solid coach. They had a great chance to beat Northwestern and lost on a stupid play. They'll be fine and a real handful for our team. I'm more hopeful Brohm continues to look for greener pastures.

We're in an instant gratification society, but the most successful coaches are coaches who coach more than 5 years at a place.

Yeah, because coaches who don't last 5 years are usually doing terribly in terms of winning, recruiting or graduating players (or a dozen other things). If you've been somewhere for 20 years its because you've done a good job

How long was Fleck at WMU?

...coming from the poster who wanted Claeys fired after one game.

I remember a lot of posters praising Brohm for what he did at Purdue last year and rightfully so. The year is still young but it seems like Purdue has taken a big step back from what people expected them to after what they did last year.

Curious to see if it continues down the wrong path, as they are 7.5pt underdogs this weekend vs Missouri.

Kind of interesting to see the difference between their team last year in Brohm Year 1, compared to Fleck Year 1. And now both teams in Year 2.

Last year’s Purdue Defense was improved from previous year and ended up graduating 7 starters, I believe. As Sparlimb noted, they lost on a stupid play to NW. They also lost on a stupid play to Eastern Michigan. Having said that, I would be surprised if they are not 0-3 by end of Saturday. Missouri is best of 3 they will have played - IMO.

Brohm will do good things in Purdue

Brohm went into Iowa City and defeated the Hawkeyes with a bunch of nobodies. If we had done that people would be ecstatic and searching for excuses for the losses to NW and EMU. Appears he needs a consistent QB and the discipline is obviously not there yet but I’d say it’s way too soon to start beating chests about him failing at Purdue. Particularly after our disastrous 2017 season we have no leg to stand on. PJ just captained the ship to an IMO impressive win vs a good team but the season has yet to unfold. I see a lot of positive signs for both coaches. I don’t believe Purdue will be an easy win.

Brohm went into Iowa City and defeated the Hawkeyes with a bunch of nobodies. If we had done that people would be ecstatic and searching for excuses for the losses to NW and EMU. Appears he needs a consistent QB and the discipline is obviously not there yet but I’d say it’s way too soon to start beating chests about him failing at Purdue. Particularly after our disastrous 2017 season we have no leg to stand on. PJ just captained the ship to an IMO impressive win vs a good team but the season has yet to unfold. I see a lot of positive signs for both coaches. I don’t believe Purdue will be an easy win.

Yeah, it will be interesting if he continues using both QBs throughout the season. They have BC after Mizzou.

...coming from the poster who wanted Claeys fired after one game.

I don't know if this is 100% true.
Which game are you considering his first game?
One of the ones where Kill didn't make the trip.

The blunder he caused in that Michigan game , most wanted him fired the next day

Inside one, we motion and go into pistol......gaaaaa

Wasted too much time in process

Brohm will do good things in Purdue

This is going to be a rough year for Brohm. They will have their hands full with Mizzou and BC. Then their easiest conference games, Indiana, Illinois, Nebraska and us are all on the road.

A lot of people predicted PU would take a step back this year after losing so much on D. Close loss to NW, close loss to EMU despite many turnovers and boneheaded plays. That said, they also made several questionable calls in that game and appear to have a fairly undisciplined team. I don't think the jury can come back on either Brohm or Fleck for a couple more years. If I had to guess, I'd take the direction of the Gophers program over Purdue. I see a HUGE difference in talent on the field for MN vs. what I've seen the past few years. WHen I watch Purdue, I see about the same talent...just better coached.

This is going to be a rough year for Brohm. They will have their hands full with Mizzou and BC. Then their easiest conference games, Indiana, Illinois, Nebraska and us are all on the road.

This year could be struggle, I think he'll have success overall

A lot of people predicted PU would take a step back this year after losing so much on D. Close loss to NW, close loss to EMU despite many turnovers and boneheaded plays. That said, they also made several questionable calls in that game and appear to have a fairly undisciplined team. I don't think the jury can come back on either Brohm or Fleck for a couple more years. If I had to guess, I'd take the direction of the Gophers program over Purdue. I see a HUGE difference in talent on the field for MN vs. what I've seen the past few years. WHen I watch Purdue, I see about the same talent...just better coached.

Define a lot of people? Most media predictions had them ranked third in the West. They mention the loses on defense but predicted the offense would improve enough to overcome the loss of 7 starters on defense.

Too bad we never had a chance to really evaluate Brewster.

Did you listen to him on BTN after the lost to Eastern Michigan? He can be crusty with a nasty streak. He hates losing.

The game I'm considering his first game was his first game.

If you mean this game, then no. I didn't want him fired.

October 5, 2013 2:30 PM at No. 17 Michigan Michigan Stadium • Ann Arbor, MI (Battle for the Little Brown Jug) ABC/ESPN2 L 13–42 111,079

Nor this game.
October 19, 2013 11:00 AM at Northwestern Ryan Field • Evanston, IL ESPN2 W 20–17 36,578

Nor any of these games from 2013:
October 26 11:00 AM No. 21 Nebraska TCF Bank Stadium • Minneapolis, MN ESPN W 34–23 49,995
November 2 2:30 PM at Indiana Memorial Stadium • Bloomington, IN BTN W 42–39 44,625
November 9 11:00 AM Penn State TCF Bank Stadium • Minneapolis, MN (Battle for the Governor's Victory Bell) ESPN2 W 24–10 48,123
November 23 2:30 PM No. 17 Wisconsin No. 23 TCF Bank Stadium • Minneapolis, MN (Battle for Paul Bunyan's Axe) ESPN L 7–20 53,090
November 30 11:00 AM at No. 11 Michigan State Spartan Stadium • East Lansing, MI BTN L 3–14 71,418
December 27 5:00 PM vs. Syracuse* Reliant Stadium • Houston, TX (Texas Bowl) ESPN L 17–21 32,327

If you mean this game, then yes, I agree.
October 31, 2015 6:00 PM #15 Michigan TCF Bank Stadium • Minneapolis, MN (Little Brown Jug) ESPN L 26–29 50,789[12]

Top Bottom