Report: Gophers RB Rodney Smith suffers torn ACL

DanielHouse

Reaction score
Gophers star running back Rodney Smith has suffered a season-ending left knee injury, according to a report by The Athletic's Jon Krawczynksi. KSTP's Darren Wolfson reported it was a torn ACL.

Smith was injured following an 11-yard screen pass and did not return to the game. It appeared he sustained a non-contact injury as trainers evaluated his left leg. He spent time in the medical tent, but hobbled around the sidelines for the remainder of the night. Head coach P.J. Fleck said he would provide an update on his status as soon as more information was available. Fleck speaks with Twin Cities reporters on Tuesday afternoon.

The senior has sprinted for 2,958 yards and 21 touchdowns on 650 career carries. Smith has also tallied 419 receiving and 641 kick return yards. He was just 1,092 all-purpose yards short of breaking Darrell Thompson's school record. It is unclear whether Smith will be approved for a medical redshirt from the NCAA. Also, Smith would be in his sixth year of eligibility and may prefer entering the NFL Draft.

Redshirt freshman Mohamed Ibrahim is recovering from an injury, so the team will be relying upon true freshman Bryce Williams. Williams had 87 yards on 25 carries in Saturday's 21-14 win over Fresno State. Veteran running back Shannon Brooks could also return in the late stages of the season as he recovers from a leg injury.

Stay tuned for more updates as this story continues to develop.

Last edited:

I would think he'd be eligible for a medical red shirt.

I'm not sure his draft stock though, I wouldn't think more than mid-late round pick even prior to the knee injury

Feel bad for the young man, he really looked good this year. Hopefully he can recover and can play again to the level he was used to. Fortunately ACLs are not the death blow they once were.

Need the young fellas to step up!

Sucks for Rodney. Feel awful for a kid who works hard, does everything right and gets hurt.

He'll be back, I'm sure of it. Brooks and Smith will reunite!

This sets us up for a great year next year assuming Rodney is back with a medical waiver.

This sets us up for a great year next year assuming Rodney is back with a medical waiver.

Also assuming he wants to play another year. IDK how likely he is to get a medical redshirt, but I'm more worried about him not wanting to play another year in college.

Wonder if Brooks can play at all this year? What a shame for Rodney, a great competitor.

Wonder if Brooks can play at all this year? What a shame for Rodney, a great competitor.

Pretty sure PJ has already stated that Brooks is recovering well and they plan to play him for the 4 games while still keeping his redshirt

Press release from the U:

Rodney Smith To Miss Remainder Of Season

University of Minnesota football coach P.J. Fleck announced today that senior running back Rodney Smith will miss the rest of the season as a result of an injury sustained in the first quarter against Fresno State last Saturday.

“I am devastated for Rodney, but I know he will keep his oar in the water and continue to move forward and attack his rehabilitation process,” said Fleck. “He is a leader on this team and I look forward to him working with our young players as we continue to grow this season.

“We will file a waiver for a sixth year of eligibility with the NCAA right after the season is over. We believe Rodney meets all the requirements for the waiver and fully expect that it will be granted.”

In two games this year, Smith rushed for 154 yards on 25 carries and also added 32 receiving yards and 37 kick return yards.

Smith is one of the best to ever wear the Maroon and Gold. In 39 career games, he has rushed 651 times (fifth all-time in school history) for 2,959 yards (seventh all-time in school history) and scored 21 (2 in 2015; 16 in 2016 and 3 in 2017) career rushing touchdowns (tied for ninth in school history). His 4,073 all-purpose yards (2,959 rushing, 451 receiving and 663 kick return) ranks seventh in school history.

In his career, Smith has been named All-Big Ten Third Team (2016) and All-Big Ten Honorable Mention (2017). He also received the team's Bronko Nagurski Award (Team MVP) in 2016 and 2017 and in 2016 he was honored with the team's Bruce Smith Award (Outstanding Offensive Player) and was named the Bob McNamara Offensive Back of the Year.

Smith has already graduated with a degree in Human Development and Youth Studies. During his time in Dinkytown, he has volunteered with the Boys and Girls Club and also interned with Hennepin County Child Protection Services.

Press release from the U:

Rodney Smith To Miss Remainder Of Season

University of Minnesota football coach P.J. Fleck announced today that senior running back Rodney Smith will miss the rest of the season as a result of an injury sustained in the first quarter against Fresno State last Saturday.

“I am devastated for Rodney, but I know he will keep his oar in the water and continue to move forward and attack his rehabilitation process,” said Fleck. “He is a leader on this team and I look forward to him working with our young players as we continue to grow this season.

“We will file a waiver for a sixth year of eligibility with the NCAA right after the season is over. We believe Rodney meets all the requirements for the waiver and fully expect that it will be granted.”

In two games this year, Smith rushed for 154 yards on 25 carries and also added 32 receiving yards and 37 kick return yards.

Smith is one of the best to ever wear the Maroon and Gold. In 39 career games, he has rushed 651 times (fifth all-time in school history) for 2,959 yards (seventh all-time in school history) and scored 21 (2 in 2015; 16 in 2016 and 3 in 2017) career rushing touchdowns (tied for ninth in school history). His 4,073 all-purpose yards (2,959 rushing, 451 receiving and 663 kick return) ranks seventh in school history.

In his career, Smith has been named All-Big Ten Third Team (2016) and All-Big Ten Honorable Mention (2017). He also received the team's Bronko Nagurski Award (Team MVP) in 2016 and 2017 and in 2016 he was honored with the team's Bruce Smith Award (Outstanding Offensive Player) and was named the Bob McNamara Offensive Back of the Year.

Smith has already graduated with a degree in Human Development and Youth Studies. During his time in Dinkytown, he has volunteered with the Boys and Girls Club and also interned with Hennepin County Child Protection Services.

How can anybody not like that guy? Hope he gets through the rehabilitation process as quickly and well as possible.

Well that sucks for this year but could be a huge boost for next year assuming he comes back and doesn't decide to go pro or do a grad transfer somewhere else.

Regardless he seems like a good kid so hopefully the recovery goes smooth for him no matter what he ends up doing next year (fingers crossed it is lining up in the maroon and gold backfield).

Pretty sure PJ has already stated that Brooks is recovering well and they plan to play him for the 4 games while still keeping his redshirt

I tend to agree that if he is ready sooner, they should play Brooks right away. Having 2 RS seniors take up all of your carries next season doesn't make a ton of sense.

I tend to agree that if he is ready sooner, they should play Brooks right away. Having 2 RS seniors take up all of your carries next season doesn't make a ton of sense.

Why not? This year proves you can't have enough good RB's. The coaches essentially telling one of their leaders that they don't want him back next year would probably not go over very well.

How can anybody not like that guy? Hope he gets through the rehabilitation process as quickly and well as possible.

Agree totally. Have had a chance to spend some time with Rodney on a few occasions. If he doesn't win at football, he will definitely win at life. He is a really great dude. Best of luck to him and his recovery! This couldn't have happened to a better representative of this football program. :(

If you told me a year ago that Rodney Smith and Shannon Brooks could still be in the Gopher's backfield for the 2019 season, I would have said "you're crazy".

I hope there is some kind of blessing that comes out of this.

Agree totally. Have had a chance to spend some time with Rodney on a few occasions. If he doesn't win at football, he will definitely win at life. He is a really great dude. Best of luck to him and his recovery! This couldn't have happened to a better representative of this football program. :(

This is really too bad. Rodney looked bigger stronger and looked like he was poised for a big season. I wish Rodney nothing but the best in his rehab. He is a determined guy and although this is a set back I expect he will be one that does not wallow in self pity and works his rear end off to come back from this even better for himself and his future career in the pros.

This is really too bad. Rodney looked bigger stronger and looked like he was poised for a big season. I wish Rodney nothing but the best in his rehab. He is a determined guy and although this is a set back I expect he will be one that does not wallow in self pity and works his rear end off to come back from this even better for himself and his future career in the pros.

Watching him go down at the game we were sadly expecting this news. Hope his rehab goes well and we get to watch him @ the Bank again.

Why not? This year proves you can't have enough good RB's. The coaches essentially telling one of their leaders that they don't want him back next year would probably not go over very well.

Why do you think the Gophers would tell one of their leaders they don't want him back?
Who has a conversation like that?

"Hi.
Thanks for all that you have done. We don't want you back."

There might be a
"Hi.

Thanks for all that you have done. We don't know how you'll look when you get back, so you'll be competing for the job"

or

"Hi.

Thanks for all that you have done. Next year we're going to give more carries to freshman and sophomore running backs. You can help coach on the sidelines and get carries if people get hurt."

The way you phrase it is about the least professional way one could have that conversation and if a coach was that ill-worded in communicating with his players, he would probably be an awful salesperson and not capable of recruiting well, establishing a team motto, or his own promoting personal brand.

PJ said that you can't have enough running backs....

I didn't know it was because he intended to break them all!!!

Man, what a freaking gut punch. Obviously sucks really, really bad for us hardcore fans, but much worse for the team, coaches, Rodney. He seems like a great kid, but I wonder if he'll want to come back for another year. The team should be much improved, but just think about grinding out rehab, winter conditioning, spring ball, fall camp, let alone another year of school when you've already graduated. Seems like a lot, but I guess only time will tell. This spring we were all expecting a monstrous backfield of SRs Brooks and Smith. We might still get that -- just a year late. If we do, holy cow...

I would think if granted a 6th year Smith would be back.

IMO this is more of an UDFA at the next level type opportunity if he decides to leave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not suggesting that. But if Brooks can play 6+ games this year (not sure if that is the case) that's probably more useful than splitting time with Smith, Williams and Ibraham next year.

Top Bottom