If the Gophers get ranked, when and how will they do it?

Dano564

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
If the Gophers get ranked this year, when and how do you think they hit the rankings?

Is winning the next two enough to hit #25?

I think so. Definitely if we reach 5-0.

I figure the team receives votes for sure if they win the next two. Winning the Maryland game would really help make the case for 25, if not on the border.

Beat Maryland on the road and I'd give it a 50/50 shot. Couple that with the bye week....and I'd think we'd be in the top 25 going into our game against Iowa.

We will definitely be ranked if we are 5-0 after Iowa. A win next week against Miami high school of Ohio does nothing for us, but a win the week after against Maryland would likely have us receiving votes.

If the Gophers get ranked this year, when and how do you think they hit the rankings?

Is winning the next two enough to hit #25?

4-0, depending on what Maryland does at home against Temple, might get it done. Temple is sitting at 0-2, losing to Buffalo and Villanova (I-AA). Not shaping up to be a good year. Maryland needs a repeat of its Bowling Green drubbing score.

5-0, having beat Maryland and then coming away with a homecoming victory over Iowa ... HAS to be top 25. Here's hoping!

If we go 5-0 and still aren't ranked, I would have to imagine beating Nebraska and going 6-1 (losing to OSU) would get us there as well. Honestly, at that point, if we were 6-1, I would really like our chances for getting 8+ wins. However, we have lots of football between now and then....Here's hoping to a top 25 rank this year, would do wonders for hype and recruiting for next year.

I am considering raising my season win projection from about 4 to 6. I'm not ready to dream of a ranking yet.

I think for the Gophers to get ranked, they need to be 5-0. Play competitive against tOSU and you're still receiving votes. Beat Nebraska to go to 6-1, and you're probably ranked again.

I run through the exercise of doing my own top 30 each week. I pretty much remove a team form the top 25 if they lose a game early in the year with a few exceptions. I have Minnesota ranked 26th currently, but I am a complete homer. I have Maryland at 20 right now.

5-0 going into OSU game should get Gophs ranked. Finish 8-4 but end up just outside top 25. Gator Bowl win against SEC. 9-4.

Does losing Rodney Smith factor into these predictions? I'm not sure how many B1G games outside of Illinois and Indiana that we can win without him. Bryce Williams is going to need to grow up in a hurry, along with significant OL improvements. Perhaps Faalele will need to burn his RS this season.

If they can come out of Homecoming 5-0, they might be ranked. Other than that, unless they can upset OSU or WI, not sure there are any other games on the schedule where they move into rankings.

Beat maryland and definitely should receive votes. Spank Iowa and i dont think you can ignore this team.

Following week 6 next year: defeating Nebraska, after a soft opening five games, to go 6-0.

Does losing Rodney Smith factor into these predictions? I'm not sure how many B1G games outside of Illinois and Indiana that we can win without him. Bryce Williams is going to need to grow up in a hurry, along with significant OL improvements. Perhaps Faalele will need to burn his RS this season.

If they can come out of Homecoming 5-0, they might be ranked. Other than that, unless they can upset OSU or WI, not sure there are any other games on the schedule where they move into rankings.

In my (worthless) opinion, voters should only be allowed to factor in what the TEAM has done, and not make guesses about what might have changed because a player got hurt in the last game. That's not fair, in refusing to acknowledge the W-L that have been recorded so far.

Top Bottom