Questions for Sid & Dave Mona - SPORTS HUDDLE

hungan1

Reaction score
I thought I'd better start a threat on questions foe the next Sports Huddle:

1. Coach Fleck - Congratulations to you and the entire team on a great game! You mention you have two scholarships open. Are you going to keep it open for last minute best player availability?

2 & 3. These questions relate to hello-world's GH discussion about Zack Annexstad's pocket presence and accuracy on long throws from "Zannexstad" (thread #24):

hello-world

PMWinSTP
Actually, he has great presence in the pocket, IMHO.
Strongly disagree. I'm happy with him so far, but he has a long way to go.

His pocket presence was pretty bad. He put his tackles in awful situations against Fresno.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAbMQDIs-Ec&t=55m56s (this was about a step away from becoming a safety)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAbMQDIs-Ec&t=61m21s (thought his pocket was collapsing before we had a man come open)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAbMQDIs-Ec&t=62m42s (Leber calls him out on this one)

Also not sure what you're seeing on his long throws but he is inaccurate beyond 15 yards.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAbMQDIs-Ec&t=77m25s

His flick to Johnson on the run tells me he has the arm strength to be better than he is downfield.

He's raw, but has more talent than I've seen at Minnesota in awhile.
Last edited by hello-world; Today at 12:09 AM.

Zack Annexstad likes the shot gun snaps instead of receiving the snap from center at the line of scrimmage. What are your thoughts?

4. The Offensive Line - are there any concerns?

5. Will we see more involvement of the TE in receiving instead of just being an extra blocker/protector?

Last edited:

5. What do you do with all those Murray's Certificates?

Zack Annexstad likes the shot gun snaps instead of receiving the snap from center at the line of scrimmage. What are your thoughts?

If it's 3rd and long ... fine. Everyone in the stadium knows it's a pass. (But also need to have some screens dialed up from these formations, to trick a blitzing defense)

Otherwise ... nope. Too bad. Get used to getting the ball under center, because that's how real football is played. That's how the pros do it.

If it's 3rd and long ... fine. Everyone in the stadium knows it's a pass. (But also need to have some screens dialed up from these formations, to trick a blitzing defense)

Otherwise ... nope. Too bad. Get used to getting the ball under center, because that's how real football is played. That's how the pros do it.

This isn’t pro football.

This isn’t pro football.

Captain obvious.

PAC12/Big XII style chuck n' duck offense, is not going to work in the Big Ten. I hope we don't do it.

On the other hand ... like so many things with Fleck ... if it gives us the best chance to win. Fine. I'll live

Captain obvious.

PAC12/Big XII style chuck n' duck offense, is not going to work in the Big Ten. I hope we don't do it.

On the other hand ... like so many things with Fleck ... if it gives us the best chance to win. Fine. I'll live

Having the QB in the shotgun position does not equate to running a chuck 'n duck style (spread offense). The majority of teams in the BIG take nearly all their meaningful snaps (non victory formation) in the shotgun formation and most frequently run a version of the spread option last I checked. The only teams that I can think of that take a majority of snaps under center are IA, WI, Michigan, MSU and PSU. Please correct me if things have changed as I haven't watched many other BIG teams this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like that they give these out, considering Fleck makes $3.7 mil per year

This was raised as a point of contention several years back.
It was asked why don't they donate it to poor people.

Response was that Murray's likes having famous people come in so others come in as well.

Having the QB in the shotgun position does not equate to running a chuck 'n duck style (spread offense).

This is a good point -- wildcat is the obvious example that comes to mind. They can run Seth Green in the wildcat out of shotgun all day, fine with me. And they will.

But the context was if ZA feels more comfortable passing (regular passing plays) out of the shotgun instead of doing a classic 5/7 step drop from under center. If he ever wants to play on Sundays, the latter is critical to master. But may not be for Saturdays.

The majority of teams in the BIG take nearly all their meaningful snaps (non victory formation) in the shotgun formation and most frequently run a version of the spread option last I checked. The only teams that I can think of that take a majority of snaps under center are IA, WI, Michigan, MSU and PSU. Please correct me if things have changed as I haven't watched many other BIG teams this year.

I hope that is not true! I don't have those statistics.

Top Bottom