Roughing Passer Call

It was absolutely the right call, and CC has to learn from it. He took 2 full strides after the ball was thrown. The hit was late, point blank. In that situation you have to either jump to try and block the pass or peel off and don't hit him. It looked a lot worse than it was since the QB was falling down, but the hit was late.

If it were a Fresno State LB hitting Annexstad, we would all have been screaming for a flag and saying "What a dumb penalty to take there."

I would recommend watching the video again. It wasn't 2 full strides. Possibly not even one step from the time the ball leaves the QB's hand.
What if the QB fakes the throw? Is Coughlin still supposed to just fall on the ground?

Has there been clarification if the call was made because he hit the QB late or because he hit the QB inthe head? We thought it was because he hit the head of the QB not because he was late.

Should it be a penalty? No.
Is it a penalty in today's football? Yes.

Has there been clarification if the call was made because he hit the QB late or because he hit the QB inthe head? We thought it was because he hit the head of the QB not because he was late.

That was part of my problem with it. Sometimes the ref will explain why it was roughing.

The NFL shot itself in both feet and the groin over the last few decades by failing to call roughing penalties when players initiate contact with the top of their helmets. Consistently call that penalty, with ever-increasing fines and suspensions, and a lot of the concussion and injury issues take care of themselves.

The Rodgers rule is bull****. Richardson did nothing except execute a solid tackle.

JTG

"Roughing the passer #93, inability to defy the laws of physics, 15 yard penalty, automatic 1st down!"

That was part of my problem with it. Sometimes the ref will explain why it was roughing.

Yeah I was afraid they were going to call him for targeting and was happy it was only a roughing the passer. I did not think the hit was late. The flag on the other hand sure seemed to come in late, really seemed like the QB acted his way into the foul.

Yeah I was afraid they were going to call him for targeting and was happy it was only a roughing the passer. I did not think the hit was late. The flag on the other hand sure seemed to come in late, really seemed like the QB acted his way into the foul.

I don't think I've ever seen a flag thrown that late. It was very weird. The ref stared at the QB for what seemed like 5 seconds and then finally threw the flag after he didn't get up. Definitely soccer-ish.

"Roughing the passer #93, inability to defy the laws of physics, 15 yard penalty, automatic 1st down!"

The stated logic goes, and this applies to targeting in college, is to dissuade any sort of violent contact on a QB, eg the absurd ejections of Gophers for inadvertent taps on a sliding QB in 2016. The NFL is protecting its prima donna celebrity QBs for better or worse. IMO it’s a stupid rule. Is it “right”? I suppose it depends on where on lies on the “football is a barbaric sport and 99/100 football players have clinical CTE” spectrum.

Weak call. There's not much he could do in that situation. And it wasn't a big hit by any means.

Is the NFL shooting themselves in the foot?

Protecting their investments. NFL star QB's are not easy things to find, and once you have one you really want to do everything possible to protect it.

Plus, the NFL is and needs to lead by example, for what college, high school, and youth football need to be doing, for the sake of the game continuing to exist. Headshots of any kind, need to be eliminated.

We call that the Rogers rule.

And after last night's game, there will be a rule next year where you can't land on Rogers while his knee is bent...

What if you are a 200 lb DB tackling Big Ben or Cam on a blitz?

Top Bottom