Roughing Passer Call

t-docious

MAKE GOPHERS GREAT AGAIN!
Reaction score
Anyone got a replay of that late roughing the passer flag? Was in stands and totally missed it and they didnt show the replay on the big board. Their QB seem to do a fine acting job as he led the TD drive shortly after.

Was it a good call or nah?

In today’s era I thought it was a fine call. I was relieved actually, thought they were gonna add targeting at first (replay showed he didn’t lead w the helmet).

Anyone got a replay of that late roughing the passer flag? Was in stands and totally missed it and they didnt show the replay on the big board. Their QB seem to do a fine acting job as he led the TD drive shortly after.

Was it a good call or nah?

I didn't think it was egregious by any stretch. It looked a lot worse because the QB started falling backwards as he threw the ball. So when Carter started his tackle launch, he was going straight at his midsection. Because the QB was falling it ended up being a shot to the helmet.

I can see why they called it, especially when the QB stayed down, but not as dumb of a play by Coughlin as others here posted

I certainly hope this is the weakest roughing the passer call we see all season, because they don't get much weaker....
But if you want to set the tone early in the season to protect the QB, I guess this is the way to do it.

But, would you see this call made in Madison or Iowa City (vs the home team) with a game on the line? I'm not so sure.

What was annoying was the the head ref watched the play and thought it was fine. Then the QB is writhing on the ground and another ref comes in and throws the flag late. It very well may have been a penalty, but it seemed like it wouldn't have been called if the QB popped right back up...

What was annoying was the the head ref watched the play and thought it was fine. Then the QB is writhing on the ground and another ref comes in and throws the flag late. It very well may have been a penalty, but it seemed like it wouldn't have been called if the QB popped right back up...

Yeah, the flag throw was quite a statement. Damn near threw the flag right on top of the QB.

I think the helmet to helmet contact that occurred, although not malicious is what got the call and it was fortunate that didn't turn into a targeting call because of that. I think the refs did a good job balancing that.

You just don't get to finish a drive through a quarterback without the ball who is already going down. It's okay to be critical of Carter on the play, he could have let up or held back some, understandable that in the moment it happens, but I would expect him to critique himself on that play on what he could do next time.

duplicate post

Last edited:

Seemed like the flag came very, very late. All based on the acting job by the QB.

It was a borderline call IMO. Considering I witnessed egregious helmet to helmet targeting on the WA QB in the recent Auburn/WA game (not to mention the infamous Mitch hit) that was not called these maaaybe tenth of a second late hits are the pickiest of picky calls. He could have pulled up a bit instead of driving him into the ground but it was very, very close. The sound of the helmets hitting was pretty loud which probably played a part as well as the possible acting job.

Seemed like the flag came very, very late. All based on the acting job by the QB.

I have now seen both - in stadium and now on YouTube. QB is a drama major = Bogus call.

I'll give the quarterback an A for fine acting.

I thought it was pretty weak. I don't know what Coughlin was supposed to do there.

I have now seen both - in stadium and now on YouTube. QB is a drama major = Bogus call.

It was absolutely the right call, and CC has to learn from it. He took 2 full strides after the ball was thrown. The hit was late, point blank. In that situation you have to either jump to try and block the pass or peel off and don't hit him. It looked a lot worse than it was since the QB was falling down, but the hit was late.

If it were a Fresno State LB hitting Annexstad, we would all have been screaming for a flag and saying "What a dumb penalty to take there."

It was absolutely the right call, and CC has to learn from it. He took 2 full strides after the ball was thrown. The hit was late, point blank. In that situation you have to either jump to try and block the pass or peel off and don't hit him. It looked a lot worse than it was since the QB was falling down, but the hit was late.

If it were a Fresno State LB hitting Annexstad, we would all have been screaming for a flag and saying "What a dumb penalty to take there."

I'm waiting for the first time in college (or pro) football, where a defensive player is chasing a QB and at the last second the QB throws the ball and the defender tries to "peel off" or make an unorthodox move going full speed, to avoid contact, and then blows out their knee.

Call me the ultimate homer. And yes, if the situation were reversed, I'd have blown a gasket. That QB, however, has a future in soccer - he already has the flop down.

+45
Carter takes 2 steps after the ball is released. There wasn't any leading with the helmet so targeting was never going to be an issue, but CC will definitely have provided a teaching point during film study this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought it was pretty weak. I don't know what Coughlin was supposed to do there.

It's very difficult to pull up when you've got him in your sights.

Only thing I would say is lead with your shoulder, not your facemask. I don't think it was malicious or intentional helmet-helmet, but somewhat looked that way.

I thought it was a foul at real speed at the game and the officials got it correct. Could have been targeting, but glad it wasn't.

Wait until you see the new NFL rule, actually happened in Vike game. The tacklers can no longer land on top of the QB. Ever.

Wait until you see the new NFL rule, actually happened in Vike game. The tacklers can no longer land on top of the QB. Ever.

We call that the Rogers rule.

And after last night's game, there will be a rule next year where you can't land on Rogers while his knee is bent...

The NFL is nigh unwatchable if you like defense. The glass jaw QB stuff, the pass interference rules and severe penalty are to appease the moar scoring crowd. Fans want to see downfield passing thus the wall being built around the highly compensated QBs and the ticky tack PI.

Nice to see them relax the celebration rules though...

All the SC programs to make football players faster and stronger has to impact the degree and severity of injuries of RBs in particular.

How many top RBs in football have season ending injuries in the last few years?

Last edited:

I dont want to go all zapruder on the film here, but it was one step. He takes one step as the ball is released, one after and then hit. Way too bang bang for him to reasonably pull up. At full stride it is near impossible to pull up.

I dont want to go all zapruder on the film here, but it was one step. He takes one step as the ball is released, one after and then hit. Way too bang bang for him to reasonably pull up. At full stride it is near impossible to pull up.

I don't anyone would reasonably expect him to avoid contact at that point, but there is difference between continuing your momentum and continuing to accelerate through the tackle.

Bull**** call. QB's acting job is what got the flag. Amazing how he was completely healthy one play later.

JTG

At first I was ticked at Coughlin, but then saw some replays. Not as blatant as I originally thought, but hopefully he learns something from it. Whatever.
I was watching the Vikings game yesterday and saw Richardson's RTP penalty against SF's QB. I don't like that "Aaron Rodgers Rule" and admit that my frustration regarding NFL football is growing...to the point that I don't even care if I miss a Vikings game any more. I went online last night and saw many similar comments by pissed-off commenters. Is the NFL shooting themselves in the foot?
Collegefootballrules!!

Is the NFL shooting themselves in the foot?
Collegefootballrules!!

The NFL shot itself in both feet and the groin over the last few decades by failing to call roughing penalties when players initiate contact with the top of their helmets. Consistently call that penalty, with ever-increasing fines and suspensions, and a lot of the concussion and injury issues take care of themselves.

The Rodgers rule is bull****. Richardson did nothing except execute a solid tackle.

JTG

Top Bottom