Week 2 Big Ten Power Rankings

Interesting. 6-9 are completely interchangeable IMHO.

Gophers getting low-balled being set below Nebraska, they're 0-1 with a loss to a team that was 5-7 last year and we crushed them the last time we met.

We beat a 10 win team, NW were destroyed by Duke and beat a Purdue team that is clearly mediocre. Then again, 39-0 last time I guess.

I'm fine with The Detroit News ranking at 9, they seem to always be kind to the Gophers, like the Omaha World Herald.

Last edited:

Love the optimism, but I wouldn't go quite that far...

Gophers took Penn State to OT on road in 2016, led WI in 4th quarter at Camp Randall in 2016, led Iowa in 4th quarter in 2016, was even with NE in Licoln in 4th quarter in 2016, dominated NW in 2016...played Michigan dead even in 2015...Gophs are better than people give them credit for.

What do 2015 and 16s results have to do with this year's team and its power ranking?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

What do 2015 and 16s results have to do with this year's team and its power ranking?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Winfield, Coughlin, Cashman, Martin, Barber, Shenault, Huff, Huff, Carpenter, Tyler Johnson, Smith, Brooks, DeLattiboudere, Weyler, Greene, Moore, Beebe, Devers, Jordahl, Gibson, Morse, Dovich, Oseland, Witham, Durr were all part of that 9-win team in 2016 as contributors...Olson, Schlueter, Kiondre, FemiCole, Herbers all part of that team.

Winfield, Coughlin, Cashman, Martin, Barber, Shenault, Huff, Huff, Carpenter, Tyler Johnson, Smith, Brooks, DeLattiboudere, Weyler, Greene, Moore, Beebe, Devers, Jordahl, Gibson, Morse, Dovich, Oseland, Witham, Durr were all part of that 9-win team in 2016 as contributors...Olson, Schlueter, Kiondre, FemiCole, Herbers all part of that team.

Correct, our 2-deep is very young, but it's not like we're completely inexperienced. I'm okay with people looking over the Gophers for now though. We have some stuff to clean up.
Maryland is going to be a tougher test then we're giving them credit for.

The rankings will come with wins. It's at the end of the season these things count.

Correct, our 2-deep is very young, but it's not like we're completely inexperienced. I'm okay with people looking over the Gophers for now though. We have some stuff to clean up.
Maryland is going to be a tougher test then we're giving them credit for.

They're looking better than I though. I was expecting more fall out on field from off field issues

Detroit News seems like a fair read on the Big Ten. I don't know about that Michigan State ranking, but I agree with most of it.

BTN chimes in:

8. Minnesota (2-0). The Golden Gophers won a gritty game vs. Fresno State on Saturday night. Antoine Winfield Jr. sealed the victory with an amazing interception, his second consecutive week with a highlight-reel play. Seth Green, for the second time in as many weeks, had a pair of touchdown runs out of the Wildcat, which the Gophers are calling “The Green Line.” The bad news for Minnesota is that RB Rodney Smith left the game in the first quarter (leg) and did not return.
Last week: 11
Up next: vs. Miaim (OH)

http://btn.com/2018/09/10/big-ten-power-rankings-2-0-minnesota-rises-in-post-week-2-list/

Go Gophers!!

BTN chimes in:

8. Minnesota (2-0). The Golden Gophers won a gritty game vs. Fresno State on Saturday night. Antoine Winfield Jr. sealed the victory with an amazing interception, his second consecutive week with a highlight-reel play. Seth Green, for the second time in as many weeks, had a pair of touchdown runs out of the Wildcat, which the Gophers are calling “The Green Line.” The bad news for Minnesota is that RB Rodney Smith left the game in the first quarter (leg) and did not return.
Last week: 11
Up next: vs. Miaim (OH)

http://btn.com/2018/09/10/big-ten-power-rankings-2-0-minnesota-rises-in-post-week-2-list/

Go Gophers!!

I heard Miaim (OH) is much tougher than Miami (OH).

MLive.com chimes in:

10. MINNESOTA (2-0)
Last week, it was Antoine Winfield dazzling with the punt return for a touchdown. This time, it was preserving a Gophers victory with perhaps the best interception you'll see all season. Minnesota held on for a 21-14 win over Fresno State for its second win in as many weeks, and needed a fourth-quarter drive and TD to grab the lead back. This was the type of coin-flip game that will come in handy when it comes to bowl-eligibility. (Last week: 12)

https://www.mlive.com/expo/sports/erry-2018/09/80c2a50b457200/big-ten-power-rankings-can-any.html

Go Gophers!!

Crimson Quarry chimes in:

9. Minnesota (2-0)
Fresno State is no slouch - Jeff Tedford got them to a Mountain West title game in his first season last year - so that’s not a bad win for the Gophers. With Miami-Ohio up next, Minnesota should likely be 3-0 heading into College Park in two weeks.

https://www.crimsonquarry.com/2018/...ngs-michigan-state-didnt-play-to-win-the-game

Go Gophers!!

Dont know why, but the fact they refer to the NJ school as Rutger cracks me up.

The rankings are fairly typical, usually it takes the Gophers a while to move up. Both 2013 and 2014 had good starts in the nonconference but it wasn't until we had some good wins later in the season that the team moved up in the rankings. Couple more weeks and we'll be moving on up :drink:

+ a WHOLE bunch! These veterans of the 2016 9-4 team are HEROs and provide MORE leadership to these youngsters than entirely too many of the "year zero" and second year zero caretakers of the coach would ever admit. These players...some of who played for 3 coaches in 3 years should have been bowl bound in 2017. They have a chance to show a young coach that they have what it takes and he just needs to learn to recognize that he needs to act like he has been there and trust the great kids who have been Gophers for 5 years....4 years...3 years to lead him and the young players where they have to go. Mr. Green has the potential, if used correctly to be among the Big Ten's leading designated scoring machines. He had that ability last year too.

Once Big Ten Season starts, we will be able to start making some meaningful assessments about progress, coaching AND development of ALL talent on this Gopher Football Team. Beat the stinking badger, GOPHER.

ps That Fresno State game WAS a fun game to watch. October and November will be SHOW TIME and we will be able to compare this 2018 Gopher Football Team to BIG TEN TEAMS!

Top Bottom