Pitino - Stockman is "out of shape."

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
So - Rich Pitino was on the Sports Huddle Sunday morning. I did not take detailed notes, as I was doing some things in the kitchen, but here is what I remember:

the thing that stood out - Pitino said Matz Stockman is out of shape, because he "didn't do anything all summer." Pitino did say that Stockman has the potential to help the team once he gets into shape. Pitino noted that Stockman is the team's tallest player and gives them some height inside.

At this point, all of the injured players have been cleared for full contact - except for Oturu. He is progressing but not quite ready for full practice yet. Curry is cleared to practice, but they are keeping his minutes down during any contact work, to ease him back into things.

Amir Coffey is 100% healthy and is really excited about the season.

They also talked about the incoming freshmen, including Gabe Kalscheur. Pitino said he is a very good shooter and could wind up playing more than some people expect. Omersa is very athletic and will get some opportunities to show what he can do.

That is about all that I remember.

Appreciate the post. If Stockman was scrambling to try to graduate this summer and transfer to Cal, I could understand him prioritizing his schoolwork over staying in basketball shape.

Appreciate the post. If Stockman was scrambling to try to graduate this summer and transfer to Cal, I could understand him prioritizing his schoolwork over staying in basketball shape.
Here's the thing though: He's a scholarship-level athlete. Certainly, academics should be a top priority. But if he's on a full-ride (which I believe he is), you're expected to keep in shape and work on your game in addition to academics. The explanation of "I was too busy with academics" doesn't fly. I can guarantee that Cal wouldn't be happy if he showed up out of shape (after a transfer no less) and on scholarship.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Perhaps it needs to be rescinded. He has a obligation I would think. I can't imagine his team mates liking this.

So - Rich Pitino was on the Sports Huddle Sunday morning. I did not take detailed notes, as I was doing some things in the kitchen, but here is what I remember:

the thing that stood out - Pitino said Matz Stockman is out of shape, because he "didn't do anything all summer." Pitino did say that Stockman has the potential to help the team once he gets into shape. Pitino noted that Stockman is the team's tallest player and gives them some height inside.

At this point, all of the injured players have been cleared for full contact - except for Oturu. He is progressing but not quite ready for full practice yet. Curry is cleared to practice, but they are keeping his minutes down during any contact work, to ease him back into things.

Amir Coffey is 100% healthy and is really excited about the season.

They also talked about the incoming freshmen, including Gabe Kalscheur. Pitino said he is a very good shooter and could wind up playing more than some people expect. Omersa is very athletic and will get some opportunities to show what he can do.

That is about all that I remember.

Will he be in shape by first day of practice? Will all of our guys that are injured be ready to go first day of practice? Why worry about this? I'm sure everybody will be fine. I'm 49 years old. I'm gonna enjoy today and not worry about stuff I dont need to worry about lol

Will he be in shape by first day of practice? Will all of our guys that are injured be ready to go first day of practice? Why worry about this? I'm sure everybody will be fine. I'm 49 years old. I'm gonna enjoy today and not worry about stuff I dont need to worry about lol

No kidding, the first game isn't for 2 months. Heck, I could get in shape in 2 months. I would hope a 22 year old D1 basketball player would be able to as well.

No kidding, the first game isn't for 2 months. Heck, I could get in shape in 2 months. I would hope a 22 year old D1 basketball player would be able to as well.
Agreed with it being no problem getting in shape in 2 months. Still, his being out of shape impacts those moving around him at higher intensity and speeds. In my humble opinion, his teammates having to wait for him or alter their attacks in practice because of him is unacceptable. He should have a bit more pride and consideration for his teammates.

Fixed it:

No kidding, the first game isn't for 2 months. Heck, I could get in shape in 2 months, to be ready to play 8 min per game. I would hope a 22 year old D1 basketball player would be able to as well.

We'll see how he plays with his condition. I open to being wrong on this. There is a reason typically why DI players work out almost year around.

We'll see how he plays with his condition. I open to being wrong on this. There is a reason typically why DI players work out almost year around.
Rescinding the scholly is way over the top imo. But, it's not a good look for a number of reasons, especially since you can bet all his teammates (including the walkons), did plenty during the summer. That's part of being on full scholarship.

Can he come back? Of course. But when the coach notes "he didn't do anything all summer", it's not good.

I'm not suggesting folks should worry. That's up to the coaches. To be honest, I'm surprised Pitino even said anything about it.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

2nd time I've heard Pitino comment on Omersa's athletic ability. First time was on Danny B's show, saying he was the most athletically gifted player he's been a part of while coach (which I assumed didn't just mean HC of the Gophers, but his time with Louisville, Florida, and FIU).

Pitino - Stockman is "out of shape."

But how could he expect another school to give him a scholarship to play basketball if he basically stopped playing? ( maybe that is why the Cali gig didn’t work?). On the flip side, it is not like he gained 50 lbs and spends most of his day in a BarcaLounger arguing about PJ on Gopher Hole. He is not in game shape or even practice shape, but he has time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Perhaps it needs to be rescinded. He has a obligation I would think. I can't imagine his team mates liking this.

Rescinded? OK, let's see. There are three players capable of playing some significant minutes at the post. One of them is a freshman who hasn't been cleared to play yet. Another is a player who was out all last year and has just been cleared to play. The third is Stockman who is a little out of shape with 2 months to go. But, we should consider taking away Stockman's scholarship. Boy, talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Boy, talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Sounds like your underwear is all twisted up.

Pitino mentioned this during the state fair as well. Said he lost 15-20lbs because he wasn't lifting. That is what he meant by out of shape, unless its changed in the past 2 weeks.

Interesting. Pitino is hard to read in that he's really candid and frank most of the time. I wonder if he was asked about Stockman or if he volunteered his opinion about him

On the flip side, it is not like he gained 50 lbs and spends most of his day in a BarcaLounger arguing about PJ on Gopher Hole.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wait...whose window are you peering into? I feel violated.

Re Gabe: he's a guy whose shot has been improving steadily since he was a HS underclassman. He could end up being a major weapon.

Top Bottom