Tight ends in the passing game

I agree with your first three statements. Not so much with the last one.
His offense here isn't any different than the one he ran at WMU. He has his idea of what an offense is and so does Kirk and they really aren't going to change as they have shown over two programs. They will add some wrinkles, but I don't believe they will ever have a TE be in the top 3 or 4 in receptions, because that is not what they do or believe in.

I really wasn't saying that I thought he would, I just meant that it's certainly possible that PJ's offense changes a bit here to adapt to his talent.

Speaking of tight ends. We were told in fall camp that Seth G was running some plays at tight end. Can’t remember if he has lined up at any other position than “wildcat”. Does anyone think, we might see him as a running back other than goalline?

Can't tell if you actually are agreeing or being sarcastic.

No one said goal line plays are meaningless.

You really couldn't tell?

Did you think a Gopher fan actually, literally, thought that play was meaningless?

Did you think a Gopher fan actually, literally, thought that play was meaningless?

You didn't indicate any sarcasm (emoji's, /s, etc.), so you apparently did.

No one said they were meaningless, so your comment was a bizarre nonsequitor.

Huh. To my knowledge they didn't run the wildcat at WMU.

Obviously the core of his offensive philosophy won't change - that would be stupid - but you can add a wrinkle to involve TEs more, split TEs out wide, actually call the plays in your book that include the TEs as an early read, etc...I believe that's the adaptation Bob is alluding to.

The wildcat would be a wrinkle. But they have not demonstrated any desire to really use the TE position in a pass catching role at WMU and that trend has continued here.

You didn't indicate any sarcasm (emoji's, /s, etc.), so you apparently did.

No one said they were meaningless, so your comment was a bizarre nonsequitor.

Some people can pick up on obvious sarcasm without an emoji or an "/s". I know it's really difficult (THIS IS SARCASM).

Nope, no one said it was meaningless, but that certainly doesn't make it a non sequitur.

Your comment about us using a TE on one of the biggest plays of the game was essentially "it's too bad we didn't use it on other plays".

So, the thing you're asking for (passing to TEs) was used on one of the most important plays of the game near the goal line, and you're reaction was "it's too bad". That implies that wasn't enough for you.

So maybe my joke didn't flow correctly from your logic (there's an argument there), but that it was a non sequitur. . . nope. It certainly wasn't that.

So, the thing you're asking for (passing to TEs) was used on one of the most important plays of the game near the goal line, and you're reaction was "it's too bad". That implies that wasn't enough for you.

Even if this was true, which it isn't, that doesn't come close to being the same thing as me saying the goal line play was meaningless. That is a very bizarre take, and flatly wrong.

The wildcat "fake out" pass to a TE at the goal line is lovely. Hope they keep doing that in short yardage.

What I would like to see more of, but likely won't get, is TEs going out on routes in normal passing situations (well known what this means, such as 3rd and 7 at the 40, for example) and being targeted! As I've said so many times with Fleck ... if that's what it takes to win, fine, I'll live.

Even if this was true, which it isn't, that doesn't come close to being the same thing as me saying the goal line play was meaningless. That is a very bizarre take, and flatly wrong.

The wildcat "fake out" pass to a TE at the goal line is lovely. Hope they keep doing that in short yardage.

What I would like to see more of, but likely won't get, is TEs going out on routes in normal passing situations (well known what this means, such as 3rd and 7 at the 40, for example) and being targeted! As I've said so many times with Fleck ... if that's what it takes to win, fine, I'll live.

I'd like to see that also. However, until the O-line can provide adequate QB protection without the TE helping out, the TE may be limited to peeling off after chip blocks to catch passes for shorter gains over the middle or in the flats. Also serve as safety valve type outlet. Perhaps TEs can also be used effectively in RPO plays.

Last edited:

Top Bottom