PJ Fleck on Sports Huddle 9-9-18

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Gopher Coach PJ Fleck appeared on the Sports Huddle on WCCO Radio on Sunday.

Sid: how is Rodney Smith?
PJ: don't know yet. we'll find out more this aft. we'll keep everyone informed. everyone cares about Rodney. we'll get information to the media as fast as we can, so the fans know what to expect.

Sid: talk about your Field goal kicker - 53 & 50 yards
PJ: We believe in him. this football team, I like their work ethic, their refuse to lose mentality. I like having a kicker you really trust, and during games you get opportunities to prove you trust him. for our guy, those are high percentage kicks. he'll give credit to everyone else - holder, snapper, blockers. it's a complete team effort. got to continue to build on consistency. those were two big-time FG's for us.

Sid: talk about the 2-point play?
PJ: we have a lot of 2-point plays we practice with our Wildcat series. 4-5 plays we practice. try to find one that fits the situation. we felt the Wildcat at that time fit the situation. it was a great call by Kirk C. team executed it perfectly.

Mona- Winfield INT?
PJ: that's what makes him special. he said "Coach, I blew it - that was my guy. he ran right by me." he's got incredible intelligence - high football IQ. he can be aggressive and still recover. other guys can't do that. that was one of the most spectacular plays I've seen - give the situation, and the type of athleticism it takes. if I did that, I'd break my hip. I have such respect for him. he's a real credit to his family, and to our strength staff.

Max - I thought no way he can get there. does he have freedom to make his own reads?
PJ: he's not a free-lancer. he's got to play in the scheme. but he's very aggressive. he can recover. that gives him more freedom to be aggressive. he's one of those special players. he worked tremendously hard in the off-season. He went through a lot of adversity in the last year, but he keeps rowing the boat.

Sid: Great to have Johnson healthy.
PJ: Ty has got to continue to be more consistent. but he makes big-time plays in big time situations. we put ourselves in trouble with drops and fumbles. then he comes back and makes a huge play for use. Our team is still young and inexperienced. Bateman played well for a young player. made big plays in critical situations. Chris Bell - same way.

Mona- Annexstad seems to have a great quote every week.
PJ: he's got a tremendous personality. very mature man for 18. has a lot of fun. that's hard to find these days. the game is so very business-oriented. he's a breath of fresh air. not silly, but has a great personality. Fresno State was marching down the field. Zack walks by me and says "Isn't this fun?" I thought, I can think of things a lot more fun than Fresno State driving down the field. But he couldn't wait to get back on the field. him and Tyler create a play. without that, we might not win that game. we still have tons of room for improvement. people have got to step up with the injury to Rodney.

Sid: what about the other RB's if Smith can't play?
PJ: Bryce Williams got better as the game went on. he got thrown into that situation way earlier than he should be. we knew we'd be in that situation at some point. Thought Femi-Cole made some good plays. We will continue to use the Wildcat. Offense has to create new wrinkles. We'll get Mo back at some point soon. We'll find out about Rodney soon. We've got a good team coming in Saturday.

Max - lot of replays? do you take a time out to give them time to review?
PJ: We might get a chance to see a replay quickly, but not over and over again. we have to make a decision quickly. we get information from the coaches in the booth. I make the final decision. we don't want to ruin the rhythm of the game based on getting the call right. we never think about breaking rhythm of the game. want to keep the rhythm going.

Sid: what do you know about Miami?
PJ: they lost to Cincinnati yesterday. that's a rivalry game. they're very talented. we played them at WMU. Their Coach has been there a long time. they have a good QB, a really good WR who will play on Sundays. they've got a sneaky defense. we recruited a lot of those kids when we were at WMU. we know those kids. our coaches have gone through the film a little bit. We'll go through it more with the team this week.

Sid: Gophers have $25 tickets for Miami game. Take advantage of good seats. Congrats. Murray's.
PJ: RTB, Ski-U-Mah. Go Gophers.

(shorty's note - WCCO had some special program on Sunday morning, so they changed their schedule, and the Sport Huddle didn't start till 10:00am. I turned on the radio at 9:30, and heard the financial advice show still going, and I started freaking out. I thought all my clocks were wrong or something. Fleck was still on at regular time.)

Thank you SON.

THANKS SON.

I double checked my clocks as well at 9:40 when I tuned in and the financial show was still on.
Was ready to hear the weekly question about rolling over a 401k into a Roth 401k but didn't stay tuned in long enough to hear that one again.

Great report SON - thanks

The more I hear about ZA, the more I like him

THANKS SON.

I double checked my clocks as well at 9:40 when I tuned in and the financial show was still on.
Was ready to hear the weekly question about rolling over a 401k into a Roth 401k but didn't stay tuned in long enough to hear that one again.

That's all they do on the Wealth Enhancement show. It's like they get a royalty every time someone does a Roth roll-over.

Don't freak out Short one. Each morning you wake up is a victory!! Thanks for the excellent recap.

Thanks again for the notes;

Here's something to tell people about:

Sid: Gophers have $25 tickets for Miami game. Take advantage of good seats..

Thanks, shorty. We will like this team more and more. Even through the rough spots.

Thanks Son! Very nice! Different kind of a show today it apears. Fleck I'm sure is concerned about Rodney.

Nice recap, thanks.

Annexstad sounds like a great kid. I like him a lot

Thank you, SON. I always read your report.

When I listen to 'CCO, I shudder to think how far the station has fallen.

JTG

Top Bottom