Poll - What Grade Do You Give Fleck for Coaching in the Fresno St Win

What grade do you give PJ Fleck for Fresno St.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dano564

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
Poll - What Grade Do You Give Fleck for Coaching in the Fresno St Win

I'm not sure how you give him anything other than an A, they beat a quality opponent without their best offensive player and with true freshmen playing key roles at QB, RB and WR.

Another "A" from me.

I'm not sure how you give him anything other than an A, they beat a quality opponent without their best offensive player and with true freshmen playing key roles at QB, RB and WR.

Pretty much my thoughts as well. I was frustrated with the play calling at times, but then had to take a deep breath and realize that all of their skill position players not named TJ were freshman.

I can't fathom any other grade than an A. Regardless of how good Fresno State truly is, the young Gophers team shocked the visiting Bulldogs who thought the Gophers were a Big 10 bottom feeder ripe for the picking.

The Gophers looked well-coached and disciplined for the most part. They played like a good cohesive team.

It all worked out...so A! Seriously, that was the most impressive game of the PJ era thus far. I didn’t like the burning of all the timeouts early in the halves as obviously nice to have in the back pocket for contingencies but that’s likely a function of being pretty young and only game 2.

I loved the use of Seth Green in short yardage and the two point conversion was perfect. Trusting Carpenter worked out. The defense came ready to play. The passing game is light years better already than anything I can remember in recent history and primed to get much, much better. Overall an impressive game and a hats off to PJ and staff.

I went B only because I thought the play calling in the 3rd quarter was very much to kill the game and not give the offense opportunities.

But considering we were without our top offensive player from the third play, I was thinking A.

By the way, thanks for the one star ratings those of you who seem to not like polls.

Oh no! A poll. I'm going to rate this thread 1-star!
I hate when people ask for people's opinions on a message board.

As I said before, it's often tough to grade a head coach on a single game from outside the bubble.

I give the coaching staff an A. The defense knew exactly what was coming at them through the first half and into the second. The offense did what it could with the personnel available.

Remember what Yogi Berra said when asked what makes a good manger? "Good players." We're getting a nice crop of good players on the field, and that makes all the coaches look smart. Annexstad's coolness, Johnson's sheer athleticism, Carpenter's leg, Winfield's total package, (and I could go on). There's getting to be an appreciable amount of talent on the field, and those attributes are often more inherited than developed. You gotta give Fleck credit for the crop of freshman, their solid debuts and apparent high upside.

Great to get this win, especially with several memorable plays. If we take care of business next week (and start to get healthy), the Maryland and Iowa games are gonna be fun!

JTG

As I said before, it's often tough to grade a head coach on a single game from outside the bubble.

I give the coaching staff an A. The defense knew exactly what was coming at them through the first half and into the second. The offense did what it could with the personnel available.

Remember what Yogi Berra said when asked what makes a good manger? "Good players." We're getting a nice crop of good players on the field, and that makes all the coaches look smart. Annexstad's coolness, Johnson's sheer athleticism, Carpenter's leg, Winfield's total package, (and I could go on). There's getting to be an appreciable amount of talent on the field, and those attributes are often more inherited than developed. You gotta give Fleck credit for the crop of freshman, their solid debuts and apparent high upside.

Great to get this win, especially with several memorable plays. If we take care of business next week (and start to get healthy), the Maryland and Iowa games are gonna be fun!

JTG

I agree that it's hard to know what specifically is coming from the head coach vs assistant coaches.

Decisions that tend to get put on the head coach are:

1. Use of timeouts
2. Decisions on 4th downs. FG's / Punts / Go for it.
3. Play calling at key moments
4. Whether a team appears dead - disinterested. Playing flat.

Any of those seemed to go right.
We did use up our timeouts unusually faster last night due to defensive setups.

I agree that it's hard to know what specifically is coming from the head coach vs assistant coaches.

Decisions that tend to get put on the head coach are:

1. Use of timeouts
2. Decisions on 4th downs. FG's / Punts / Go for it.
3. Play calling at key moments
4. Whether a team appears dead - disinterested. Playing flat.

Any of those seemed to go right.
We did use up our timeouts unusually faster last night due to defensive setups.

Well said. From that perspective, I have no arguments with Fleck's decisions. The two long FG attempts were great calls, especially the first one. And I don't think anyone can accuse the team of being flat.

Even the use of timeouts was understandable. I'd much rather burn 'em early to avoid a crucial delay-of-game penalty or getting burned for a big play because of a misalignment.

JTG

I agree with rockford's perspectives. I think one of the big things Fleck is doing in recruiting is he's getting guys who are staying on the field in every situation. I could be dead wrong and this isn't a shot at the previous coaching staff, but I always had the feeling under Kill/Claeys that they recruited some guys with a particular isolated role in mind, as in "that guy would be perfect when we go from that set." Fleck and company appear to be less committed to an approach like that. Again, that's just my impression. But at least at the skilled positions, we are much more athletic than what we've been for many years.

I hated the time-outs when we were on defense, but that's going to happen with a young team.

Different team from last year. Even the coaching staff is improved, a lot. "A" all the way.

I will give him an A. My only issue was just before the final field goal that put us up 13-7. I was disappointed with the conservative play call on what I think was a 3rd and 3 or 4. If you convert that and continue the drive and put 7 on the board, that game is over right then and there with us up 17-7. I can’t stand the playing not to lose mentality.

But still, an A all day and a great job by all, coaches and players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would love to hear the reasoning behind the 3 people that voted D or F. Lose one of the best players in the conference early in the game against a quality opponent and still pull out the victory. Have to assume those are the people that are going to hate Fleck no matter what he does because that is the only way you could rate that game anything other than an A or B in my opinion at least.

I would love to hear the reasoning behind the 3 people that voted D or F. Lose one of the best players in the conference early in the game against a quality opponent and still pull out the victory. Have to assume those are the people that are going to hate Fleck no matter what he does because that is the only way you could rate that game anything other than an A or B in my opinion at least.

Easy. It's an open and free board. There are probably always a handful of trolls stopping by.

Those votes are more likely "See we got 'um going" Or "We hate all of you", than "We hate Fleck".

Bolstad you gave a F. Care to respond?

Last edited:

I'm going to track these weekly to see if the D's and F's increase or decrease over time.

Last week we had 2 D's, 4 F's, and 2 Don't want to respond, so we have to wait for all 6 to check in with their weekly votes before we can compare accurately.

I know that it was not you. When I went in to vote, it showed who everyone had voted for. Bolstad was the F. I'm waiting like the rest of you for him to respond why.

I'm not waiting...

Don't see how you go anywhere but A. Lost our most established offensive weapon early, had to come back after falling behind 14-13 late, and beat a solid mid major opponent. We will see if he can keep racking up A's as the degree of difficulty goes up, but I've seen everything I hoped for the first two weeks.

Maybe F is for Fantastic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom