Rodney Smith injury watch thread

BleedGopher

Reaction score
PJ said in the post-game show that we may know more tonight.

Anyone get a good look at what happened?

Go Gophers!!

Nope saw him walk off the field putting very little weight on it. Came out in street clothes putting a little more weight on it that time

It was odd, the TV view didn't really show anything that I could see though another poster here thought he saw a slight buckle which is NOT a good sign. They appeared to do the ACL test (I don't remember the name off hand) while he was down on the field. They then took him in to the injury tent and at one point Fox Sports did something I have never seen before: They tried to get a view of what was going on in the tent through the upper/mesh part. Maybe this has been done before and I haven't seen it, but I found that to be in poor taste...and that's as a Gopher fan that wants to know what's going on! My hope is that because the staff allowed Rodney to stay/stand on the sidelines for much of the first half (was he our there in the 2nd?) that it's not an ACL.

Yeah he couldn't put much weight on it at all.

Yeah I watched through binoculars. He wasn't bending his ankle at all when they took him off the field, his toes would barely touch the ground. He was even very slow on his right leg too before he picked up the pace.

It was odd, the TV view didn't really show anything that I could see though another poster here thought he saw a slight buckle which is NOT a good sign. They appeared to do the ACL test (I don't remember the name off hand) while he was down on the field. They then took him in to the injury tent and at one point Fox Sports did something I have never seen before: They tried to get a view of what was going on in the tent through the upper/mesh part. Maybe this has been done before and I haven't seen it, but I found that to be in poor taste...and that's as a Gopher fan that wants to know what's going on! My hope is that because the staff allowed Rodney to stay/stand on the sidelines for much of the first half (was he our there in the 2nd?) that it's not an ACL.

Lochman's test.

It's not a good sign that they did that, of course. He'll get an MRI, I'm sure, and we'll all know then. Certainly didn't look bad at all, but that doesn't mean much.

Do we know what the Brooks injury is? He has been in uniform both games. PJ talked about him playing this year. Hopefully, sometime soon they both play. Very hard to speculate what happened to Rodney but his leg did seem to buckle which is never good. Williams needs to break some tackles, make somebody miss now and then. He got fired up as we got closer to the goal line in the last drive.
Seth Green is going to become our rushing weapon it appears.
Great win without Rodney and Brooks.

With RS out now for at least a while (best case would be knee sprain), Brooks not avail until later in season, and Ibrahim out with week 1 knee injury, it's gonna fall on true freshman Bryce Williams to carry the load out of the traditional formations.

Femi-Cole get in there a little, maybe he'll get a few more reps if the coaches feel like he can maintain the quality.

But otherwise, I think we're going to see SG wildcat getting 15-20 calls per game. So long as they can, and DO, throw the ball out of the formation too ... it's legit. Great for short yardage and goal line!

I reacted the same way to them looking through the mesh. It is very hard to believe that the media would ever do anything in poor taste.

Something in his knee tore. If that wasn't the case, he wouldn't have been in that much pain.

The question is, what tore and to what degree did it tear (minor tear - sprain, partial tear, full tear). Letting him stay on the field I don't think means anything, because you have to wait for the swelling to go down to get meaningful results ... I believe. Someone correct me there if I'm wrong

Yeah, looks like he’s going to be out for awhile. Really tough considering it’s supposed to be his senior year and he was a possible draft player.

In the meantime Williams will get better, Femi-Cole looks at least adequate, and Seth Green is a bowling ball. The offensive line needs to get better although they started to wear them down and get some downfield push late in the game. We’ll be ok.

Yeah, looks like he’s going to be out for awhile. Really tough considering it’s supposed to be his senior year and he was a possible draft player.

In the meantime Williams will get better, Femi-Cole looks at least adequate, and Seth Green is a bowling ball. The offensive line needs to get better although they started to wear them down and get some downfield push late in the game. We’ll be ok.

Thought Femi-Cole looked deserving of a bit more time. Ran hard and seemed to do a decent job as the back used to shore up the pocket on passing plays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I've heard is not good. Like talking him into coming back next year not good.

College coaches are so cagey on injury info that unless it's season ending (and therefore doesn't matter) they won't reveal anything or deliberately mislead.

Something in his knee tore. If that wasn't the case, he wouldn't have been in that much pain.

The question is, what tore and to what degree did it tear (minor tear - sprain, partial tear, full tear). Letting him stay on the field I don't think means anything, because you have to wait for the swelling to go down to get meaningful results ... I believe. Someone correct me there if I'm wrong

That just frankly isn't true. People get severe pain for all sorts of reasons that are not tear related. Not saying Smith didn't tear something, but just pain means nothing. You see dudes rolling all over who then get up and are completely ok from a structural disease standpoint. In regards to him imaging and results, yes you need the swelling to go down to get solid images but it's more so for operating plans (ie is is just the acl, is the meniscus or MCL/LCL damaged) for getting the imaging. Likely they would know prelim results from their on field exam if this is a true ACL tear. The staying on the field I agree means nothing if youre thinking ACL tear as the stability of the knee joint when walking is typically not a big deal.

FWIW source says rodney is done for the year and staff has talked to him about coming back next year and he has agreed. Should help his draft stock. A true bummer for him as I am sure he would like to get paid at this point. I know I was itching to make money my senior year.

That just frankly isn't true. People get severe pain for all sorts of reasons that are not tear related. Not saying Smith didn't tear something, but just pain means nothing. You see dudes rolling all over who then get up and are completely ok from a structural disease standpoint. In regards to him imaging and results, yes you need the swelling to go down to get solid images but it's more so for operating plans (ie is is just the acl, is the meniscus or MCL/LCL damaged) for getting the imaging. Likely they would know prelim results from their on field exam if this is a true ACL tear. The staying on the field I agree means nothing if youre thinking ACL tear as the stability of the knee joint when walking is typically not a big deal.

Moron_4Life is a troll, stop feeding him. If it was a tear, RS would have not been standing in the tent, or on the field. Let’s wait and see.

FWIW source says rodney is done for the year and staff has talked to him about coming back next year and he has agreed. Should help his draft stock. A true bummer for him as I am sure he would like to get paid at this point. I know I was itching to make money my senior year.

Man that's an absolute bummer. Next man up and prep to get him and Brooks back next year.

On that note, this offense could look pretty formidable next year if Annexstad continues to develop and the OL takes a step forward after only losing 2 starters.

Moron_4Life is a troll, stop feeding him. If it was a tear, RS would have not been standing in the tent, or on the field. Let’s wait and see.

You can tear an ACL and still be standing on the sideline. Some people play with torn ACL's.

Terrible news. What is the timeline for Brooks to be able to play?

Nm. For gods sake.

Last edited:

Just trying to see a possible bright side, maybe he's excited about getting a masters degree for free too? Obviously I'm sure he would have preferred to have a great year this year and go to the NFL, but it's not all bad.

Top Bottom