Former Gopher great Ron Johnson addresses the fans who beat the traffic tonight

Leaving early...it’s a Minnesota thing. It’s been done for as long as I can remember. For Gophers, Vikings, Twins, and so on...

You nailed it. Minnesota fans are notorious band-wagoners and early leavers. Every sport, every game. Saw loads of Viking "fans" leaving the frickin' play-off game last year.

Clearly you’re joking.

Northwestern would kill for the Gophers atmosphere. So would Oregon St and I’m sure many other teams. They aren’t “at the bottom”. I’d accept in the bottom 25% though

I should have clarified my meaning of "bottom". We are in the bottom 25% of all Power Five teams for in game atmosphere. The basketball experience seems about the same. Williams arena should be rocking every game and be sheer treachery for every incoming team, but mostly, it's just not.

Yes they did miss a great play by Winfield but Johnson's ire is misdirected. With an announced crowd on 38,280 Ron should be ripping all the Gopher Fans who didn't even bother going to the game not the ones who left while the Gophers were ahead!

Perfect weather, solid opponent and way too many empty seats.

Though in the stadium itself it felt like there were more people in there than there actually was. It was sweetly loud in there. Just a damn fine way to spend an evening.

All that said yes, noticed and was surprised that people left early but don't really care. They all spent their money and time to get there in the first place. Why they left is their business.

On the bright side, it always makes it a little easier to drive out for the rest of us who stay until the end. It was only 12 minutes to get out of the ramp. :drink:

Actually, both should be ripped. Same with the arm chair fans who stay home to watch on TV and then come on GH and complain about crowd size.

Keep in mind, football is a better game to watch on TV than in person.
This is more true now than ever before.

Not only are you able to watch your game better at home, but you can flip channels to watch a half dozen other games during the numerous commercials.
That and DVR capabilities, you have to reason to worry about missing a play, so you can watch 2-3 game simultaneously.

I enjoy being at the game, but TV, sofa, a 12 pack of beer for $15, it's a better experience.

Flipping through channels last night, there were several small crowds on TV. Florida St's game looked really thin.

Sorry, not buying it.

From today's Sports Huddle thread:
Sid: Gophers have $25 tickets for Miami game. Take advantage of good seats..

Uh, there might be $25 tickets, and there might be good seats, but I wouldn't say the two overlap.

I sat in the $25 seats for the TCU game a few years back. It was better than not being there at all. When we've gone the last couple years, we try to get seats in the first couple rows on the plaza end. Those are good seats, and cheap by comparison to some. But they ain't cheap.

That being said, I'm considering going the Red Baron route to score seats for the Northwestern game. Like I said, better than not being there at all. But not by a whole lot.

JTG

Uh, there might be $25 tickets, and there might be good seats, but I wouldn't say the two overlap.

I sat in the $25 seats for the TCU game a few years back. It was better than not being there at all. When we've gone the last couple years, we try to get seats in the first couple rows on the plaza end. Those are good seats, and cheap by comparison to some. But they ain't cheap.

That being said, I'm considering going the Red Baron route to score seats for the Northwestern game. Like I said, better than not being there at all. But not by a whole lot.

JTG

You picked a sold out opener against a top ranked team coming off a NYD bowl season. Of course those seats were not prime. This year you can buy that $25 ticket and move into some pretty prime seats, literally.

You picked a sold out opener against a top ranked team coming off a NYD bowl season. Of course those seats were not prime. This year you can buy that $25 ticket and move into some pretty prime seats, literally.

I really don't want to argue with you, but it seems to me like $25 Saturday will get you in roughly the same spot I sat in against TCU. Second deck, corner of the end zones. If a person really wants to be there, great. Otherwise, you're looking at a minimum of $45 to sit in the front rows of the same section. From there, prices move up fairly quickly.

If I'm wrong, please correct me. I don't mind an education.

JTG

I really don't want to argue with you, but it seems to me like $25 Saturday will get you in roughly the same spot I sat in against TCU. Second deck, corner of the end zones. If a person really wants to be there, great. Otherwise, you're looking at a minimum of $45 to sit in the front rows of the same section. From there, prices move up fairly quickly.

JTG

20,000 other seats to move to. Plenty lower level, and upper level in the first 10-15 rows. Get in the gate with a $25 seat and you will see.

JTG

I sat in the 3rd row of the upper deck yesterday for the price of 3 Red Baron Pizzas. I have terrible eyesight and I still thought they were great seats. If you demand to be in the lower portion of the lower deck to say that a seat is good, then yeah, you need to pay more for your tickets. I don't think most people would think my seats last night were bad.

I sat in the 3rd row of the upper deck yesterday for the price of 3 Red Baron Pizzas. I have terrible eyesight and I still thought they were great seats. If you demand to be in the lower portion of the lower deck to say that a seat is good, then yeah, you need to pay more for your tickets. I don't think most people would think my seats last night were bad.

Not a bad seat in the stadium.

I filled up my freezer with Red Baron pizzas so I could give away four tickets to some family members. We are in section 115 this year and it's a really fun and packed section.
I try to not get bummed out about things that I cannot fix, and if I can help get a few others into the stadium for cheap it's a win win.

I beat the traffic by staying until the end and then some, but with that said a lot of the people I saw leaving had little kids and that's what happens with evening games. If you want to complain about the atmosphere blame the U for the ticket prices and not being able to fill the stadium. There were more there than the first weekbut still a sad showing for the beautiful weather on a saturday night.

I filled up my freezer with Red Baron pizzas so I could give away four tickets to some family members. We are in section 115 this year and it's a really fun and packed section.
I try to not get bummed out about things that I cannot fix, and if I can help get a few others into the stadium for cheap it's a win win.

FYI - the red baron deal is still on. NW game sold out but you can still go to this weekend's game for the price of 3 pizzas for 2 tickets:
https://gophersports.com/sb_output.aspx?form=1024

For the OSU game a couple years back I went and sat in different areas throughout the game. I ended up standing at midfield at the top row, solid view of the entire stadium. I loved it

Are you louder if you are standing?
This. Absolutely this. Jesus Christ people, stand and make noise on 3rd down. You’re not at a library.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom