Former Gopher great Ron Johnson addresses the fans who beat the traffic tonight

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

It's like the 1986 Twins. ;)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Some people did leave, but those leaving I saw had young kids.

The it wasn't a big crowd but most of the fans stayed, lots of traffic after the game, more than the last game for sure.

Lot of students left, but they always do. The ones that stayed had a chance at that sweet row your boat scholarship...

There used to be a Bitter End Club during the dark years.

We saw some very bitter ends to games.

Staying to the end has its benefits...especially when the team can deliver.

Tonight was fun for the Billd's. Reminded me of the Halloween game vs. Michigan...that of course went the wrong direction at the end.

Winfield is something else. Worth waiting for...

It's also not against the law to stand for 3rd downs.

There used to be a Bitter End Club during the dark years.

We saw some very bitter ends to games.

Staying to the end has its benefits...especially when the team can deliver.

Tonight was fun for the Billd's. Reminded me of the Halloween game vs. Michigan...that of course went the wrong direction at the end.

Winfield is something else. Worth waiting for...

I always stay until the end. That's just the rule.

My section emptied out quite a bit after the 3rd quarter. There was a few loud, passionate and fun fans around me. We had an absolute blast. Probably the most fun I’ve had at a game.

I don't understand leaving the game early, unless your team is down 40-14 or something. It seems like the same people that leave games early also complain about the price of tickets...they sure are expensive if you stay for only 80% of the game and miss the best part. I used to go up to games (both Vikings and Gophers) with my Dad and meet my Grandfather who had season tickets to both the Gophers and Vikings. Two memories relative to "beat the traffic" : I was at the famous game against Chicago in 1992 and my dad wanted to leave early. I convinced him to stay and we witnessed the Todd Scott INT and the memorable Ditka blowup that came afterwards. The second memory is a more personal one. As it got harder and harder for my Grandfather to get around, we'd always stay in our seats at the Dome until the vast majority of the crowd had left. We'd talk and then head out to the parking lot where those of us that could would throw around a football while my Grandfather would get the post game on the radio and maybe enjoy a beverage. Sure we'd be in two of the last cars to leave the parking lot, but we also weren't stuck in traffic. The games where the Vikings/Gophers won, those parking lot games of catch were a lot of fun especially exchanging high fives with strangers and generally reveling in the victory.

There's a lot of people here who are true die hards and have a lot more patience with Gopher football than I have at this point. I am sure it's a very small minority of GopherHoler's who are part of the beat the traffic crowd. I just don't understand what's more satisfying/enjoyable than seeing your team pull out a win like they did tonight or enjoying the last few minutes of a blowout win (no stress!) like last week. At some point you won't remember what you did with that half hour you MIGHT save if you left early, but you will remember the times you stayed. I think that's especially true in today's day and age where most of us find ourselves buried in our phone instead of actually interacting with other humans.

I have a hard time begrudging people for leaving early for the simple reason that everyone has a different situation. Yes, if you are just plain leaving early to beat traffic and you live in MSP, that’s kinda crappy.

But everyone’s situation is different; Some have young kids, maybe special needs children that simply don’t have the patience for the entire game (I’ve experienced that myself), and some have major drives. I have season tickets to the AZ Cardinals and I have a 4+ hour drive from PHX to Vegas after the games. From experience I know a difference in getting out of the stadium of just 5 or 10 minutes can mean beating 30-40 minutes of gridlock in the parking lot.

But in general if you’re at the Gophers game and you live in like Eden Prairie and are just trying to get home a little quicker, I agree, WTF?

Yes they did miss a great play by Winfield but Johnson's ire is misdirected. With an announced crowd on 38,280 Ron should be ripping all the Gopher Fans who didn't even bother going to the game not the ones who left while the Gophers were ahead!

Perfect weather, solid opponent and way too many empty seats.

Though in the stadium itself it felt like there were more people in there than there actually was. It was sweetly loud in there. Just a damn fine way to spend an evening.

All that said yes, noticed and was surprised that people left early but don't really care. They all spent their money and time to get there in the first place. Why they left is their business.

On the bright side, it always makes it a little easier to drive out for the rest of us who stay until the end. It was only 12 minutes to get out of the ramp. :drink:

The attendance looked awful on TV last night and I can’t believe people would leave a super close game in the 4th quarter. Fan apathy remains a drag on this program.

They may have left early, but to be fair, they got there late. ;)

JTG

Second smallest crowd since the Gophers moved to TCF. Must have been the weather.

I have a hard time begrudging people for leaving early for the simple reason that everyone has a different situation. Yes, if you are just plain leaving early to beat traffic and you live in MSP, that’s kinda crappy.

But everyone’s situation is different; Some have young kids, maybe special needs children that simply don’t have the patience for the entire game (I’ve experienced that myself), and some have major drives. I have season tickets to the AZ Cardinals and I have a 4+ hour drive from PHX to Vegas after the games. From experience I know a difference in getting out of the stadium of just 5 or 10 minutes can mean beating 30-40 minutes of gridlock in the parking lot.

But in general if you’re at the Gophers game and you live in like Eden Prairie and are just trying to get home a little quicker, I agree, WTF?

I agree with you. Especially if you have kids, do what you need to do.

Otherwise, not sure why you'd leave that game early. It was clear it wasn't going to be settled until the very end.

Second smallest crowd since the Gophers moved to TCF. Must have been the weather.

If the team starts winning and ticket prices are brought more in-line with true market value, there's no reason we won't be back to 50,000 a game.

I love night games so last night was perfect - great weather and a great game under the lights.

To be fair at least where we sit there are a lot of folks at these non-conference games that are not season ticket holders. Many have been gifted tickets, often by family so they can bring their kids to a game.

These more casual, once-a-season "fans" get a pass from me.

Arguably if they stayed to see THAT ending they might shift from "casual" to 3-4 games a year. Hopefully that will happen when they see the highlight reel.

Late games aren't supposed to be how it is in college football, but TV rules the day now. People with young kids, absolutely my hats off to you. They get cranky and need bed.

Those who live south of the urban core and have to use 35W ... you also get a pass from me. Especially if traveling a decent amount and trying to get home not too late.

Only thing I don't understand is the students. Lots of students leave at halftime. I guess I don't know how it is now, but when I was at the U, parties or whatever really didn't start until after 11. Why leave at halftime of a good game?

At the same time, decent showing at the start from the students. Need to find a way to keep them there throughout the game. Figure the scholarship would help keep some there. Maybe more scholarship giveaways worth less money?

There was some kind of concert going on out of the stadium that you could hear music blaring from. Heard a bunch of students were making their way to Surly brewery, not sure what the had going but a bunch of students that left were going over to Surleys. Not an excuse just observation and what I heard from some students, some guitar player they liked.
Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

If the team starts winning and ticket prices are brought more in-line with true market value, there's no reason we won't be back to 50,000 a game.

Bingo. Of course, if they keep winning (over a few seasons), current prices will eventually become true market value.

Small sample size, but you gotta like the vibe under Fleck. Solid performances in conference play would mean the trajectory is increasing rapidly. Time will tell.

JTG

Keep in mind, football is a better game to watch on TV than in person.
This is more true now than ever before.

Not only are you able to watch your game better at home, but you can flip channels to watch a half dozen other games during the numerous commercials.
That and DVR capabilities, you have to reason to worry about missing a play, so you can watch 2-3 game simultaneously.

I enjoy being at the game, but TV, sofa, a 12 pack of beer for $15, it's a better experience.

Flipping through channels last night, there were several small crowds on TV. Florida St's game looked really thin.

Keep in mind, football is a better game to watch on TV than in person.
This is more true now than ever before.

Pro football, without a doubt. I wouldn't accept free Vikings tickets. Even this year.

I've always felt college ball was a little different though. Better atmosphere. If the Gophs keep winning (and find someone capable of getting timely replays up on the in-stadium screens), I think the live experience will soon pass the "comfort of your own home" factor.

The U has come perilously close to pricing itself out of relevance. If it was affordable, I'd have season tickets. Prices being what they are, I'll settle for 1-2 games a year. But I really look forward to 'em.

JTG

I stay to the bitter end for every game, and through the band playing Hail Minnesota, with all the players lined up in front of the band at the east end zone.

Tradition is a big part of college football.

Among the power 5 teams, Minnesota is at the bottom for in game atmosphere! We can't remotely come close to packing a 50,000 seat stadium, we have zero in game traditions, we are quiet, we stay seated. We are Minnesota nice!

On the bright side, it always makes it a little easier to drive out for the rest of us who stay until the end. It was only 12 minutes to get out of the ramp. :drink:

Agreed; I don't actively urge people to leave :D; but, there are benefits and I don't have that much interest in other people's lives. Next Saturday it will be a Football/Volleyball double header; so we'll probably hang around for the post game band show to fill in some time between the game and the match.

Among the power 5 teams, Minnesota is at the bottom for in game atmosphere! We can't remotely come close to packing a 50,000 seat stadium, we have zero in game traditions, we are quiet, we stay seated. We are Minnesota nice!

Clearly you’re joking.

Northwestern would kill for the Gophers atmosphere. So would Oregon St and I’m sure many other teams. They aren’t “at the bottom”. I’d accept in the bottom 25% though

Leaving early...it’s a Minnesota thing. It’s been done for as long as I can remember. For Gophers, Vikings, Twins, and so on...

The program is getting closer to drawing in the casual fans again. I have many friends that are casual fans. Big football fans especially Vikings, but not die hard Gopher fans. After the Boddy-Calhoun strip Nebraska win, I got lots of texts from them and then even shared a well attended bowl game party with them for the Missouri game. I got a couple texts after the game last night as they knew I was there and expressed that it was a fun game to watch and praise Winfield's play.

My point is that I feel we are not ignored in this town like Northwestern in Chicago where even big success doesn't change things. There is a lot of sports fans that like the Gophers and will come if the we can be better than average.

From today's Sports Huddle thread:

Thanks again for the notes;

Here's something to tell people about:

Sid: Gophers have $25 tickets for Miami game. Take advantage of good seats..

Top Bottom