Who is your Gophers MVP in the dramatic 21-14 win over Fresno State?

• Zack Annexstad

Votes: 11 11.5%
  • Tyler Johnson

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Antoine Winfield Jr

Votes: 42 43.8%
  • Blake Cashman

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Emmit Carpenter

Votes: 20 20.8%
  • Terell Smith

Votes: 9 9.4%
  • Rashod Bateman

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 4 4.2%

• Total voters

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

One of these guys:

Cashman
Winfield
T Smith
Zack
Seth Green
Tyler Johnson
Emmit Carpenter

Not an easy decision but I've got to go with Carpenter. Those two kicks really helped out when the offense couldn't get in the end zone. Certainly have to give tons of credit to other players, but Carpenter really came through tonight.

Lot's of good plays by lots of players. Voted Bateman because we were able to move the chains with him. Winfield's play was outstanding.

Has to be Winfield Jr for me. I don't know how many times I've been up on my feet for the defense (Vikings or Gophers) saying "C'mon somebody make a play"...only to see the opposition make said play. Tonight, Winfield Jr. made that play.

If the Gophers got the win in almost any other fashion, my vote would have gone to Emmit Carpenter. I can't say enough about the kid drilling two 50 plus yard field goals against a Fresno State special teams unit that blocked and returned two FG's for TD's last week.

2 for 2 both from 50+ yards for a college kicker = MVP.

Clutch players tonight: Winfield, Annexstad, Carpenter, Cashman, Smith, and many more.

If you hold a gun to my head (and I know a few that would like to) I’ll pick Winfield because that was an incredible play, both mental and physical. Runner-up would be Annexstad’s Minnesota Miracle, then Carpenter drilling the long field goals. He seems to have shelved the yips. Cashman is always around the ball and bring pressure on the QB at opportune times. A round of applause.

How about the guy who scored most of the points? Green. I voted for Bateman.

I went with Zack for MVP. For the second straight week Winfield deserved his own award category.

Tough, tough call. Give them all game balls.

Side comment: Man those Eden Prairie kids can play football !

Not an easy decision but I've got to go with Carpenter. Those two kicks really helped out when the offense couldn't get in the end zone. Certainly have to give tons of credit to other players, but Carpenter really came through tonight.

Those were indeed two great kicks. Help me out here. I was at the UNLV game last night and following the Gopher game on Gametracker. Gametracker has a "chances of victory" feature (expressed as a %) that seems to be updated after every play. I swear that when Carpenter increased our lead from 10-7 to 13-7, the needle hardly moved on that %. I was thinking, "did that field goal really help us that much?" I'm sure that ESPN has stats people who have analyzed scenarios when teams have a 3 or 6 point leads in the 4th quarter, and that the field goal did not change the fact that it was still a one possession game. Maybe with that field position the field goal attempt made sense, with better filed position it might be wise to go for the first down and hope to get a TD, which would definately improve the odds of victory. Anyway, a great victory!

Hard not to give it to Carpenter...Cashman again with a great overall performance, though. Either in my book.

Tough choice - could be any of them, but Winfield saved the day. How great to see Seth Green get two TDs and a double extra point, after all his ups and downs over the years. He really has an important role to play now.

Winfield is the easy answer due to the amazing interception at the end but I went with Carpenter for drilling 2 key 50+ yard field goals. That said, it wouldn't be hard to make a case for a bunch of guys on that list to be named MVP of that game. Just a great all around team effort considering the adversity they had to deal with on offense after losing one of the best players in the conference early in the game.

Winfield is the easy answer due to the amazing interception at the end but I went with Carpenter for drilling 2 key 50+ yard field goals. That said, it wouldn't be hard to make a case for a bunch of guys on that list to be named MVP of that game. Just a great all around team effort considering the adversity they had to deal with on offense after losing one of the best players in the conference early in the game.

If pressed the obvious choice is Winfield. I voted for Smith, but to be honest if was more of an "oh my god, we have another playermaker on the team" vote. I'm excited about this guy!

If pressed the obvious choice is Winfield. I voted for Smith, but to be honest if was more of an "oh my god, we have another playermaker on the team" vote. I'm excited about this guy!

My hope for this year was to have some PJ guys that I was as excited about as the leftover Kill/Claeys guys. Smith, Bateman, ZA all seem to be on that trajectory, Was Blaise a 100% PJ guy? or was he coming here before the hire was made.

Last edited:

It could be Fleck for sprinting down the sidelines to call timeout. I was wondering how long it would have taken Claeys to run down the sideline. He might just be arriving at the 10 today. Wonder who would be the fastest coach after Fleck? Brew, Mase in your face, Kill, Wackie, Guety, Lou, Murray, Stoll?

My hope for this year was to have some PJ guys that I was as excited about as the leftover Kill/Claeys guys. Smith, Bateman, ZA all seem to be on that trajectory, Was Blaise a 100% PJ guy? or was he coming here before the hire was made.

I think Blaise was committed before PJ was hired and decided to keep his commitment.

I voted Bateman, but after re-watching the game, I think it was Smith. Both had big plays and were consistent. Carpenter and Winfield would be next.

Top Bottom