[POST GAME THREAD] - Minnesota defeats Fresno St 21-14

Fun game, I was impressed by Zack once again, the WR group may be the best group that they've ever had, Terrell Smith has a bright future, Blake Cashman was everywhere, love Carter Coughlin's motor, Carpenter has an impressive leg and who hasn't been impressed by Winfield. On downside, the OL needs to play better (I wonder if Dunlp and/or Faalele get a shot soon?), punting is becoming a concern,I'd like to see a better pass rush and lets pray that Rodney Smith is okay.
They need to play Dunlap he is already stronger and meaner than any of the guys up front. I know they talk about sacrifice but when you have a thoroufgbred racehorse in the barn that is young but better sometimes you have to loosen the reigns and let them run. Gophers are going to need more push up front. Dunlop is similar to Zach the more he plays the better he will get. Dunlop already has man strength, he needs to play, he is to good not too. Maybe I am wrong but I think he Dunl p is to talented to sit out especially against a Big 10 opponent like Maryland or Iowa.
nt from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

There were also a bunch of plays that, had they gone the Gophers way, the game wouldn’t have been that close; near turnovers, etc. Fresno was fortunate to be in the game at the end.

Every game has those for both teams. It’s easy to forget the near breaks for the opponent. Like Fresno’s deep pass barely dropped, their interception where his toe was 1/4” out of bounds, the 3rd and long play where the gopher qb was running 20 yards backwards for his life and makes a miraculous pass and catch to stay alive, the play where McMaryion didn’t see a wide open uncovered receiver down field that would have been a sure 6, not to mention the final play of the game that was inches from being the tying touch down. Bottom line your guys made more of those plays than ours did and you deserved the win, but to pretend it should have been more lopsided is silly. It could have gone either way.

They need to play Dunlap he is already stronger and meaner than any of the guys up front. I know they talk about sacrifice but when you have a thoroufgbred racehorse in the barn that is young but better sometimes you have to loosen the reigns and let them run. Gophers are going to need more push up front. Dunlop is similar to Zach the more he plays the better he will get. Dunlop already has man strength, he needs to play, he is to good not too. Maybe I am wrong but I think he Dunl p is to talented to sit out especially against a Big 10 opponent like Maryland or Iowa.
nt from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

I'll trust the coaches to know if he's ready to be trusted with the rigors of big 10 games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every game has those for both teams. It’s easy to forget the near breaks for the opponent. Like Fresno’s deep pass barely dropped, their interception where his toe was 1/4” out of bounds, the 3rd and long play where the gopher qb was running 20 yards backwards for his life and makes a miraculous pass and catch to stay alive, the play where McMaryion didn’t see a wide open uncovered receiver down field that would have been a sure 6, not to mention the final play of the game that was inches from being the tying touch down. Bottom line your guys made more of those plays than ours did and you deserved the win, but to pretend it should have been more lopsided is silly. It could have gone either way.

True.

I guess I would disagree with comments about the OL. Last week I wrote that I wouldn’t trade our OL coach for the OL coach at Mich. — who jumped ship after last year. Now I am not so sure. Our OL line functions well when we have a running back like Rodney or Shannon but not so well when we are forced to go down the depth chart. In other words, when we need some movement up front we seem to get stymied. Our pass blocking —— particularly at the tackle positions need help. Hard to always keep a back in to help. Yet that’s what it looks like we will have to do. Not so sure if it might be necessary to pull some red shirts. Couldn’t do any worse.

That was a really talented defensive front and we were mostly throwing on third and long.

As Mr. In Iowa said, Zack wasn't doing them any favors. He was constantly leaving the pocket too quickly. I am really impressed with Zack, and he'll get better at this, but it's impossible to block for a QB who won't step up into the pocket.

That was a really talented defensive front and we were mostly throwing on third and long.

As Mr. In Iowa said, Zack wasn't doing them any favors. He was constantly leaving the pocket too quickly. I am really impressed with Zack, and he'll get better at this, but it's impossible to block for a QB who won't step up into the pocket.

What a fun game under the lights ! Wish we had more fans show up. I am excited about this group of freshman but they will definitely make some mistakes. This is the most talented group of wide receivers we have had who actually catch passes . PJF can recruit and I love watching him interact with the players. For me, this development of young men into good citizens is the best part.

This is the first defensive front, (we lost some starters last year, but there were so much depth and so many guys in rotation that this years starters had 20% of the snaps last year) that I can remember Fresno having that could match up with pretty much anyone. They weren’t pushed around by Alabama last year even. Bama had 300 yards rushing, but over half of that was jalen hurts scrambling when there was no one to pass to. We lost 41 to 10, but it was closer than that. Bama played their starters into the 4th, and their last td was after tedford had our 2s in. We were also in position to score another td at the end of the game and tedford had us take a knee and run the clock out. Don’t judge your o line too harshly based on their performance in this game. San Diego state led the country in rushing last year and we held them to 3 points. We held Boise to half their season average twice.

Just can't agree with you on this. Were you at the game? There was no pocket to step up to...he had to move laterally to keep those plays alive.

Just can't agree with you on this. Were you at the game? There was no pocket to step up to...he had to move laterally to keep those plays alive.

This is a little bit of a chicken and egg problem. There's no pocket because the defensive ends are able to just push the tackles right to him because he's falling too far back. He has to stand his ground more and the pocket will hold up. He's putting his linemen in a ****ty situation without even realizing it.

This is an experience issue and I'm sure it will get some attention this week before we go to Maryland.

This is a little bit of a chicken and egg problem. There's no pocket because the defensive ends are able to just push the tackles right to him because he's falling too far back. He has to stand his ground more and the pocket will hold up. He's putting his linemen in a ****ty situation without even realizing it.

This is an experience issue and I'm sure it will get some attention this week before we go to Maryland.

Again, don't agree with the premise you set up. Just did not see it. He stayed in too long at times.

I'll ask the same question, were you at the game?

I wasn't at the game. Watched it on television and ZA seemed a bit nervous in the pocket.

Again, don't agree with the premise you set up. Just did not see it. He stayed in too long at times.

I'll ask the same question, were you at the game?

I was not, but that means that I had a better view of what was going on.
Go back and watch the tape.
He falls too far back in the pocket and screws over his tackles.
Many of his scrambles were completely unnecessary.

If you don't trust me then you should know that even Leber called it out in the broadcast.

Last edited:

I was not, but that means that I had a better view of what was going on.
Go back and watch the tape.
He falls too far back in the pocket and screws over his tackles.
Many of his scrambles were completely unnecessary.

You don't see what is happening down field to affect his decisions on TV. Completely disagree with the bold. It was clear he had to scramble to buy time and keep the play alive. No question at all in my mind. Full stop.

Your receivers were great. They made a bunch of clutch plays, even under pressure. They made some nice catches that were perfectly defended. A bunch of your guys made nice plays. Good game. Congrats on the win.

Thanks. Tip of the hat to your Bulldogs. Though many of your fans may disagree, there was much coaching going on. Tedford and team almost pulled it off. I hope your team goes undefeated from here on out.

Also note on the game winning INT, Cashman was getting through which may have made the RB throw the ball a bit quicker and with more float than he maybe intended... but I've watched that play several times now at AW Jr identifies that pass so early and closes from the 2 1/2 or 3 yard line to 9 yards deep in the end zone in that short time.

Remarkable. It's not just athleticism but brains on that one.

Simply ELITE play. Time for the fans and boosters to get HYPRR!!

Hello all,

I would have posted this a few days ago but was waiting for the account validation. I just wanted to say congratulations on the win. Obviously this was very disappointing for us Fresno fans, but I think Tedford has the program going in the right direction. The game next year at Bulldog stadium will be rocking!

You don't see what is happening down field to affect his decisions on TV. Completely disagree with the bold. It was clear he had to scramble to buy time and keep the play alive. No question at all in my mind. Full stop.

I was at the game and watched it again at home and I can't agree with you. There were times his scrambling was necessary, also times he floats too deep back into the pocket and then his tackle is beat off the edge due to that's the direction the tackle is taught to block (push the guy way around the outside and just ride him that way). ZA made some spectacular plays but his pocket presence is not his strongest attribute yet. I agree with the other posters (and Leber) that he needs to step up into his pockets at times after watching it live and watching the tape.

Hello all,

I would have posted this a few days ago but was waiting for the account validation. I just wanted to say congratulations on the win. Obviously this was very disappointing for us Fresno fans, but I think Tedford has the program going in the right direction. The game next year at Bulldog stadium will be rocking!

Tough and well played game ToadLife. We have been on the other side of these losses many times. I got to talk with about six Fresno fans at the game and they were all really nice.
I'm hoping to make the trip next year and it should be another good matchup. You will lose your current QB (I wish the Gophers would have picked him up last summer when he decided to transfer), but it sounds like the backup who we got to see on one play is good too. Fresno produces a lot of QB talent (the Carr brothers, Martinez at Nebraska and others).

Great win. Perfect night.

Even with the small crowd the men's room was a mess. BRING BACK THE TROUGHS!

Rah.

I agree with you, you should tell that to 90% of the posters on your fan forum who thought this would be an easy win for Fresno St.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, just way too packed down on the open end zone. They could wrap that entire men's room with a trough and be 5x more efficient.

They have efficient bathrooms in Mexico too. Went to a rodeo there and the pisser was go on the other side of this wall and piss. They had efficient trash bins as well, everyone threw their empties into the ring to get swept up later.

I'm ok with having bathrooms that are a little classier. That seems to be the trend even at the State fair grounds.

Finally got to watch the full game on YouTube.

I think the freshman are doing great. Smith is an outstanding corner, and Bateman is going to break a few this year. Annexstad is doing alright, but he did dodge 4 interceptions that I counted. He is already a major step up from last season and should develop nicely though. I certainly like his poise. Williams looked good on the last TD drive, but didn't do much early. Just seemed to run straight ahead with his head down.

The offensive line is not good. Sure, Annexstad needs to stop running backwards, but most of the time it doesn't seem he has a choice. I also don't think they're making good holes for the RB's. Then again going from Smith to a true freshman, maybe Williams needs to see the field better.

Johnson is too unpredictable in terms of his hands. Dropped balls and fumbles are not acceptable for an upper classman. I'd like to see more of Bateman. He could break one at any time. Autman-Bell has great hands and evidently a strong neck, considering he still has his head after many of those slants. I'm worried he's going to get hurt if he keeps running those. Douglas and Howard haven't shown anything. Surprised Douglas was targeted on a long ball (that was almost picked, btw) and not Bateman.

Defense looks good, but not great. They are fast and making good tackles, but they still don't have a good pass rush. Granted FS's QB had a quick release, but it's certainly an area they need to improve upon. Looking forward to seeing Smith and Williamson as the two CB's. Wasn't impressed with Durr.

Carpenter is great, the punter is not. We're going to lose a game or two due to field position with the way he's punting.

Play calling is better, but still predictable at times -- especially the Wildcat. Every time I see Green I think (Marquis) Gray, 95% chance of run in the forecast. I know Green is a beast, but why does he often run past his blocker? Which, btw, is a major telegraph on which way he's going to run the ball. Glad he threw on the 2-pointer. If he's allowed to do that more often, it will open things up more.

All in all, I noticed improvement and flashes of brilliance at times. I thought we'd lose this game by two scores, but after the win I am feeling more like a winning record this year is reasonable.

The Fresno State game that could have easily gone to FSU by mere inches play could not have come at a better time for the Gophers instead of a cupcake opponent. The Gophers probably weren't resting much after the game with lots of film study and teaching moments.

Lots of positives and concerns. A concern is how will our Offensive Line hold up against Big Ten play. I like our receivers. Great DB speed. Love Carpenter. The OL and the replacement RBs needs lots of reps in practice.

Last edited:

Nice review. Green isn’t going to fool anyone in 2018 but he’s such a load on short yardage. Absolutely love seeing him out there. And, he can throw it when necessary. Will we ever see him line up under center at the goal line?

Nice review. Green isn’t going to fool anyone in 2018 but he’s such a load on short yardage. Absolutely love seeing him out there. And, he can throw it when necessary. Will we ever see him line up under center at the goal line?

That's why I'd like to see them not go wildcat, but take Annexstad out and bring in either an Extra TE for blocking purposes or a WR to at least have a legit chance of throwing it to someone out wide, because Zack isn't going to be a threat at WR

I hear you but that close to the goal line he should be able to gain a yard, or if their front is particularly good feint the run and get the ball to a TE leaking out to the corner. I like what he brings in those situations.

Top Bottom