[POST GAME THREAD] - Minnesota defeats Fresno St 21-14

Hollinsanity

Reaction score
What’d you think, Gopherhole?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great plays by Johnson & Winfield were the difference.

Wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes...remarkable play in the end zone.

Wins are better than losses, that's for damn sure. I hope Fresno goes 11-1.

So much respect for Fresno St! That game was awesome to watch!

An insane play by Winfield clinches an exciting game. Would’ve been interesting to see if they went for 1 or 2 after scoring.

And now we all hold our breadth for news on Rodney’s injury

Seriously, that scramble and completion by Zack A was a page right out of the Fran Tarkenton school of QB'ing.

Wow. Just wow. My head is swimming...who can post a coherent thought right now?!
Annexstad looking like Fran Tarkenton finding TJ on a critical 3rd down.
Our 4th string RB with almost 30 carries.
The DB's locking down an explosive team for about 50 minutes.
Carpenter nailing TWO 50+ yd FG's!
Winfield making possibly the best play you'll see this season at any level of football. I mean, miraculous.

6 wins looking a LOT more realistic now. B1G West lackluster thus far, but be sure to bring the Maalox to every game, boys. Gonna be a LOT of nail biters like this.

I'll tell you one thing: regardless of how you feel about Fleck personally, if you don't like the direction of this program, you're crazy. This team is SO much more talented than the versions we've seen in recent years. Growing slowly, yes...but man, the recruiting is already paying huge dividends. When you watch Bateman, CAB, T. Smith, Annexstad, et al they're next level. And we've not seen much of other very heralded talents like Faalele, Dunlap, Rush...

We have some Great young WRs!

There are definitely more play-makers on this team - on BOTH sides of the ball. There are still going to be ups and downs with a young group, but there are reasons for optimism.

Seriously, that scramble and completion by Zack A was a page right out of the Fran Tarkenton school of QB'ing.

First of all, he starts running back and I'm thinking he's blowing it big time, then he turns back to his left side and buys time. Keeps looking down field, and makes a throw that only TJ can get. Looked like the throw was going out of bounds.

That was the play of the game... well, until Winfield shows up again.

Nice play call on the 2 point conversion.
That was well setup throughout the game.

Wildcat is the safest short yardage package we have.

Bryce Williams had a couple bigger runs on that last scoring drive. Hopefully he's getting his timing figured out. He can run with some power / ability to break tackles if he's one-on-one with a guy. I see that he has some upside potential.

I think the biggest loss of #1 is that we were hoping to use him for catching out of the backfield and we didn't throw much if at all to the backs without him in there.

I guess our secondary isn't quite as bad as some FS fans thought. Great game.

Small point. I’m glad the refs have figured out targeting. Two years ago that Coughlin hit would have been an ejection

Wow. I was at work but man what a win, Fresno is supposed to be pretty good.. Hopefully it was a good game to watch.

I know that wildcat can get old, but it was a lifesaver tonight with our running game stalling at times. Gave a little break to Williams and was successful overall. Can't forget the two point conversion they got out of it.

A lot of credit to Rob Smith and the defense. Shutting out NMST in the second half last week and shutting down a prolific offense for the whole game really. Their first touchdown came because we gave them the ball inside our 20. They did a great job. Great scheme, great execution. I hope we see this all season no matter what our record ends up. This is encouraging.

Can't forget Carpenter either.....which I kind of did because of the fabulous interception to seal things.

Incredible play by Winfield. I was telling my wife there is no way he stayed in bounds. Then saw the replay. Simply amazing. Same without the catch by Johnson on 3rd and long. It had to be crazy playing against him in 1A HS football.

The start certainly was deflating. It didn’t look good but maybe Rodney will get lucky.

I thought the play calling got a little conservative in the 2nd half. Get the ball in the hands of your play makers on the outside. I especially didn’t like the 3rd and 4 run call just before the 2nd FG. We were rarely getting 4 yards on runs to that point.

It wasn’t always pretty but it was a good win against a good team.

Also note on the game winning INT, Cashman was getting through which may have made the RB throw the ball a bit quicker and with more float than he maybe intended... but I've watched that play several times now at AW Jr identifies that pass so early and closes from the 2 1/2 or 3 yard line to 9 yards deep in the end zone in that short time.

Remarkable. It's not just athleticism but brains on that one.

Small point. I’m glad the refs have figured out targeting. Two years ago that Coughlin hit would have been an ejection

I wish they would explain why it was roughing. Did he hit him late? Seemed like the flag came after they saw the QB was hurt.

Also note on the game winning INT, Cashman was getting through which may have made the RB throw the ball a bit quicker and with more float than he maybe intended... but I've watched that play several times now at AW Jr identifies that pass so early and closes from the 2 1/2 or 3 yard line to 9 yards deep in the end zone in that short time.

Remarkable. It's not just athleticism but brains on that one.

Culture.

I wish they would explain why it was roughing. Did he hit him late? Seemed like the flag came after they saw the QB was hurt.

Agreed. If the QB doesn’t fall, Coughlin hits him right in the midsection and probably no flag

What happened to all those exotic schemes and playmakers for Fresno St that I heard the Gophers would have no idea how to stop??????

Top Bottom