[POST GAME THREAD] - Minnesota defeats Fresno St 21-14

I mean, what else is there left to say! Need Rodney back and have got to figure out a way to start faster in the second half. I think we are shut out in the third quarter this year,

I wish they would explain why it was roughing. Did he hit him late? Seemed like the flag came after they saw the QB was hurt.

On replay he goes helmet to helmet. Yes, QB was dropping but I believe that was the reason. I don't think it was "late" but it was after the ball left. So in a refs head it could have been a bit of both.

Yeah the Defense was great... if not for the Johnson's fumble deep in our own zone and giving them a really short field, we kept them at bay. We played really well defensively. My only complaint is how our offense went into "play not to lose" mode and that gave them a chance to tire the defense out. Carpenter is playing great. Zack is great for true freshman. All our WRs can catch and seem to be able to get open, we are 100x better at WR than a couple years ago. RB worries me if Smith is out any extended time. Winfield's play was even more impressive if you go back and watch how fast he noticed he got faked out and how fast he caught up to the open TE, and how high he jumped. Then to put one foot down, and sacrifice your body for your team. Wow, just wow...

Yeah the Defense was great... if not for the Johnson's fumble deep in our own zone and giving them a really short field, we kept them at bay. We played really well defensively. My only complaint is how our offense went into "play not to lose" mode and that gave them a chance to tire the defense out. Carpenter is playing great. Zack is great for true freshman. All our WRs can catch and seem to be able to get open, we are 100x better at WR than a couple years ago. RB worries me if Smith is out any extended time. Winfield's play was even more impressive if you go back and watch how fast he noticed he got faked out and how fast he caught up to the open TE, and how high he jumped. Then to put one foot down, and sacrifice your body for your team. Wow, just wow...

Your receivers were great. They made a bunch of clutch plays, even under pressure. They made some nice catches that were perfectly defended. A bunch of your guys made nice plays. Good game. Congrats on the win.

I don't know if I've ever seen two plays as good as Johnson and Winfield made in one season before, let alone one quarter.

Hope Rodney's injury isn't serious, but I fear it is the classic non-contact ACL tear. He planted, and you could see just the slightest buckle, and he immediately favored it, even before the play was over.

Great effort by everyone tonight.

Incredible play by Winfield. I was telling my wife there is no way he stayed in bounds. Then saw the replay. Simply amazing. Same without the catch by Johnson on 3rd and long. It had to be crazy playing against him in 1A HS football.

The start certainly was deflating. It didn’t look good but maybe Rodney will get lucky.

I thought the play calling got a little conservative in the 2nd half. Get the ball in the hands of your play makers on the outside. I especially didn’t like the 3rd and 4 run call just before the 2nd FG. We were rarely getting 4 yards on runs to that point.

It wasn’t always pretty but it was a good win against a good team.

I agree on the Winfield play. When I saw it in real time I thought there was no way it was going to stand but then the replay showed and you could clearly see the foot down. Just an amazing play by a great football player. Hope he can stay healthy all year because he is a difference maker on the field.

After years of crap wide receiver play it is so nice to see a group that looks like it has a chance to be special. For the first time in a long time there are multiple guys on the outside that can make plays and we seem to have a coaching staff that understands the forward pass and how to use it.

The play call on the two point play was awesome. And the fact that it worked is even better because now teams have seen that Green can throw the ball which is going to make them less likely to sell out on him running the ball everytime. Most dangerous wildcat offenses are ones where the wildcat QB can throw.

Defense played solid, Carpenter drilled some 50 yard FG's and overall the team looked solid.

Here's hoping we get good news on Smith as it would be a killer to lose him for an extended period of time. Great to get the win over a solid non-conf team and move to 2-0

Winfield might win Jim Thorpe...

PJ gets player of the game for sprinting down to the goal line to call time out.

Your receivers were great. They made a bunch of clutch plays, even under pressure. They made some nice catches that were perfectly defended. A bunch of your guys made nice plays. Good game. Congrats on the win.

Thanks. Good luck rest of year

I'm debating making trek to Fresno next year

I want to take a second to mention Terrell Smith at DB. He played a great game as well. This team, and these freshman, are going to make some plays at some point that will frustrate us and most likely cost us a game. But you can see the increased talent on the field. If you can’t you are in denial. He’s got a ton to learn but we may actually have a real QB to work with. I loved the fact that after the last TD they showed Green, ZA and Morgan in a huddle talking together with big smiles. Looks like they support each other.

Folks, Bateman is the real damn deal.

Now, let’s hope the news on Smith is good. If he is out we are going to feel that for sure. The only other negative of the night that I can see is the O-line. This unit needs to get more physical in the run game before conference games start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I couldnt be more surprised if I had woken up with my head sewn to the carpet."

-Clark W. Griswold Jr.

Winfield, great
Carpenters Kicks, great
Tyler Johnson's elevation, great,
Annexstad, got the damned job done.

That’s one of the greatest plays I’ve seen any any sport in my 46 years, period. AW #11

The only other negative of the night that I can see is the O-line. This unit needs to get more physical in the run game before conference games start.

I’m actually not that concerned about the O-Line. This was one of the most experienced defenses the Gophers will face all year; 7-8 returning starters from last year’s 10-win team, one Sophomore and the rest JR’s and SR’s; That’s a pretty solid defense they went up against.

They need to get better, and I think they will, but I don’t know that tonight was cause to raise the red flag.

Final Drive blows. We can watch 10 minutes of a Nebraska loss and Michigan and Ohio State blow-outs. Then, 17 seconds on what was the biggest win for the conference so far this week, with some amazing plays, in the Gopher game. Disappointing to say the least.

Last edited:

I want to take a second to mention Terrell Smith at DB. He played a great game as well. This team, and these freshman, are going to make some plays at some point that will frustrate us and most likely cost us a game. But you can see the increased talent on the field. If you can’t you are in denial. He’s got a ton to learn but we may actually have a real QB to work with. I loved the fact that after the last TD they showed Green, ZA and Morgan in a huddle talking together with big smiles. Looks like they support each other.

Folks, Bateman is the real damn deal.

Now, let’s hope the news on Smith is good. If he is out we are going to feel that for sure. The only other negative of the night that I can see is the O-line. This unit needs to get more physical in the run game before conference games start.

He is really impressive. Has that easy speed that gets him into fourth gear in the blink of an eye.

It's nice to actually see us with a passing game that doesn't resemble something out of Pop Warner.

He is really impressive. Has that easy speed that gets him into fourth gear in the blink of an eye.

It's nice to actually see us with a passing game that doesn't resemble something out of Pop Warner.

I really, REALLY like Autman-Bell. He’s flying under the radar a little with them having T Johnson and the emergence of Batmeman but CAB is going to be a playmaker, no doubt about it.

Final Drive blows. We can watch 10 minutes of a Nebraska loss and Michigan and Ohio State blow-outs. Then, 17 seconds on what was the biggest win for the conference so far this week, with some amazing plays, in the Gopher game. Disappointing to say the least.

Game wasn't on BTN... maybe that's why.

I really, REALLY like Autman-Bell. He’s flying under the radar a little with them having T Johnson and the emergence of Batmeman but CAB is going to be a playmaker, no doubt about it.

He had some tough catches but if it hits his hands it's not coming loose.

CRAB hands as Fleck says.

Has no problem going over the middle too. He made a few nice catches in traffic.

For the good of the game, the third quarter should have been skipped. But otherwise; Winfield! the scramble and catch by Johnson! the pass by Green made for a fun night at the bank.

Gophers scored what I expected but I was about 30 points off on Fresno scoring - really impressive defense by Gophers, including the many freshmen; Winfield amazing, as were our receivers, Annexstad very solid passing game. The "culture"seems to be working- great team spirit now.

Just got back from the game - great crowd, had a lot of fun.

Top Bottom