Page 39 of 43 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast

President Trump, speaking at the White House, said: “We’ve come to a very substantial phase one deal”...adding it will take three to five weeks to get written. The deal includes intellectual property, financial services and $40-$50 billion related to agriculture products. It is unclear what the U.S will give up in return and a comprehensive trade deal will have two or three phases.

The U.S. will not be raising tariffs on the Chinese next week to the 30 percent level as part of this agreement.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics...e-deal-reports

Quote Originally Posted by bga1 View Post
    President Trump, speaking at the White House, said: ďWeíve come to a very substantial phase one dealĒ...adding it will take three to five weeks to get written. The deal includes intellectual property, financial services and $40-$50 billion related to agriculture products. It is unclear what the U.S will give up in return and a comprehensive trade deal will have two or three phases.

The U.S. will not be raising tariffs on the Chinese next week to the 30 percent level as part of this agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by bga1 View Post
    President Trump, speaking at the White House, said: “We’ve come to a very substantial phase one deal”...adding it will take three to five weeks to get written. The deal includes intellectual property, financial services and $40-$50 billion related to agriculture products. It is unclear what the U.S will give up in return and a comprehensive trade deal will have two or three phases.

Blog Entries

The only thing that has happened in this trade war is the balanced reduction in trade that has occured in the same ratio as the last several decades. So, the effect is not more fair trade, but less trade. This is the everybody loses trade war.
    You can call me Shirley. The "S" has to stand for something!

Quote Originally Posted by Dean S View Post
    The only thing that has happened in this trade war is the balanced reduction in trade that has occured in the same ratio as the last several decades. So, the effect is not more fair trade, but less trade. This is the everybody loses trade war.
    There's no question. The only question is "do China and our other trading partners realize this, and will they come to the table". What will be the final result? Probably depends on Trump getting reelected. No doubt Warren would immediately undo everything Trump has done.

Quote Originally Posted by Section2 View Post
    There's no question. The only question is "do China and our other trading partners realize this, and will they come to the table". What will be the final result? Probably depends on Trump getting reelected. No doubt Warren would immediately undo everything Trump has done.
    Pretty sure China, under an authoritarian government that doesn't care about its people, is far better suited to last through this than U.S., under an authoritarian branch of government that doesn't care about its people, but who still cannot (legally) prevent dissent from its public.

Quote Originally Posted by Section2 View Post
    Not sure if your last sentence is sarcasm, but I actually worry Bernie or Warren would continue with the protectionism and trade wars.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by justthefacts View Post
    Not sure if your last sentence is sarcasm, but I actually worry Bernie or Warren would continue with the protectionism and trade wars.
    They might, but to what end?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cncmin View Post
    Pretty sure China, under an authoritarian government that doesn't care about its people, is far better suited to last through this than U.S., under an authoritarian branch of government that doesn't care about its people, but who still cannot (legally) prevent dissent from its public.
    I would disagree with this whole point. The Chinese government does care about its people, just not in our modeled fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean S View Post
    I would disagree with this whole point. The Chinese government does care about its people, just not in our modeled fashion.
    Yeah, I guess I'm falsely equating lack of a Western liberal democracy with lack of care for its people, which as you pointed out is untrue. Maybe to rephrase, then: because they can legally squash discontent and do not face the same electoral peril, in my opinion they are better suited to ride out the trade storm.

Probably. If you are always worried you neighbor has 10 apples on his tree, and you have only 9, the best answer is to cut down the trees.

Blog Entries

Our Great Patriot Farmers are winning so much they're going up to Trump in tears at his rallies to thank him. He said so. This must be fake news.

Leave to the left to pine for the inequality we faced under the old China trade deals. The farmers are fine. They're getting subsidies to get them by. The subsidies are paid for by the tariffs.
    If at first you donít succeed, then maybe you just suck. Ė Kenny Powers

Quote Originally Posted by Costa Rican Gopher View Post
    Leave to the left to pine for the inequality we faced under the old China trade deals. The farmers are fine. They're getting subsidies to get them by. The subsidies are paid for by the tariffs.
    The farmers are fine, they are on welfare!

Now we need to figure out how to cut all that welfare to cities!

rabble rabble rabble!