Page 33 of 43 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Section2 View Post
    such as? We have been trying to weaken the dollar for a decade.
    Selling off dollars through the Exchange Stabilization Fund. Probably a drop in the bucket, but the action may have more symbolic importance.

Quote Originally Posted by saintpaulguy View Post
    Selling off dollars through the Exchange Stabilization Fund. Probably a drop in the bucket, but the action may have more symbolic importance.
    I don't think you realize the massive amounts needed to move the dollar. Those amounts certainly do not exist in the ESF. The Fed controls the value of the dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by cncmin View Post
    I agree with everything left here (took out a sentence that I could not confirm), except sometimes regulation does actually help. Other times, not so much, and as S2 would gleefully point out, sometimes it hurts. In the case of banking, yes, the money of the banks bought their deregulation. Given ever greater corruption with no Maximus Aurelius in sight and a current POTUS dead set on industries deregulating themselves, how does that get fixed?
    Trump will not let the banks run wild on America. The banks know this, which is why 99.5% of all campaign donations went to Hillary. I believe we're going to see a major shakeup in his second term, when he doesn't have to worry about re-election. I expect him to re-introduce Glass-Steagall as he said he would, or...knowing Trump, it will be a bit better deal for the American people than than Glass Steagall, and will be called the "Trump-Responsible-Trump-Banking-Trump-Bill".

For my long shot, wild card prediction, that would put the egomaniac on Mount Rushmore...In his second term Trump ends the Fed, & re-establishes the Gold Standard.
    If at first you donít succeed, then maybe you just suck. Ė Kenny Powers

Quote Originally Posted by Costa Rican Gopher View Post
    Trump will not let the banks run wild on America. The banks know this, which is why 99.5% of all campaign donations went to Hillary. I believe we're going to see a major shakeup in his second term, when he doesn't have to worry about re-election. I expect him to re-introduce Glass-Steagall as he said he would, or...knowing Trump, it will be a bit better deal for the American people than than Glass Steagall, and will be called the "Trump-Responsible-Trump-Banking-Trump-Bill".

For my long shot, wild card prediction, that would put the egomaniac on Mount Rushmore...In his second term Trump ends the Fed, & re-establishes the Gold Standard.
    I will work as your Butler for a full year if your second prediction comes true. Sadly, I don't believe it's possible to go back on the gold standard. But I am very well positioned to profit incredibly well.

Quote Originally Posted by justthefacts View Post
    Lower steel prices? you sure that's the narrative you want to promote?

I don't think Trump wants to get rid of the FED. He just wants a FED chairman who will do whatever Trump wants, no questions asked.

of course, that would take the FED away as one of his talking points. "Everything would be better if the FED just did what I want." Well, be careful of what you ask for.

as a philosophical matter, given a choice between more power to the Presidency and less power, I would prefer less power. Swing the pendulum back to Congress - and to the States. I don't want an all-power President of EITHER party. (except, in my more cynical moments, I imagine a President Hillary Clinton with total power, if only to watch bga and section 2 go totally insane.....)

The impending recession isn't entirely due to the tariffs / trade war, but those things certainly don't help. One way or another, the die was cast on this economy the night he was elected, and it's been cemented in place by the number of foolish things he's done, including but limited to the tax scam he proposed and signed. He's most definitely running the country like he ran all his other failed enterprises.

At the end of the day, the stock market hasn’t had a bad down turn since 2008/2009 era.

It’s due for a recession. They’re a natural part of life. You can’t keep growing forever.

Just in time for the 2020 elections too. Good

Quote Originally Posted by short ornery norwegian View Post
    I don't think Trump wants to get rid of the FED. He just wants a FED chairman who will do whatever Trump wants, no questions asked.

of course, that would take the FED away as one of his talking points. "Everything would be better if the FED just did what I want." Well, be careful of what you ask for.

as a philosophical matter, given a choice between more power to the Presidency and less power, I would prefer less power. Swing the pendulum back to Congress - and to the States. I don't want an all-power President of EITHER party. (except, in my more cynical moments, I imagine a President Hillary Clinton with total power, if only to watch bga and section 2 go totally insane.....)
    A Dem president with total power would be worse for you than for me, I'm sorry to say. But yes, I'd go nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Gopher View Post
    The impending recession isn't entirely due to the tariffs / trade war, but those things certainly don't help. One way or another, the die was cast on this economy the night he was elected, and it's been cemented in place by the number of foolish things he's done, including but limited to the tax scam he proposed and signed. He's most definitely running the country like he ran all his other failed enterprises.
    It has almost nothing to do with the trade war, but that could be a catalyst. The die was cast in 2008 in our response to the financial crisis. The problem was a completely overleveraged consumer, and mountains of bad debt and insolvent institutions. The proper response is ALWAYS to allow bad debts to be written off, the quicker the better, the medicine to be taken, and for growth to begin anew. People with a lot of money and power did not want that route to be taken, and so we are set up for a bigger crisis.

That has nothing to do with Trump, although the uninformed will blame him. FWIW, if Trump were in Obama's/Bush shoes he probably wouldn't have done anything different.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Gopher View Post
    Impending recession? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Costa Rican Gopher View Post
    Impending recession? Really?
    You are aware the Fed just cut rates. You are aware the yield curve inverted which has predicted every recession in decades. You are aware that this is the longest expansion without a recession I think in history? It's coming. Trump is trying to hold it off til after the election, but it's coming. It's not the greatest economy in history.

Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    At the end of the day, the stock market hasn’t had a bad down turn since 2008/2009 era.

It’s due for a recession. They’re a natural part of life. You can’t keep growing forever.

Just in time for the 2020 elections too. Good
    There's no valid reason to believe a recession is coming. All this is, is the left & their partners in the multi-national corporations hoping to scare the US consumer enough to create a recession, in order to damage Trump in the 2020 election.

The multi-national corporations have invested heavily in the global model & do not want all that wealth coming back to the United States. Under globalism the multi-national corporations have crushed the American working class, injured the American middle class, created the Rust Belt, exfiltrated our country's wealth & exponentially widened the wealth gap.

Trump is the enemy of those multi-national corporations, because he's upset the global economy & is fighting to for the American worker, rather than the corporate class. He is putting Main St. ahead of Wall St. for the first time since NAFTA was passed.

Quote Originally Posted by Section2 View Post
    You are aware the Fed just cut rates. You are aware the yield curve inverted which has predicted every recession in decades. You are aware that this is the longest expansion without a recession I think in history? It's coming. Trump is trying to hold it off til after the election, but it's coming. It's not the greatest economy in history.
    You are aware the yield curve inverted for less than an hour last Wednesday based on a massive influx of foreign capital? Supply & demand. When the EU is offering negative interest rates because their economies are hurting, their investors look to purchase US Bonds because our economy is the best around. You are aware there have been many negative yield curves, that never predicted recessions? Funny how the media keeps forgetting to mention that. You are aware that in order to be a recession, we must post two straight quarters of negative GDP? We haven't had one quarter of negative GDP, much less two quarters of negative GDP & no one is predicting a negative GDP for Q3 either. This is a manufactured crisis.