Finally comfortable in TV booth, former Viking Ben Leber will work Gophers’ game Sat

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

Ben Leber can admit it now.

When the former Vikings linebacker retired after a 10-year NFL career in 2011 and transitioned to broadcasting, he was “lost” behind the microphone. It was a feeling that lasted years.

“I don’t think I felt comfortable being in the booth until a year and a half ago,” Leber said. “There was a point midseason where I was much more confident in what I was doing and much more confident in my prep.”

Leber, who played for the Vikings from 2006-10, will provide color commentary on FS1 when the Gophers (1-0) face Fresno State (1-0) at 6:30 p.m. Saturday at TCF Bank Stadium.

Leber has called one previous Gophers game, the 54-21 victory over Nebraska last year. On Thursday, he shared a few observations on the Gophers-Fresno State match-up.

“I’m impressed by both teams,” he said. “Fresno had an amazing turnaround two years ago. They won one game (1-11 in 2016) and this last year they won 10.”

https://www.twincities.com/2018/09/...ben-leber-will-work-gophers-game-on-saturday/

Go Gophers!!

Not insightful. Not informative. Not interesting. Not funny.

Explains why KFAN puts him on the air all day long.

Saw him at the fair Sunday. Looks like he could play tomorrow if he needed to...

Good for him, I’ve always enjoyed listening to him on the radio.

I've heard him announce games and think he does a decent job

Better than Joey Galloway

I like his takes on football as a whole and I think he is a good announcer. If I'm not at the game, I'll be happy to listen to him on the broadcast.

I hope the Gophers win and Ben has a great time. This could be the tip of the iceberg for turning the media around for the Gophers. Everybody at KFAN loves Ben.

Nothing says Gopher football like a thread about Ben Leber

He went to Kansas State, so you know he's really bright. They don't just let anyone in there.

He's likable, knowledgible, seems intelligent. His Kansas State time was when they were a pretty good team so he has intimate knowledge of what a good college football team looks like. I like hearing his takes, maybe he can offer some insight to gopherholers into what RPO means.

I like him on KFAN. I'll record the game and grade his performance when I get home from the stadium. Unless the Gophers lose. If that happens I'll immediately delete it and call for Fleck's head.

I like him on KFAN. I'll record the game and grade his performance when I get home from the stadium. Unless the Gophers lose. If that happens I'll immediately delete it and call for Fleck's head.

This kind of attitude is what every gopher fan needs to emulate

Funny as would say the opposite. If he's on the Powertrip when I hop in the car I'll actually not flip the station.

Leber was great last night, I really like him in the booth.

I'm not a huge fan of Leber in the booth ... yet. He seems like a likable guy, and you can't argue with his creds. But I think he's occasionally guilty of talking without knowing what he should say. I know that's not an unpardonable sin for a broadcaster, but there are also a few times where I just plain don't agree with his characterization of what's going on.

JTG

I thought he did a decent job. A little bit too much of the "he did a nice job on that play" stuff, but I honestly don't expect much from most analysts.

Just because you played the game, that doesn't mean you can analyze a play, break down what happened, formulate a thought and make a short, accurate statement on cue. IMHO, most analysts really don't add much to the game. I think most knowledgeable fans could do the same type of job.

Bercich, on the other hand, does a commendable job, I believe. I remember catching a game on the radio last year, and actually learned a few things listening to him. Hopefully Leber gets there someday.

JTG

Leber was very complimentary of the Gophers on the Power Trip this morning and admitted he is cheering for the Gophers to do well.

I thought he did a decent job. A little bit too much of the "he did a nice job on that play" stuff, but I honestly don't expect much from most analysts.

Just because you played the game, that doesn't mean you can analyze a play, break down what happened, formulate a thought and make a short, accurate statement on cue. IMHO, most analysts really don't add much to the game. I think most knowledgeable fans could do the same type of job.

I think Leber is good on giving insights on defensive stuff but less so on offense. I thought he had good analysis on ways the linebackers or coverage was setup or what they key'd on.

Leber does a decent enough job, and Berchich is OK, nothing groundbreaking, but who really does that great of a job on TV anyway.

Chris Spielman was great before he went to the NFL though, mainly due to his bluntness and fearless comments, and the big names on ABC/ESPN get pretty full of themselves pretty fast and become intolerable, or just sucked the whole time (Greise JR.)

Some of the FSN/ Fox commentators (Petros P.) are sort of unconventional and thus good.

Finally got to watch some of the game on TV.

I thought Leber did a great job, very smooth delivery, knowledgeable.

Former coaches and quarterbacks tend to give the best insights as a general rule.

Top Bottom