House: With a young roster, creativity is key for the Gophers

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per House:

With young players throughout the roster, the Gophers football team will need to be creative in many ways during the 2018 season. Specifically with the current roster, it’s the defense’s overall speed that jumps off the page.

The unique skillsets available defensively allow head coach P.J. Fleck and the coaching staff to place players in favorable positions. This was noticeable on defense during the Gophers’ 48-10 win over New Mexico State. Minnesota sent a variety of different blitz packages to put pressure on the quarterback.

Last year, the Gophers’ ability to send pressure was drastically impacted by inexperience and depth issues they faced in the secondary.

“When you’re either handcuffed by depth issues or roster issues or scholarship issues, or youth issues, it’s [hard to be creative],” head coach P.J. Fleck said this spring. “And you don’t want to fit the square peg into the round hole, you want to let that maturation process happen naturally.”

Last season when Minnesota sent more than four rushers, defensive backs were tasked with playing man-to-man coverage on the outside. It meant defensive coordinator Robb Smith couldn’t fully maximize the potential of players like linebacker Kamal Martin, pass rusher Carter Coughlin and defensive end Tai’yon Devers. This year, new options in the secondary like true freshman Terell Smith, along with the return of Antoine Winfield Jr., leave room for creativity.

http://www.1500espn.com/gophers-2/2018/09/young-roster-creativity-key-gophers/

Go Gophers!!

My guess is we'll see a run-heavy offensive for the first half. 70-30 or more.

Depending on how that goes, I'd bet on our receivers getting the quick hit slants over the middle in the second half. I don't see Fleck trying to light it up with Annexstad in this game. Ball control and keeping the defense off the field will be keys. I see a low score as we try to play away from FS' strengths. 17-14 Gophers

My guess is we'll see a run-heavy offensive for the first half. 70-30 or more.

Depending on how that goes, I'd bet on our receivers getting the quick hit slants over the middle in the second half. I don't see Fleck trying to light it up with Annexstad in this game. Ball control and keeping the defense off the field will be keys. I see a low score as we try to play away from FS' strengths. 17-14 Gophers

I’d say that’s what they’d like to do but I’d put big money on Fresno loading the box to stop smith to make ZA beat them. And I don’t think we have the hogs on the line that can just push them back to make the run game dominate without the top being pulled off

Magpie, why did you call out Daniel for "stroking his own ego" in posting that other thread. It's gone now, but going straight to the personal attack, eh? Interesting move.

We accidentally double posted. My apologies for the mix-up and it's been fixed. I had a few seconds and just tossed it up without realizing it was already there.

We accidentally double posted. My apologies for the mix-up and it's been fixed. I had a few seconds and just tossed it up without realizing it was already there.

No worries on that. Figured as much. :cool:

Don't worry about it. Someone just needs to calm down a bit. Thanks for everything you do.

per House:

With young players throughout the roster, the Gophers football team will need to be creative in many ways during the 2018 season.

It helps that the defense isn't young...

The two fifth year seniors, Moore and OJ Smith, anchor the line.
Having the redshirt juniors, Silver and Renner backing them up, further adds maturity to the d-line.

Junior Carter Coughlin and redshirt junior Winston DeLattiboudere on the ends add to the experience and age of the d-line. Junior Devers as a back-up adds more age to the d-line group.

Having senior Cashman and juniors Barber and Martin as three main linebackers makes the LB group old and experienced as well. Senior Julian Huff appears to be first backup linebacker in.

Julian's twin brother, senior Jacob Huff, is the veteran leader in the secondary. Next to him, third year starter Antoine Winfield is a guy who Fleck says gives him a lot of confidence. Another guy in his third year, Kiondre Thomas, returns as a starting cornerback. True frosh T-Smith is the only young starter. Senior Antonio Shenault was the extra cornerback on passing downs. Junior Coney Durr seemed to be next cornerback in vs NMSU.

Having the young quarterback taking snaps from a fifth year senior, handing off to a fifth year senior, and having his left tackle a fifth year senior has to help matters. Third year guys Schlueter (returning starter), Olson (returning starter), Tyler Johnson (returning starter), and Ko Kieft mean 7 of 11 starters on offense are third year or more.

Second year WR Douglas played some last year. Second year o-lineman Andries and second year WR Chris AutmanBell likely got a lot of quality reps last year as they were both listed on two-deep.

Kicker, punter, snapper, holder, kick returner, punter all 3rd, 4th, and 5th year guys.

Main core of the starting team on the field is not young.

Starting units are an experienced, mature, veteran core of players with an influx of talented young guys filling in and adding depth.

It helps that the defense isn't young...

The two fifth year seniors, Moore and OJ Smith, anchor the line.
Having the redshirt juniors, Silver and Renner backing them up, further adds maturity to the d-line.

Junior Carter Coughlin and redshirt junior Winston DeLattiboudere on the ends add to the experience and age of the d-line. Junior Devers as a back-up adds more age to the d-line group.

Having senior Cashman and juniors Barber and Martin as three main linebackers makes the LB group old and experienced as well. Senior Julian Huff appears to be first backup linebacker in.

Julian's twin brother, senior Jacob Huff, is the veteran leader in the secondary. Next to him, third year starter Antoine Winfield is a guy who Fleck says gives him a lot of confidence. Another guy in his third year, Kiondre Thomas, returns as a starting cornerback. True frosh T-Smith is the only young starter. Senior Antonio Shenault was the extra cornerback on passing downs. Junior Coney Durr seemed to be next cornerback in vs NMSU.

Having the young quarterback taking snaps from a fifth year senior, handing off to a fifth year senior, and having his left tackle a fifth year senior has to help matters. Third year guys Schlueter (returning starter), Olson (returning starter), Tyler Johnson (returning starter), and Ko Kieft mean 7 of 11 starters on offense are third year or more.

Second year WR Douglas played some last year. Second year o-lineman Andries and second year WR Chris AutmanBell likely got a lot of quality reps last year as they were both listed on two-deep.

Kicker, punter, snapper, holder, kick returner, punter all 3rd, 4th, and 5th year guys.

Main core of the starting team on the field is not young.

Starting units are an experienced, mature, veteran core of players with an influx of talented young guys filling in and adding depth.

Are you calling PJ Fleck a liar?

I’d say that’s what they’d like to do but I’d put big money on Fresno loading the box to stop smith to make ZA beat them. And I don’t think we have the hogs on the line that can just push them back to make the run game dominate without the top being pulled off

I really like Gophs chances if they try to take that approach.

I really like Gophs chances if they try to take that approach.

I’m optimistic as well but will have to see if our WRs can win the 1 on 1s against a much more legit secondary. To me that will tell the tale on Saturday more than anything

Top Bottom