Fleck hinted that the Gophers might even use Winfield on offense

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Randy:

Coach P.J. Fleck hinted that the Gophers might even use Winfield on offense. That piqued offensive coordinator Kirk Ciarrocca’s interest.

“It’s something that we’re thinking about, or I should say, something I’m dreaming about,’’ Ciarrocca said, laughing. “He’s really a dynamic young man.’’

Said defensive coordinator Robb Smith, “Everybody wants him. … Right now, we’re fortunate to have him as a stalwart of our secondary.’’

Seeing time on offense would be fine with Winfield, too. “I’d love to do it,’’ he said. “I love scoring. That would be great.’’

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...ed-over-highlight-reel-punt-return/492523461/

Go Gophers!!

Even if they just put Winfield out there as a decoy of sorts, he will demand respect. I bet we see it a few times. Might not ever touch the ball, but would be interesting if he did.

From what we saw last week he should be our starting RB.

Antoine Winfield Jr has 4.33 speed if my memory serves me right. He wanted to play for tOSU his dad's alma mater, but I think they considered him too small at 5' 10" and did not get an offer.

Lucky for the Gophers to have him! I am still unhappy that the Gophers could not convince JD Spielman to stay home.

A combination of Seth Green, Antoine Winfield Jr, and the backup running backs should be spelling Rodney at tailback.

A combination of Seth Green, Antoine Winfield Jr, and the backup running backs should be spelling Rodney at tailback.

Our best defensive player should not be playing at tailback period, let alone when he has little to no experience at the position at any level. It's a really stupid idea.

per Randy:

Coach P.J. Fleck hinted that the Gophers might even use Winfield on offense. That piqued offensive coordinator Kirk Ciarrocca’s interest.

“It’s something that we’re thinking about, or I should say, something I’m dreaming about,’’ Ciarrocca said, laughing. “He’s really a dynamic young man.’’

Said defensive coordinator Robb Smith, “Everybody wants him. … Right now, we’re fortunate to have him as a stalwart of our secondary.’’

Seeing time on offense would be fine with Winfield, too. “I’d love to do it,’’ he said. “I love scoring. That would be great.’’

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...ed-over-highlight-reel-punt-return/492523461/

Go Gophers!!

Now this is what you could really call 'Gamesmanship". Get your opponents concentrating on things that might never happen.

Our best defensive player should not be playing at tailback period, let alone when he has little to no experience at the position at any level. It's a really stupid idea.
Jabril Peppers did it for Michigan. Perhaps he had more experience out of high school.
I wouldn't be opposed to this. Why the strong opinion against the move?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jabril Peppers did it for Michigan. Perhaps he had more experience out of high school.
I wouldn't be opposed to this. Why the strong opinion against the move?

Peppers carried the ball 373 times for 3,059 yards and 43 touchdown and also hauled in 57 receptions for 842 yards and 17 touchdowns during his HS career. Winfield's Gophers bio doesn't mention any offensive stats from HS - did he play even a single snap on offense in HS? Houston would know - he should post and tell us.

Aside from the near-total (or complete) lack of experience at the position, we have absolutely no depth at safety. We would be completely screwed on defense (to put it mildly) if Winfield got hurt on a carry as a tailback. This same risk exists on punt returns, but he is one of our better options there and has experience playing it. We have one of the Big Ten's best running backs and serviceable depth behind him. Ibrahim, Williams, Edmonds, Femi-Cole, Green, and London are all better options and as an additional benefit are not the best player on the team at a position with no depth.

It simply does not make sense from any angle and would be a reckless decision.

Last edited:

If Winfield shows up on offense, it will be in some type of "gadget" situation - most likely as a receiver or wingback. Odd are he would get the ball on some kind of a reverse, bubble screen, or throw-back play.

I don't see him just lining up and running regular plays as a RB.

Has there been any talk of Winfield taking over the kicking or punting duties?

If Winfield shows up on offense, it will be in some type of "gadget" situation - most likely as a receiver or wingback. Odd are he would get the ball on some kind of a reverse, bubble screen, or throw-back play.

I don't see him just lining up and running regular plays as a RB.

Agree. Players like him, you put in positions like the slot and let them operate in space.

jet sweeps could be interesting even if it is a decoy for Smith to run up the middle keeps the defense thinking and allows options

I agree with DPO. You start asking him to do offense, punt return, defense and chances of injury inch up even higher. It doesn’t seem worth it when we have untested depth, unless the coaches think the RB and WR options aren’t athletic enough which is sort of worrisome.

Keep him as fresh and healthy as possible for the defense.

I agree with DPO. You start asking him to do offense, punt return, defense and chances of injury inch up even higher. It doesn’t seem worth it when we have untested depth, unless the coaches think the RB and WR options aren’t athletic enough which is sort of worrisome.

Some players are gamers and you need to use them as much as possible. Winfield is a special player and if the offense can create matchup problems for our opponent, than let him play. You can’t manage your team by being afraid play people.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If it’s just a gadget play here or there then minimal issue with it but if not the captain he’s the co-captain of the defense. Considering the presence of Smith, TJ, Bateman and the others it seems like an indulgent move. We finally appear to have some game breakers. Our defense is hanging by a thread.

I would have been 100% in agreement but I felt the same way about his punt return duties...then came the TD. Now I'm about 75% in agreement with you and dpo.

I would have been 100% in agreement but I felt the same way about his punt return duties...then came the TD. Now I'm about 75% in agreement with you and dpo.

For the record, I fully support using Winfield on special teams and for a rare gadget play on offense - jet sweep, fake reverse, etc. The idea of lining him up at tailback, let alone using him to "spell" Smith (implying multiple carries in a conventional tailback role) is asinine.

NO MORE JET SWEEPS!

I don't think we ran one last week right?

Lets keep that streak alive.

Top Bottom