The PJ Fleck Show on KMSP Fox 9 is on at 8:00 PM tonight

hungan1

Reaction score
Just a note let everyone know the show is on in twelve minutes!

CORRECTION: FOX9+ NEWS CHANNEL 10.

It's on again at 10:30pm on Channel 9.

My take on this is that PJ Fleck's grant scheme to rebuild the program is taking fruition with more of the talented building blocks now coming to bear. I like what he implied about developing quality depth.

All the stuff has been rehashed over and over before. Zack Annexstad been confident, poise, and a real leader. Antoine Winfield's TD return, Seth Green adding another wrinkle in their arsenal. He talked about how pleased he is with the development of the WRs, How valuable Rodney Smith
is to the team and his unselfishness in helping and teaching the other RBs, etc...

Again, he reiterated the praise of Coach Tedford in the fastest turn around in college football last year taking a 1-11 team to 10-4 last season. He is one of the best coaches in college football around. You cannot sleep on Fresno State, etc...

He is addressing every single facet of the football team through targeted recruiting. It is looking like his vision is coming to focus. It will be a challenge because the rest of the B1G West teams with the exception of Illinois are also improving.

Last edited:

Nice summary.

Coach seems to like what he's seeing...doesn't seem surprised either.

No promises is the mantra other than long term improvement...mainly due to recruiting better talent.

That's the plan until he's done here...next year, four years from now, or after the statue is built or he's burned in effigy (which is a Minnesota "tradition").

I prefer the statue myself.

Liked the show. Good pace and kept me engaged.

Is this available on the web anywhere for us non-local people?

GWG it looks like KMSP-9 posts them as they come up on their "Gophers" page. Here's the link:

http://www.fox9.com/gophers

Last night was Episode 2 so it's not up yet. Episode 1 is up at the link. Have to monitor when #2 gets posted.

I think last night was better than the first one, but some people like these shows and other don't.

Also, thanks for the free but certainly credentialed weather forecast for Saturday...

If you watch his post game pressers and listen to his Tuesday show, it gets to be much of the same stuff.
Last year on the PJ Fleck show they often brought on player guests for a segment to talk about things as well.

Last year they did it from TCF Bank Stadium with a live audience.
Yesterday they recorded from Athlete's Village indoor football complex.
Not sure if that's a one time change or if it will continue there for the remainder of the season.

On a side note, this team already looks to be far different than last year.
Last year you would watch for the debate between Rhoda and Croft to see who the better QB would be, and you would watch for TJ to catch balls, and us run up the middle. And that was pretty much it the rest of the season.

This year we have a wildcat QB on short yardage. ZA at QB who looks the part of a college QB at least.
A real playmaker in Winfield on defense healthy.
TJ plus 3 more WR's who are all exciting to watch.

A couple O-lineman now who might be NFL caliber in Green and Andries.

Although Coach did mention "400-level" classes again in Episode 2...

You can also query "PJ Fleck Show" on Youtube. Season 2, Episode 1 is there. Keep checking to see if they have loaded Episode 2 later.

Last edited:

Also check Gophersports.com Football page regularly.

Moderators, is there a way that Episodes of the PJ Fleck Show can be loaded in the Gopherhole Articles & News Section, GH Front Page for the benefit of out of town Gopher fans?

I don't know if there are permissions required from FOX 9.

He is addressing every single facet of the football team through targeted recruiting. It is looking like his vision is coming to focus. It will be a challenge because the rest of the B1G West teams with the exception of Illinois are also improving.

This is a very, very crucial point for people to understand.

You have:
- Iowa doing it's regular thing, which means top 25-ish team usually, and now and then a top 10-ish team (sometimes higher ranked than that, ie 2015)
- Wisconsin legit top 10-ish maybe even top 5-ish, right now, rolling
- Fitzgerald doing a great job at NW, and now with new facilities that rival the quality of Gophers new facilities

- Nebraska with Frost, time will tell, but he is supposed to make this program rival Wisconsin every year for who goes to the Big Ten champ game
- Purdue with Brohm, supposed to be turning this program around at the same level as Fleck

- Illinois struggling under Lovie, but they have the same potential/foundation in place as everyone else in the West. All they need to do is hire the right coach ... if they listen to me, it will be a hot winning coach from the MAC/CUSA type level, we'll see

And by the way, you have Iowa St that is experiencing a revival too, under Matt Campbell. Breakthrough last year, let's see what happens this year. They compete with us for some recruits too.

All that adds up, that Fleck could have remarkably improved this team from the 2017 season, yet the win/loss record might not necessarily reflect that.

Overall, there is a big difference in the mood of the show this year over last year. Last year was filled with drama, some doubts, and uncertainties.

It helped that PJ Fleck cleaned house. For the team to be better, they had to rebuild as quickly as possible through recruiting.

This year the show so far is more upbeat focusing on positives about the team, its challenges, and the promise that this football team is working harder and smarter to get better. There are no false promises.

I like the idea of what he is selling to the players. It is okay to fail to succeed. A couple of big thing that can easily be missed in all his communications to the media and the public:

1. He wants the team to have fun, and play loose.
2. He wants the team leaders to hone in their on field (and off field) leadership skills. The moment that the players are coaching one another more, calling the shots, with the coach less involved - "that's how you build a winning team" (or something close to this he said). It is the players who have to play the game. Build leadership at every level.

You look at Wisconsin and other winning programs. Next man up works, because they have a system that works with great team depth and player leadership. You get the idea that there is truth to this.

You have:
- Iowa doing it's regular thing, which means top 25-ish team usually, and now and then a top 10-ish team (sometimes higher ranked than that, ie 2015)

I wouldn't go that far. In the 19 years that Ferentz has been there, they've finished ranked in the top 25 a total of six times, and only once since 2009.

They did, however, have three straight top 10 finishes in 2002, 2003, and 2004, which was quite an accomplishment.

I wouldn't go that far. In the 19 years that Ferentz has been there, they've finished ranked in the top 25 a total of six times, and only once since 2009.

They did, however, have three straight top 10 finishes in 2002, 2003, and 2004, which was quite an accomplishment.

You don't have to do this research for me, but would be interesting to know how many times they at least received votes in the end season AP top 25 over that same period.

Did Ozzy&Ray tune in ?

This year we have a wildcat QB on short yardage.

Let me preface this with saying that I am generally not a big believer in the wildcat formation. This isn't meant as a rip on Seth Green or the Gophers, but I'm skeptical that the wildcat formation will continue to do much for us. I think now that teams have seen it and know what might come from it, it won't be as effective, especially against teams with better athleticism than us.

I do think in general we should have a much better offense this year though - mostly due to upgrades at QB and WR.

Let me preface this with saying that I am generally not a big believer in the wildcat formation. This isn't meant as a rip on Seth Green or the Gophers, but I'm skeptical that the wildcat formation will continue to do much for us. I think now that teams have seen it and know what might come from it, it won't be as effective, especially against teams with better athleticism than us.

I do think in general we should have a much better offense this year though - mostly due to upgrades at QB and WR.

Hmm, I don't know... Seth has a good arm too though. Might be tough to defend this in short yardage situations.

You are assuming they will just keep running it up the middle with Seth Green in the wild cat. I doubt that is the case. Having an ex QB running the wild cat opens up a lot more options than say a WR or RB running it like most teams. Plus Green is big enough all he has to do is fall forward in short yardage situations, it is a really creative move by the staff and if their only goal was to RUTM out of it they would not have broke it out in game 1 when they didn't need to.

You are assuming they will just keep running it up the middle with Seth Green in the wild cat. I doubt that is the case. Having an ex QB running the wild cat opens up a lot more options than say a WR or RB running it like most teams. Plus Green is big enough all he has to do is fall forward in short yardage situations, it is a really creative move by the staff and if their only goal was to RUTM out of it they would not have broke it out in game 1 when they didn't need to.

Agreed.

Or you can do what the Eagles did last night, or something to that effect, where you have Seth Green run with the ball and then throw to ZA, or have ZA take the ball on a handoff and then throw back to Seth Green. Etc. Lot of possibilities.

Agreed.

Or you can do what the Eagles did last night, or something to that effect, where you have Seth Green run with the ball and then throw to ZA, or have ZA take the ball on a handoff and then throw back to Seth Green. Etc. Lot of possibilities.
I hope not...

I think a lot of us have nightmares when Gray was playing WR and we'd put him at QB only to RUTM

Top Bottom