After many moves, Gophers’ Seth Green at home in Wildcat formation - TwinCities.com

Iceland12

Reaction score
Green was highly recruited when he transferred from East Ridge High School to Allen, Texas, for his senior season. He gave an oral commitment to Oregon before switching to the Gophers.

At the U, he said he had reservations for a year after the head-coaching switch from Tracy Claeys to P.J. Fleck. He arrived in Dinkytown as a quarterback before moving to tight end during spring practice and eventually to receiver this fall.

The redshirt sophomore’s touchdown on Thursday, however, came in the Wildcat formation, where he and quarterback Zack Annexstad switched spots. Green took the snap, followed his blocks and zeroed in on the goal line, where he bowled over former Gophers cornerback Ray Buford to score.

Green backed it up with a 3-yard touchdown run later in the second quarter. His new role in the Minnesota offense will be something Fresno State (1-0) must prepare to see again from the Gophers (1-0) in their game at 6:30 p.m. Saturday at TCF Bank Stadium.

“Seeing all that hard work pay off was definitely joyful,” Green said Wednesday of his TDs. “It helped give me promise that if I keep working and keep on the grind, all that will come together for good, if you keep doing the right things.”..

https://www.twincities.com/2018/09/...hers-seth-green-at-home-in-wildcat-formation/

That got the attention of other BIG schools more than anything from that game. Just wait till he throws a quick slant for a TD!!

Wait until you see that formation on the 50

That got the attention of other BIG schools more than anything from that game. Just wait till he throws a quick slant for a TD!!

Agree. Or, one of those old Tebow plays from U of Florida days. Would love to see Seth Green become a bigger and bigger factor on this team.

Really happy for him. He's worked hard at making the switch from QB to TE to WR and is deserving of all the praise he has been getting lately.
My big question is why didn't this get worked in last year?

Established him as a triple threat every time he steps on the field...Fleck and Co will have fun with it.

Our offense has seemed so vanilla and predictable, I really like this new experimentation.

Our offense has seemed so vanilla and predictable, I really like this new experimentation.

Other than the wildcat, last week was a slimmer version of what Fleck ran at WMU. I expect they'll open it up more the next two weeks.

Really happy for him. He's worked hard at making the switch from QB to TE to WR and is deserving of all the praise he has been getting lately.

Well, that's a good question. Don't think we are ever going to know the real answer. He must be a strong kid mentally. Hope he has continued success.

I love this. My biggest gripe with the wildcat is that it is usually QBd by someone everybody knows will not pass the ball. Seems really stupid to me. Not the case with Seth, as he can throw. What is great about this is that they can give him very limited pass plays/options that he can really nail down in practice. He is clearly a great athlete and a powerful runner. I hope we see this more often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it was part reflection of talent. When no WR's get open, no point in throwing the ball, and we didn't have QB that could throw people open

Don't get me wrong I do like having Seth Green in while running the Wildcat, and I'm glad we have found a way to utilize him, but why is everyone acting like this is the greatest thing that has happened to gopher football in the last 10 years? We punched it in twice from a combined 12 yards out against New Mexico State. I think we can expand on it but I think we are getting a little excited about this formation and Green, who I do think can do some good things on O.

Don't get me wrong I do like having Seth Green in while running the Wildcat, and I'm glad we have found a way to utilize him, but why is everyone acting like this is the greatest thing that has happened to gopher football in the last 10 years? We punched it in twice from a combined 12 yards out against New Mexico State. I think we can expand on it but I think we are getting a little excited about this formation and Green, who I do think can do some good things on O.

Stop.

Well, that's a good question. Don't think we are ever going to know the real answer. He must be a strong kid mentally. Hope he has continued success.

I think the other thing is that the team was struggling to learn the base offense last year, so the last thing Fleck wanted to do was distract them with an entirely different scheme that had limited usage.

They don't want to do a Jedd Fisch 8000 page playbook that nobody knows or understands.

Now that the players understand the base, they can keep expanding it.

I agree. We spent four years watching Mitch Leidner score running TDs from ten yards out, and now we're ****ing our pants because Seth Green did it twice.

It's a nice role for him. I'm sure he's excited that he touched the ball twice and scored twice, and I'm happy for him too. I hope he can build on that.

You apparently missed the Golden-I. (Some) people absolutely loved that formation.

I'm just happy when the Gophers find ways to score. Ideally I'd like to be able to run when teams know we're going to run and be able to pass when teams know we're going to pass...but I'm never going to be too upset with getting playmakers the ball. I hope they continue to build off of this and have other creative ways to get the ball in the hands of their other playmakers.

I think the other thing is that the team was struggling to learn the base offense last year, so the last thing Fleck wanted to do was distract them with an entirely different scheme that had limited usage.

They don't want to do a Jedd Fisch 8000 page playbook that nobody knows or understands.

Now that the players understand the base, they can keep expanding it.

But, in fact, they did run this formation against Michigan last year. Albeit not with Green involved, which leads us back to GFBfan's question. Which I'm assuming he meant with Green being part of it.

Last edited:

But, in fact, they did run this formation against Michigan last year. Albeit not with Green involved, which leads us back to GFBfan's question. Which I'm assuming he meant with Green being part of it.

Correct. It’s not like Green was True FR last year and they didn’t know what he could do. His skill set at QB is suited to that type of play more so than any QB on the roster last year or this. Everyone on Who follows the Gophers knew that and so did the previous and this coaching staff, yet they were unable to think of this last year doesn’t make sense. Glad that they finally figured it out though and can utilize it on occasion as a different look to keep the defense off balance.

Correct. It’s not like Green was True FR last year and they didn’t know what he could do. His skill set at QB is suited to that type of play more so than any QB on the roster last year or this. Everyone on Who follows the Gophers knew that and so did the previous and this coaching staff, yet they were unable to think of this last year doesn’t make sense. Glad that they finally figured it out though and can utilize it on occasion as a different look to keep the defense off balance.

I highly doubt 'they didn't think of it'. Maybe they were just trying to figure out what they had with Green, and many other players last year and didn't feel comfortable having him run it.

Do you think we could line Seth up as a half back and run read option with another option of him passing the ball? Remember Auburn's offense from a few years ago when they would run a read option QB keeper and the WR would stay around the line of scrimmage? It was a triple option basically. Well, let's create our own with Seth also being able to pass. It sounds so complex we could even confuse ourselves, but not like Gopherhole makes sense anyways.

I highly doubt 'they didn't think of it'. Maybe they were just trying to figure out what they had with Green, and many other players last year and didn't feel comfortable having him run it.

Considering how bad the offense looked at times last year, I don't see why they wouldn't have been comfortable running it. To quote Herm Edwards, "you play to win the game" and you should be doing whatever you can each and every week to do that, not just do what is comfortable. They blew it last year in not implementing it. Good thing is that is in the past and they have now started to use it. Look forward to see what new wrinkles they add to that package as the year goes on.

Considering how bad the offense looked at times last year, I don't see why they wouldn't have been comfortable running it. To quote Herm Edwards, "you play to win the game" and you should be doing whatever you can each and every week to do that, not just do what is comfortable. They blew it last year in not implementing it. Good thing is that is in the past and they have now started to use it. Look forward to see what new wrinkles they add to that package as the year goes on.

You do what's comfortable when you have a brand new coaching staff and players they didn't recruit. It worked for 2 plays against a terrible team. I'll wait and see if it works against a good team.

You do what's comfortable when you have a brand new coaching staff and players they didn't recruit. It worked for 2 plays against a terrible team. I'll wait and see if it works against a good team.

Sorry but that’s a cop out and a lame excuse. You use the players abilities that you have on the roster regardless of if you recruited them or not.

Sorry but that’s a cop out and a lame excuse. You use the players abilities that you have on the roster regardless of if you recruited them or not.

And as last year proved out, there wasn't a lot of ability on the offensive side of the ball

Okay I was wrong...opened my mouth and then we ran the wildcat effectively last night, and it was really a crucial part of our offense

Do you think we could line Seth up as a half back and run read option with another option of him passing the ball? Remember Auburn's offense from a few years ago when they would run a read option QB keeper and the WR would stay around the line of scrimmage? It was a triple option basically. Well, let's create our own with Seth also being able to pass. It sounds so complex we could even confuse ourselves, but not like Gopherhole makes sense anyways.

I'd be very surprised if Green doesn't pass now and then. Catch them by surprise.

Top Bottom