Bought a ticket for Nebraska's canceled game? Too bad, no refund - Strib

Iceland12

Reaction score
We have trouble getting 40k plus into the stadium and have "fans" telling other "fans" that if you're not 100% behind everything "we don't need you!"

Nebraska? They may be telling people who had tickets to last Saturday's cancelled game against Akron to pound sand.

"Weather delays — and more extremely, cancellations — are more common in some sports than others. MLB teams generally have a handful of games delayed or postponed by weather every season, for instance. And in those cases, fans get something approaching equivalent value for the ticket to the game they didn’t get to see.

Nebraska college football, however, might not deal with such things very often. But the Cornhuskers did Saturday, when lightning in Lincoln immediately after the start of the game forced the delay and eventual postponement of head coach Scott Frost’s debut against Akron...

If you had a ticket for the game that was never played (beyond the opening kickoff), the news is extra bad. Per ESPN.com’s story: “No refunds will be issued for game tickets, many of which were sold on the secondary market for well above face value as the scheduled opener was to mark the anticipated coaching debut at Nebraska of Scott Frost.”..

http://www.startribune.com/bought-a-ticket-for-nebraskas-canceled-game-too-bad-no-refund/492416221/

Last edited:

Let's consider the other side of the story. There are a lot of people that felt guilty at selling their tickets for a fat profit because they wanted to go but couldn't turn down the extra cash. Those folks are feeling really good about things right now...

I could see ticket brokers offering ticket insurance. It would be rare for them to actually have to pay out.

Accountingwise, it would have been a non-deductible entertainment expense if the game took place. Since no product or service was received for the money, it is now a donation.

Unless I'm mistaken, I thought I read that they actually loaded up the stadium with fans and held a kickoff before the weather got too bad and they called it off. If true, that would mean they did get a service - entrance to the stadium and one play of football. How would it be handled accounting-wise if they did receive a service, just a different service than the one they paid for?

Unless I'm mistaken, I thought I read that they actually loaded up the stadium with fans and held a kickoff before the weather got too bad and they called it off. If true, that would mean they did get a service - entrance to the stadium and one play of football. How would it be handled accounting-wise if they did receive a service, just a different service than the one they paid for?

I would call one play de minimus and not counted. Admission is also in that category. JMO as an accountant. I have no guidance from the IRS on that.

This at a minimum horrible customer service, but doesn't seem legal. Nebraska can probably get away with it though.

Don't let the U see this, they might start charging per play.

Since they are about 90% toward a replacement game and/or reschedule, this is a moot point. That’s why no refund.

I belive they told fans to hold on to their tickets.

I'm not sure this story is over yet...

Wonder what Iowa State is gonna do?

The UCF at North Carolina and West Virginia at North Carolina State games scheduled for this weekend have been cancelled because of Hurricane Florence.

Nebraska has an open date on October 27th. The week after they play the Gophers. UCF also has an open date on October 27th.

Nebraska writing a big check to the University of Central Florida to come in at take a shot at their former, and most successful Head Coach?

Lincoln and Orlando get this done!

The UCF at North Carolina and West Virginia at North Carolina State games scheduled for this weekend have been cancelled because of Hurricane Florence.

Nebraska has an open date on October 27th. The week after they play the Gophers. UCF also has an open date on October 27th.

Nebraska writing a big check to the University of Central Florida to come in at take a shot at their former, and most successful Head Coach?

Lincoln and Orlando get this done!

Nebraska would be too chicken

There is going to be a lot of game cancellations from the slow moving hurricane. How will this impact Nebraska's make up game? We don't know if the storm will track South Carolina, Georgia, and Alabama.

There may be an awful lot of game cancellations this weekend.

Last edited:

They should just move all the games getting canceled up to TCF... no hurricanes up here!

Yea, let's get the $800K that Mega Tongue gave away by cancelling the two game series against North Carolina. Kill did not want to face a tough opponent during rebuilding. What did MT do? He scheduled a game against a much tougher TCU to the ire of Jerry Kill. Smart move. There was a disconnect between Mega Tongue and Jerry Kill. Woody wanted to make up by scheduling an even tougher opponent without the knowledge of Kill and Patterson.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/gophers-cancel-games-north-carolina-800k

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/u-makes-money-on-carolina-tcu-swap/

Last edited:

Yea, let's get the $800K that Mega Tongue gave away by cancelling the two game series against North Carolina. Kill does not want to face a tough opponent during rebuilding. What did MT do? He schedules a game against a much tougher TCU to the ire of Jerry Kill. Smart move. There was a disconnect between Mega Tongue and Jerry Kill. Woody wanted to make up by scheduling an even tougher opponent without the knowledge of Kill and Patterson.

Interesting that Kill wasn't on board with that.
Good for Teague to make money in the deal.

What bothers me about these schedule of course is that people worry so much about playing these games, meanwhile, by the time the game comes around you have no idea how good that team might be. Especially a team like UNC.

Those North Carolina teams finished 7-6 and 6-7 those two years with their most impressive win over a Duke team that was ranked 25th.
I don't think we should ever be worried about playing a team that might be ranked 25th in the nation.

Yea, let's get the $800K that Mega Tongue gave away by cancelling the two game series against North Carolina. Kill does not want to face a tough opponent during rebuilding. What did MT do? He schedules a game against a much tougher TCU to the ire of Jerry Kill. Smart move. There was a disconnect between Mega Tongue and Jerry Kill. Woody wanted to make up by scheduling an even tougher opponent without the knowledge of Kill and Patterson.

Word had it Jerry had no substantial contact with Mega Tounge, everything went through Dan at that time. That's not necessarily a bad thing, IMO there are a lot of different AD types you can have, if one is more about raising funds or administrative... that can work. Others can be more directly interested in a program, and that can work.

Jerry was all about cupcakes, that's not bad, they're trying to build up a program and always get tough games anyway.... also Jerry got paid bonuses on a per win basis....

Could it be Jerry Kill does not like Mega Tongue's extra curricular activities being a solid country gentleman that he is?

Could it be Jerry Kill does not like Mega Tongue's extra curricular activities being a solid country gentleman that he is?

He said he didn't know anything about it.... but of course he said that.

I think Jerry was just used to being King of his Kingdom and it was best they both just stay in their territory ;)

Top Bottom