East River Flats tailgating

WilliamsArenaGuy

Reaction score
Can you still park and tailgate in the East River Flats. It used to be $10 and no pass needed. I don’t see any confirmation online though. I hope it hasn’t changed. Thanks in advance. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its fantastic. Almost unlimited space for any games or cooking setups you want. Feel free to come say hi if you are there, I'll be in khaki shorts and a ratty old number 7 Gopher jersey.

That's where we go a lot. It's dead for the most part so you loose that atmosphere but if you have a good group it's a blast because there are no lines to the portapotty, room to play catch and spread out. Plus either a beautiful walk through most of the campus or a short train ride you are at the game.

Tis a dead lot, but no problems getting in, and no problems getting out. I have even left my car overnight once... which saved me a DUI

When nature calls, there's ample trees to tinkle on.

Just be careful which patch of trees you head for. I've gotten covered in burrs before which are a pain to get out, and one time I got done with my tinkle just in time for a family of four to park right behind where I was going, and the college-aged daughter buried her face as the dad called out "don't worry, its not as big as you think it is."

It's definitely been quieter down there recently but going back to the TCU game, the river flats get rocking for a good weather well attended game. It dwarfs the other tailgate lots and if it were 1/2 mile or 200' of elevation closer it would probably be THE place to pre game. From a budget standpoint, I still think it is. The one thing it is missing is density. The tailgate lots are wall to wall people tailgating, river flats are just so big that we all tend to spread out.

Doing a google map of it, it doesn't look like a ton of parking spaces.
Maybe 50-60 spots or am I missing something?

Doing a google map of it, it doesn't look like a ton of parking spaces.
Maybe 50-60 spots or am I missing something?

The entire grassy area is parking. Not just the asphalt section. TCU had cars in 4 rows from the Row house to the end.

Its the only spot on campus/in the city with true tailgating. Which to me is first come first serve on a grass lot, the way it should be.

Highly recommend the East River Flats. As others have commented, it lacks the density of a parking lot closer to the stadium, but the only way to fix that is for more people to show up. Would love this spot to get louder, hopefully as game day attendance increases in general.

Can you still park and tailgate in the East River Flats. It used to be $10 and no pass needed. I don’t see any confirmation online though. I hope it hasn’t changed. Thanks in advance. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The U doesn't promote it on its game day information because they view a nice tailgating spot they don't control as a bug rather than a feature.

It's not U property and I believe the $$ goes to the MPLS. Park and Rec Board.

Top Bottom