ESPN: Rick Pitino believes it's unlikely he will return to coaching

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

Almost a year after the FBI investigation into college basketball led to his termination at Louisville, Rick Pitino thinks it's unlikely he will return to coaching at the college level.

In a book released Tuesday entitled "Pitino: My Story," co-written with Seth Kaufman, Pitino writes that "my coaching career is possibly finished."

When asked to expand by ESPN in a wide-ranging interview prior to the book's release, Pitino admitted he doesn't believe he will get a coaching job again.

"There was one job this past year, that I really did want. They called the NCAA and the NCAA said, 'We're handcuffed. The FBI will not allow us to investigate, we can't give you a yes or no on Rick Pitino because we're not allowed to investigate,'" Pitino said. "I'm not really thinking about coaching again in the future because I'm not in control of that. I feel it's over for me."

While also a memoir of his 40-year coaching career, Pitino focused much of the book on three key aspects of the past few years: the 2015 sex scandal, the 2017 FBI investigation into shoe company influence in college basketball, and his eventual termination from Louisville.

He took responsibility for hiring former staffer Andre McGee and assistant Jordan Fair, writing "that the buck stops with me," but also laid much of the blame at the feet of the Southern District of New York, the FBI investigators and the Louisville Board of Trustees.

As Pitino, 65, has done since Katina Powell's book in the fall of 2015, he denied any knowledge of the stripper parties organized by McGee.

"My inquisitors had no evidence I knew about Andre McGee's stripper events because none existed," Pitino wrote. "As I just explained, I had no clue. No one they interviewed said I was complicit in any way. Additionally, they had no evidence that any other employee in my program knew about Andre's antics either. There are probably multiple reasons for that -- starting with the fact Andre knew I would have fired him the moment I learned of a single compliance infraction and ending with the fact that his 'events' reportedly involved potentially criminal acts like prostitution and underage sex."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...new-book-my-coaching-career-possibly-finished

Go Gophers!!

Through it all he is exhausted. I can't imagine starting over at his age.

The guy is either pure and being persecuted, a big time liar, or a sociopath who doesn't know the difference (or doesn't care).

Rick's favorite river is Da' Nile.

Yep. He's as pure as the driven snow (just ask him) while everyone else except him created the Louisville cesspool. Whatever you say slick Rick.

The guy is either pure and being persecuted, a big time liar, or a sociopath who doesn't know the difference (or doesn't care).

Extraordinary coaching ability. Long trail of slime from his days at Hawaii all the way through.

ESPN: Rick Pitino believes it's unlikely he will return to coaching:

Me too..

Heard Rick on Dan Patrick this morning. He comes off as a bit of an @ss. Dan asked him if he would be Richard's assistant. He didn't take the bait.

I don’t think he’s particularly slimy in context. Only difference between him and the other big time coaches like Self, K, Williams, Calipari, etc is he got caught.

Unfortunately the Pitino brand has been severely tarnished and that kind of rubs off on us too. Going to take time for Richard to rebuild that name.

I don’t think he’s particularly slimy in context. Only difference between him and the other big time coaches like Self, K, Williams, Calipari, etc is he got caught.

Unfortunately the Pitino brand has been severely tarnished and that kind of rubs off on us too. Going to take time for Richard to rebuild that name.

Was talking about this with a friend of mine the other day. Richard is an extremely likable guy. But because of his dad, many people (especially at the nation level) view him similarly as his dad.

Top Bottom