Nebraska

Nomellini

Reaction score
Curious about how Nebraska's lost game due to bad weather will affect their performance this Saturday against what might be a pretty good Colorado team. Also, the Nebraska schedule now suggests the missing game will be played at some later date. Wonder how that will work.

Very unlikely they’ll get another opponent on their bye week, but that’s their only hope.

The Nebraska schedule is brutal. They’ll be lucky to win 4 games without a make up date to replace Akron.

Nebraska need to seriously think about buying a hotel close to campus for the specific use of housing a large contingent of visiting teams with specific emphasis on football, and support personnel of opponents.

The consequences are enormous when a game is cancelled.

It is unlikely they'll win a game in the next decade...

Nebraska need to seriously think about buying a hotel close to campus for the specific use of housing a large contingent of visiting teams with specific emphasis on football, and support personnel of opponents.

The consequences are enormous when a game is cancelled.

I'm not sure that all the other teams would necessarily choose to stay in a facility operated by your opponent... they might have concerns.

Very unlikely they’ll get another opponent on their bye week, but that’s their only hope.

The Nebraska schedule is brutal. They’ll be lucky to win 4 games without a make up date to replace Akron.

It's been suggested that Nebraska and Iowa State (two former conference foes who both had games cancelled on Saturday) schedule a game on December 1 at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City. That would be a really interesting game, and would require neither be playing in a conference championship game that day (a reasonable assumption). I have to believe that both schools would prefer to find a patsy if possible, however.

Mark my words: if it means the difference between a bowl game vs no bowl game, Nebraska will pull a 12th game rabbit out of a hat!!

A P5 did that very thing last season I believe, in regards to a cancelled game from a hurricane. Can’t remneber who, but they found someone very last second. Actually think they played the game during the week that conf championship games are played ..

There is some talk that the planned game for Sunday was being worked out, and Akron called and said "nope we're gone bye".

Now the question is, if true, does Neb want to get all litigious about it? Even if there right to be would that impact their ability to make deals in the future?

Why didn't they play Sunday or Monday on Labor Day weekend? The loss of revenue is ridiculously huge. The loss of a game for bowl purposes, progression from game 1 to 2 and building your season is mega consequential. Absolutely needed to find a solution to play M or Tu imo... take the haircut, negotiate a solution, get it done.
And this needs/needed to be in a contract before the game...if we are forced to postpone our game to weather or other circumstances we agree the makeup date will be this or this in this order. We agree to provide the following compensation should this happen. etc. (how can that not already be in place??)

Last edited:

Why didn't they play Sunday or Monday on Labor Day weekend? The loss of revenue is ridiculously huge. The loss of a game for bowl purposes, progression from game 1 to 2 and building your season is mega consequential. Absolutely needed to find a solution to play M or Tu imo... take the haircut, negotiate a solution, get it done.

Word has it Akron didn't have a place to stay ... and made a run to the airport before the Sunday deal was sealed.

Word has it Akron didn't have a place to stay ... and made a run to the airport before the Sunday deal was sealed.

Nebraska administration effed up big time. Can't happen! Gotta have contingencies in place before the game.

Nebraska administration effed up big time. Can't happen! Gotta have contingencies in place before the game.

They probabbly should get a contingency plan in the contract or something.

This should be a lesson to us if we're not doing that already...

There choices were: 1. Having their team spread out at a variety of hotels, 2. Staying in yet to be used dorms, or 3. Staying in a hotel which was logistically too far away from Lincoln. Game was a $1.7 million contract and both parties are in negotiations. They had a chance at a possible 10:30 a.m. Sunday kickoff (FS1Network Decision) but the lodging and potential delay on Sunday (due to potential for storms) were factored in.

I imagine they'll find a way to get a 12th game into the schedule. I agree that in the future, it would be a good idea to have contingency plans in place and to have those plans specified in the contract. If Nebraska is really desperate for a 12th game, I could imagine an FCS team playing hardball and saying "Sure, we'll play you. At our home stadium." :D It's not realistic, sure, but it's funny to imagine.

I suppose Nebraska could book a hotel just in case of emergency. They could get the rooms at a discount because the hotel would be free to rent out the rooms once it was clear they wouldn't be needed, which would be most of the time.

Last edited:

First game cancelled for rain in 100+ years of football for Nebraska. They have an excellent offensive team - a running QB who can pass on the run or in the pocket + great receiving corps and solid runners. The question is defense, since teams will want to run against them to eat the clock and keep their up-tempo offense off the field. They should win five or six of 11, so the extra game may be crucial, which is why they are working on a game for their bye week or the week after regular season ends.

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/footb...cle_7ef5934b-3385-5e68-9cf9-1d6eb19be399.html

Nebraska wanted to play the game Sunday morning and, according to coach Scott Frost, had figured out some kind of accommodation that might have worked. On Sunday, The World-Herald reported that NU was exploring using empty floors in on-campus dorms to house Akron.

“We were scrambling trying to find a place for them to stay,” Frost said at a press conference Monday. “We kind of found a place, but it certainly wouldn’t have been ideal for his team to not know where they’re eating, not know where they’re staying, not know where everybody is.”

Frost said he understood, too, why Akron made that choice and he may have made the same decision if he were Zips coach Terry Bowden.

On the football side, Frost has been here before. For a third straight season, he’s coached a college football team that had a game canceled because of weather. For a second straight season, he faces the possibility of his team losing its bye week to play a makeup game.

But NU is exploring options to play teams on its Oct. 27 bye week if necessary, Frost said.

“Depth is a little bit of an issue for us at certain positions, and it’s certainly not ideal for us,” Frost said. “I know they’re researching and looking at all options, but given the choice, these guys have worked so hard. They deserve to play a full slate of games. So if they give us an option to fill that game in somewhere, we’re going to take it.”

Akron does not have a bye week on Oct. 27. Nebraska would have to find a team whose bye week is Oct. 27 and doesn’t already have 12 regular-season games on its schedule.

One team that does have a bye week Oct. 27 is Liberty, coached by former Husker quarterback Turner Gill. The Flames are now in the FBS division as an independent team. To fill its 12-game schedule, Liberty scheduled another independent team, New Mexico State, twice, on Oct. 6 and Nov. 24. The latter of the two is a Liberty home game.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Also of note:

First game cancelled for rain in 100+ years of football for Nebraska. They have an excellent offensive team - a running QB who can pass on the run or in the pocket + great receiving corps and solid runners. The question is defense, since teams will want to run against them to eat the clock and keep their up-tempo offense off the field. They should win five or six of 11, so the extra game may be crucial, which is why they are working on a game for their bye week or the week after regular season ends.

Times are different. Until recently nobody canceled/postponed/waited for weather to move through to play a football game. Everybody always just played. Now, just recently the Gophers have been in how many weather delay games? In 2018 you need to have plans set up to handle what we do before, during, after games in times of peril. I don't think it's that difficult if you plan ahead for it. Lots of solutions if you figure them out in advance.

What in the contract from the twitter post covers rain or lightning? I don't think Nebraska has hurricanes. The game wasn't canceled for flooding.

Last edited:

Mark my words: if it means the difference between a bowl game vs no bowl game, Nebraska will pull a 12th game rabbit out of a hat!!

A P5 did that very thing last season I believe, in regards to a cancelled game from a hurricane. Can’t remneber who, but they found someone very last second. Actually think they played the game during the week that conf championship games are played ..
Florida State but I believe it was the same opponent

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Nebraska has about 8 teams they can play during their bye week, and about handful if they play during the conference championship week.

I doubt Nebraska wants to play during their bye week, so that limits things. Might cost them $500k+ to get someone to show up after the planned season, but its Nebraska. They should do it.

Florida State but I believe it was the same opponent

Thanks, and you are correct on both.

So this was the thing: they weren't going to play the game against ULM. Then suddenly, they went on a bit of a run at the end of the season, and their season ended at 5-6. So ... they suddenly decided they needed to play another game, because ... reasons. And, they were playing it in the week after the regular season, for all intents and purposes, had ended. It was very shady, IMO.

And possibly, might have kept the Gophs out of a bowl game as a 5-7 high APR qualifier. Could argue all day, round and round, if they deserved it and/or if they would've been selected. Didn't happen.

But was just saying, these high level programs are almost unbounded by rules, in getting whatever they want. If Nebraska is sitting at 5-6 after Thanksgiving weekend game -- if it ends up happening that way, for whatever reason(s) -- they WILL find someone to play during the weekend of the Big Ten championship game, when they "shouldn't" be allowed to play another game, in my worthless opinion.

Couldn’t fault them for leaving. There was no reasonable accommodation. You have to have the team all together for meetings, to make sure everyone is in at curfew, etc. You have to feed and hydrate everyone. To find accommodations late evening and then have to kick off by 9:30 AM Akron time was not reasonable.

Seems pretty clear that the two schools should schedule a game after the currently scheduled season in order to fulfill their contract and play a full slate. It's tough because Friday, November 30 is the MAC Championship game and Saturday, December 1 is the Big Ten Championship game - and presumably neither conference wants games to be taking place outside of those. Schedule it for 11 AM on Saturday, December 8 and give college football fans a Division I game as an appetizer for the Army-Navy game.

Seems pretty clear that the two schools should schedule a game after the currently scheduled season in order to fulfill their contract and play a full slate. It's tough because Friday, November 30 is the MAC Championship game and Saturday, December 1 is the Big Ten Championship game - and presumably neither conference wants games to be taking place outside of those. Schedule it for 11 AM on Saturday, December 8 and give college football fans a Division I game as an appetizer for the Army-Navy game.

In my worthless opinion, teams shouldn't get to have such an option. But the rules probably don't forbid it.

Sounds like you are describing Central Florida. Do we really want to use excellent and great to describe them at this point? I think I will wait till they play a game.

Couldn’t fault them for leaving. There was no reasonable accommodation. You have to have the team all together for meetings, to make sure everyone is in at curfew, etc. You have to feed and hydrate everyone. To find accommodations late evening and then have to kick off by 9:30 AM Akron time was not reasonable.

Yeah i'm not sure I blame them either. Gotta move on with everyone's lives and stick to your schedule until you know something else is up. Can't hang out and wait for Neb to scramble.

Thanks, and you are correct on both.

So this was the thing: they weren't going to play the game against ULM. Then suddenly, they went on a bit of a run at the end of the season, and their season ended at 5-6. So ... they suddenly decided they needed to play another game, because ... reasons. And, they were playing it in the week after the regular season, for all intents and purposes, had ended. It was very shady, IMO.

And possibly, might have kept the Gophs out of a bowl game as a 5-7 high APR qualifier. Could argue all day, round and round, if they deserved it and/or if they would've been selected. Didn't happen.

But was just saying, these high level programs are almost unbounded by rules, in getting whatever they want. If Nebraska is sitting at 5-6 after Thanksgiving weekend game -- if it ends up happening that way, for whatever reason(s) -- they WILL find someone to play during the weekend of the Big Ten championship game, when they "shouldn't" be allowed to play another game, in my worthless opinion.

To be fair, the announcement of the rescheduled game between FSU and ULM was made on Nov 7. FSU was 3-5 at the time. They did not wait until the completion of their regular season to add a make-up game. I personally don't have a problem with it.

Top Bottom