Nice Job Baker Mayfield, Nice Job Coach Fleck!

Iceland12

Reaction score
The Gophers football team was preparing to do yoga on the eve of the season opener last week when a special phone call came in for starting quarterback Zack Annexstad.

Baker Mayfield was on the line.

The Heisman Trophy winner and the Cleveland Browns’ No. 1 pick in the 2018 NFL draft spoke to Annexstad for 15 to 20 minutes....

“It was good for Zack to hear from him because people had mentioned him,” Gophers coach P.J. Fleck said Monday. “Any time you can get advice from a guy who has been through what you’ve been through — it was a good moment for him to start his career.”

Annextstad had a succinct response to his coach about the call: “ ‘That was cool.’ ”

Fleck had met Mayfield at a few college football awards banquets over the years and set up the call to Fleck’s phone.

“I’m very appreciative of Baker doing that,” Fleck said. “It says a lot about Baker Mayfield, too.”

Annexstad’s label as a walk-on isn’t a traditional one because he turned down scholarships to Illinois, Cincinnati and others. The Noresland, Minn., native wanted to play for his home-state school, but while he’s the starting QB, he will remain a walk-on until next year, Fleck said...

https://www.twincities.com/2018/09/...ting-quarterback-zack-annexstad-before-debut/

Fleck continues to create special Gopher moments for the team. Awesome job, Coach!

Very cool. Fleck has a knack for making special moments with individual players.

Cool.
Fleck is always working different avenues connecting people and experiences.

Awesome job.

Everything I've seen on Hard Knocks, is that Baker is an awesome guy, great player, and will eventually lead the Browns back into contention and being able to defeat arch-rival Steelers. I'm rooting for him, and them. Like their head coach too! (don't care for either coordinator)

Except when they play the Vikings :cool:

Top Bottom