What they are saying about the Gophers on the Fresno State Bark Board

Win or lose, Fresno St plays UCLA the week after us, so that will provide some context.

Weather looks beautiful.

Curious to watch the game. Not really too worried as I don’t think this is a great gopher team and I don’t think Fleck is banking on it being one.

The Fresno Defense is pretty complex as it morphs from a 4-3 to a 3-4 to a 2-5. The back 7 all return and expect them to challenge ZA with looks he won’t have seen on film. They have all talked about taking the D to the next level and being better at disguising coverages. ZA may do very well but they will test his ability to diagnose a defense.

I think this is where how Fleck runs the RPO will really pay off. I expect to see much more pre-snap movement from Gophs to expose the mismatches for Zack.

This will be our toughest non-conference game since the 2015 TCU game. We should learn a few things about this team this week.

This will be our toughest non-conference game since the 2015 TCU game. We should learn a few things about this team this week.

Yep, though TCU was the #2 team in the nation back then. Fresno State got 1 vote in the A.P. Tying them for 43rd with Arkansas State. The Bulldogs did get 7 votes in the Coaches Poll putting them at #40.

Gophers do have BYU coming-up in 2020 and Colorado in 2021 and 2022.

This may be my favorite post from over there:

"Oh god...please don’t use Gopherhole as a frame of reference (headslap)

Over on our 247 Board we definitely respect FS but a mix of homefield/P5/homerism have most predicting a close/pretty close win. We’re all also riding a bit of a high as our QB/WR play was abysmal last year and we showed some competency in that regard against NMSU. Our walk-on freshman threw for more yards on Thursday (220) than our previous starter threw in his final three starts. (swirl)"

Not really too worried as I don’t think this is a great gopher team and I don’t think Fleck is banking on it being one.

You should listen to Fleck's comments yesterday. He is starting to drop the overly aggressive we're young, we're building for 2020, we're learning the culture schtick and now acknowledging that we have a good team.

You should listen to Fleck's comments yesterday. He is starting to drop the overly aggressive we're young, we're building for 2020, we're learning the culture schtick and now acknowledging that we have a good team.

we'll be an improved team this year. I'm not 100% sure our record will reflect that, but I think we're trending up

Over on our 247 Board we definitely respect FS but a mix of homefield/P5/homerism have most predicting a close/pretty close win. We’re all also riding a bit of a high as our QB/WR play was abysmal last year and we showed some competency in that regard against NMSU. Our walk-on freshman threw for more yards on Thursday (220) than our previous starter threw in his final three starts. (swirl)"

They're bigger and faster than us. We have no chance

I said great team. I don't think this team isn't going 9-3 or 10-2 and making a significant bowl, unless I'm really missing something.

Obviously I want the Gophers to win. I'll sit in my living room and yell at the TV for 3ish hours. But a loss here isn't devastating because I think Fresno is as good as or better than the Gophers and that the pieces are in place for a really good team in the next few years.

Surprised no one on here is worried about PJ leaving if they are too good this year

I said great team. I don't think this team isn't going 9-3 or 10-2 and making a significant bowl, unless I'm really missing something.

Obviously I want the Gophers to win. I'll sit in my living room and yell at the TV for 3ish hours. But a loss here isn't devastating because I think Fresno is as good as or better than the Gophers and that the pieces are in place for a really good team in the next few years.

Surprised no one on here is worried about PJ leaving if they are too good this year

Oh, they are...just doing it by tapping down expectations in the hope that they don't have too good of a year. One way or another, he's not going anywhere for a while.

There is constant paranoia of gophers having their coach poached, despite only recall it happening with Lou Holtz, I think our womens bball coach was poached

The 247 guys routinely sprain their wrists patting themselves on the back for not posting here but then come up with gems like the above. Sure, playing NMSU is analogous to playing Wisconsin and Northwestern and Michigan and XYZ.

Have you read the 2020 recruiting thread lately?

Yep, though TCU was the #2 team in the nation back then. Fresno State got 1 vote in the A.P. Tying them for 43rd with Arkansas State. The Bulldogs did get 7 votes in the Coaches Poll putting them at #40.

Gophers do have BYU coming-up in 2020 and Colorado in 2021 and 2022.
This kinda reminds me of the Colorado State game following the TCU game, I think they wound up underachieving, but they were suppose to be a good team, coming off a big year

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Most Bulldogs Fans are Confident of a Possible Blowout

Many Bulldog fans are confidently predicting a blowout. This game can quickly turn on a dime into a blowout if the Gophers don't bring their A game. Make no mistake. As PJ Fleck has mentioned, Fresno State can easily be a good Big Ten team.

They have a legit dual threat QB plus another pretty decent backup. They are a confident team loaded with talent and have depth at almost all positions according to my brother. If their defense shuts down our running attack, we are in a world of hurt when they force Annexstad to rely on the passing game. They have a virtually intact DB corps with speed returning from last year that can shut down the passing game against our inexperience WRs. They know how to disguise plays. So, watch out for interceptions. Conversely, our DBs will have to play an outstanding game against their speedy top flight WRs.

Jeff Tedford is like Jeff Brohm of Purdue. He knows how to motivate players to win rather quickly. He returned to his alma mater where he was the record setting QB for the Bulldogs in 1981-1982. He took a 1-11 2016 team to a 10-4 season in 2017, one of the fastest turn around in college football.

My youngest brother lives in Visalia CA. The San Joaquin Valley is a proud productive region of central valley CA. Orchard Country. They take their Bulldog Football pretty seriously.

Don't count the Gophers out entirely. There is a chance that something in the game will happen that will turn the tide in their favor. Make no mistake. This is a very tough test for the Gophers. This is a pivotal game for both teams with implications for bowl games down the road.

https://gobulldogs.com/coaches.aspx?rc=722

Score Predictions: Fresno State at Minnesota
https://247sports.com/college/fresno-state/Board/102987/Contents/Score-Predictions-Fresno-State-at-Minnesota-121474365/?Page=2

19 hours ago
MNGopher14 said... (original post)

Gopher here. I’m surprised by how little respect most of you give the Gophers. Most of the experts call it a toss up, but most on this board see it as a 2 TD win and several as a blowout. You’ll find most on the Gopher forum see it as a tighter game. It’s a night game, there will be a good crowd, and the weather should be excellent. I’ll look forward to visiting after the game. I can see Fresno St winning, but no way I see a blowout. Should be a great game to watch.
Stop acting like a 5 year old running home to tell their mom that someone said something mean on a message board. I've been browsing the Gopher Hole like many others on here and honestly who gives a chit. Both boards have their homers that believe this game will be a blow out or a close win for their teams. Like what ThePatH said we don't disrespect the Gophers, we just know what this Bulldog team is capable of and we have beaten teams that respectively were better than Minnesota. We held the #1 leading rusher in the nation Rashaad Penny to 69 yards and kept the #1 defensive player in college football Ed Oliver in check, I fully believe this team is more than capable of handling the Golden Gophers of Minnesota. This team went into Tuscaloosa and Seattle in back to back weeks, they won't be afraid going into Minneapolis.

This post was edited by ridgeview1 20 hours ago

Last edited:

Many Bulldog fans are confidently predicting a blowout. This game can quickly turn on a dime into a blowout if the Gophers don't bring their A game. Make no mistake. As PJ Fleck has mentioned, Fresno State can easily be a good Big Ten team.

They have a legit dual threat QB plus another pretty decent backup. They are a confident team loaded with talent and have depth at almost all positions according to my brother. If their defense shuts down our running attack, we are in a world of hurt when they force Annexstad to rely on the passing game. They have a virtually intact DB corps with speed returning from last year that can shut down the passing game against our inexperience WRs. They know how to disguise plays. So, watch out for interceptions. Conversely, our DBs will have to play an outstanding game against their speedy top flight WRs.

Jeff Tedford is like Jeff Brohm of Purdue. He knows how to motivate players to win rather quickly. He returned to his alma mater where he was the record setting QB for the Bulldogs in 1981-1982.

My youngest brother lives in Visalia CA. The San Joaquin Valley is a proud productive region of central valley CA. Orchard Country. They take their Bulldog Football pretty seriously.

Don't count the Gophers out entirely. There is a chance that something in the game will happen that will turn the tide in their favor. Make no mistake. This is a very tough test for the Gophers. This is a pivotal game for both teams with implications for bowl games down the road.

https://247sports.com/college/fresno-state/Board/102987/Contents/Score-Predictions-Fresno-State-at-Minnesota-121474365/?Page=2

Famous as the original hunting grounds of the Visalia Ransacker/East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer/Original Night Stalker. One of the most prolific serial rapists/killers in American history. Was your brother out there in the 70s?

Jeff Tedford is like Jeff Brohm of Purdue. He knows how to motivate players to win rather quickly. He returned to his alma mater where he was the record setting QB for the Bulldogs in 1981-1982. He took a 1-11 2016 team to a 10-4 season in 2017, one of the fastest turn around in college football.

That reply is hilarious. References two games where they were beat in blow out losses. Gophs win by 10 or more.

No. After the Watsonville CA Earthquake in 1989, he moved to the the Fresno area. I love it out there on my visits in spite of the heat. You are very close to both Yosemite National Park and Sequoia National Forest.

That reply is hilarious. References two games where they were beat in blow out losses. Gophs win by 10 or more.

I noticed that too. I think he had a little trouble comprehending.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This game cannot “easily” turn into a blowout and Fresno St will not blowout this team. This is a talented team that will not quit, with a very good coaching staff. Yes, they are young, but they also have great leaders and experienced players. People are acting like Fresno St is Alabama. That Idaho team would be bottom of the Missouri Valley Conference. They were like the bad news bears. NMSU would beat ‘em by 2 TD’s or more, maybe 4 TD’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. After the Watsonville CA Earthquake in 1989, he moved to the the Fresno area. I love it out there on my visits in spite of the heat. You are very close to both Yosemite National Park and Sequoia National Forest.

CA is indeed full of beautiful areas. Paraphrasing Edward I, the trouble with California is that it’s full of Californians.

Doesn't Fresno have a pretty bad gang problem? Or maybe did in the past ...

Doesn't Fresno have a pretty bad gang problem? Or maybe did in the past ...

My brother said they have a big car theft problem. As far as gang violence issues, I am sure they have their share. There has been an uptick of shootings early this year.

I would think that just like any urban areas, they have good and bad parts of town.

Outside of select areas like Orange County, parts of LA county, San Diego, Bay Area, some scattered rural cities, ski towns, there are vast population centers that would be culture shock for many visiting or transplanted Minnesotans. Regarding crime there were recent initiatives to early release non-violent criminals and shorten sentences in general which has contributed to an uptick in crime. The pendulum in general has swung from get tough on crime to more remedial and gentle policies and it looks to get a lot worse.

Why are we now ripping on the city of Fresno? It's not Iowa or Wisconsin, so it's fine by me.

As far as the game, their fans have absolutely every reason to be confident. They had a good season last year, they returned quite a bit of talent, and they are playing a P5 school that was under .500 last year.

I'm not saying that I think we're going to lose, I am just saying that it is perfectly reasonable for a Fresno fan to think they're going to win.

If it's high scoring, I don't think we can keep up. Our best bet to win this game is to grind it out.

Why are we now ripping on the city of Fresno? It's not Iowa or Wisconsin, so it's fine by me.

As far as the game, their fans have absolutely every reason to be confident. They had a good season last year, they returned quite a bit of talent, and they are playing a P5 school that was under .500 last year.

I'm not saying that I think we're going to lose, I am just saying that it is perfectly reasonable for a Fresno fan to think they're going to win.

If it's high scoring, I don't think we can keep up. Our best bet to win this game is to grind it out.

Yeah I'm a little surprised how many people think it's going to be high scoring. I think the best bet for a win is for it to be a 20-17 type of game.

Yes they have optimism like many fans across the nation. Clearly an up tick. They are excited and how can you hold it against them for being excited? I agree, we've got to grind it out and I believe we can do it if we play a clean game.

I spent the first 25 years of my life in the Central Valley and Fresneck is a ****hole. Even during the years of Pat Hill, Fresno state was an also ran in the state. College football is not huge in central California and there are more Oregon fans than Fresno State fans. The college is a ****ty low-tier commuter school with an alumni net cast about 50 miles in circumference. No one tries to get into Fresno state unless they have average SAT scores and grades. The town has a similar population to Minneapolis but twice the violent crime rate. Their football team is made up of junior college players who couldn’t make academic eligibility.

But they’re probably gonna beat the gophers pretty handily.

Top Bottom