What they are saying about the Gophers on the Fresno State Bark Board

Fresno fans are gonna be surprised with Annexstad they're underestimating him because of that true freshman pwo tag and don't really know the whole story. Zack isn't gonna go 0/9 on deep balls again and he will have opportunities to do it because they're gonna have to bring a safety down to the box some to try to contain Rodney otherwise we will run it down their throats. The OL really started to get more comfortable together as the game went on Thursday and you will see a better rushing attack early Saturday as a result. Bateman and Johnson will win against DBs anytime they are left 1-on-1 because they are just that special of players and Autman-Bell and Douglas can win their fair share of battles as well. Defensively I think we will be fine. I'd bet we will see a lot of different looks from Robb Smith with the versatility of guys like Coughlin, Cashman, Martin, Devers, Winfield and Otomewo. Secondary wise I'm a little concerned about how handsy Kiondre Thomas was on Thursday and hopefully he gets that fixed for this weekend. Terell Smith can run with anybody and he was close to jumping a couple routes Thursday might get one Saturday. Probably see Winfield in coverage more this weekend and Huff didn't have a good game at all Thursday but he is a Senior who has proven to be good back there and that is what I would expect to see this weekend. Hopefully Chris Williamson is healthy and ready to go and he could see some time at nickel or if needed for Thomas. All in all Gophers have the better athletes, there is no way we are going to turn the ball over the way Idaho did, we are more rested, are at home and don't have to travel and I very much expect a 10+ point win.

I understand that the team went right to business with practice Friday after the game. The RPO Spread Offense is a godsend. Rodney Smith can suddenly become a WR, and now we have legit pass catchers. There were experimenting in the second half with the long passes. Their timing is not there yet. You can bet the Annexstad and the coaches will dial that in practices. Then, watch out. There is a lot of upside to the Gophers' Offense. I am feeling pretty good about the future.

I think we have good talent on defense. Our DL and DBs may surprise FSU. But, you never know. Teams like FSU and NDSU are real dangerous and can't be taken lightly.

I’m fascinated by what’s going to happen here. I won’t be surprised either way because I haven’t seen FSU play recently. Are they overrated, or are they in that UCF, Boise, TCU etc tier of G5 giant killers?

TCU is in the Big12 but to answer the question I think they are probably in the 2nd tier of G5 schools although they did get some votes in the pre-season AP poll and after hanging 70+ in week one I’m sure they will get even more.

TCU is in the Big12 but to answer the question I think they are probably in the 2nd tier of G5 schools although they did get some votes in the pre-season AP poll and after hanging 70+ in week one I’m sure they will get even more.

I think PE meant before TCU joined BigXII in 2012.

Agree with your assessment. I will say I think they are significantly better than any Mountain West
opponent (CSU / San Jose St.) than what we’ve seen recently. Some, in the world of college football predictions, have suggested a shot at NY6 this year. Certainly interested in seeing their 2018 version. I was impressed with them last year in their Bowl win over Houston.

I found Tedford’s Presser on his take of the Gophers, Annexstad, and PJ Fleckinteresting as well.
https://youtu.be/CRAEWL7x4EI

Agree with your assessment. I will say I think they are significantly better than any Mountain West
opponent (CSU / San Jose St.) than what we’ve seen recently. Some, in the world of college football predictions, have suggested a shot at NY6 this year. Certainly interested in seeing their 2018 version. I was impressed with them last year in their Bowl win over Houston.

I found Tedford’s Presser on his take of the Gophers, Annexstad, and PJ Fleckinteresting as well.

I'm not buying it.

Off-topic here, but can't resist:

Wisconsin is like a large fourteen-eyed boil in the butt (one for each loss in the current streak). It needs to be surgically operated on soon before the septicemia becomes sepsis.

This takes precedence over any nonconference games. Is it worth coughing up the Detlef Stein stolen from the Essen Haus in Madison Wisconsin to reverse the curse?

We need to reverse the course of the longest rivalry in the Big Ten that started in 1890. As of last year, Wisconsin leads the rivalry series for the first time 60-59-8.

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?6161-How-should-Gutter-Helmet-return-the-stein-he-stole-from-the-Essen-Haus-in-Madison

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/thehole84398/i-am-back-to-bode-doom-and-gloom-to-all-gopher-fan-t8423.html

Thank you for thinking of me and my family's stein 82 days in advance in what will become the most lopsided Badger victory yet in the soon-to-be 15 year win streak over Gopher football. Quick update: No Stein has yet to be returned.

Thank you for thinking of me and my family's stein 82 days in advance in what will become the most lopsided Badger victory yet in the soon-to-be 15 year win streak over Gopher football. Quick update: No Stein has yet to be returned.

"Quick update: No Stein has yet to be returned."

I'm guessing you received your B.A. in English from UW Madison. :clap:

Yeah.. if you had to rank the G5 teams they’d probably be 3 or 4. The top ten would probably look like the following:

1.⁠UCF
2.⁠Boise
3.⁠Fresno
4.⁠Memphis
5.⁠App St
6.⁠USF
7.⁠Houston
8.⁠Hawaii
9.⁠North Texas
10.⁠Cincy

I wouldn’t say they are terrible but DB is definitely weak spot IMO.

Same. There were guys who had their receivers run past them and were plenty open a couple times ... and were saved by New Mexico State's inexplicable ability to catch the ball.

Yeah.. if you had to rank the G5 teams they’d probably be 3 or 4. The top ten would probably look like the following:

1.⁠UCF
2.⁠Boise
3.⁠Fresno
4.⁠Memphis
5.⁠App St
6.⁠USF
7.⁠Houston
8.⁠Hawaii
9.⁠North Texas
10.⁠Cincy

Early yet, but I’ve been impressed with Hawaii’s improvement. Watched the CSU game and about 10 minutes of highlights with NAVY. They aren’t NY6, but definitely have the look of an improved team that will give teams fits this year.

Iowa and Wisconsin jokes are mostly interchangeable, but I do hate Iowa more. Somebody asked me why, once. I told him it's because Iowans think they're people. I shouldn't have said that to that Iowan.

I'm always told that everyone knows the chant isn't about the actual state or it's people, just the team itself.

Yes I’m talking about their incredible run after Patterson took over and before the Big 12. They knocked off Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl which was nice.

Same. There were guys who had their receivers run past them and were plenty open a couple times ... and were saved by New Mexico State's inexplicable ability to catch the ball.

Agreed, but I also had the impression that we have excellent speed on defense, and speed can cover up a few (if not a multitude of) sins. Of course, that was in comparison to NMSU. I may not feel the same a week or two down the road. :p

JTG

Agreed, but I also had the impression that we have excellent speed on defense, and speed can cover up a few (if not a multitude of) sins. Of course, that was in comparison to NMSU. I may not feel the same a week or two down the road. :p

JTG

That's my concern too. As the competition ramps up I really worry that the opponent won't drop every other pass (jebus NM St.) and it is gonna HURT.

PJ thinks we can be good this year...he didn't say that out loud last year. We are favored. We'll battle and hopefully make enough plays to win. We have more potential playmakers this year on offense. Cashman is special at getting to the QB. Anxious to see how we fare. Go Gophers!
Best thing for us: they scored 79 points. They have our attention. Worst thing for them: they scored 79 points before they play us. Tough not be complacent, comfortable and over confident coming in.
We play Iowa before Wisconsin...right now, I'm more concerned about beating Iowa. But if we can only beat one of them this year I'll choose Wisconsin hands down! It's gotta stop!

Last edited:

Idaho voluntarily dropped from FBS to FCS after playing a ton of mostly awful seasons in a stadium only barely cleared for major college use. They lost last year by 5 touchdowns to a UNLV squad who lost to 40+ point dog Howard the prior week. They were often considered the worst FBS team.

79 is a lot but means little. It's even less telling than the Gophers pantsing NMSU.

Idaho voluntarily dropped from FBS to FCS after playing a ton of mostly awful seasons in a stadium only barely cleared for major college use. They lost last year by 5 touchdowns to a UNLV squad who lost to 40+ point dog Howard the prior week. They were often considered the worst FBS team.

79 is a lot but means little. It's even less telling than the Gophers pantsing NMSU.

This was my thought as well. When i first saw the 79 I was like oh crap, we are gonna get creamed and then I saw it was against Idaho. Idaho is a bad football team you guys. But still we will have our work cut out for us and it should be a good game.

I am gonna go buy some Red Baron pizza tonight and get my tix hopefully!

I feel like coming off a 10 win season, 79 carries a bit more weight.

I perused the Bark Board. It sounds like they have players, groups, and strategies that Minnesota has no idea how to stop. I think it would be wise for PJ Fleck to go to the Bark Board and do some recon because without that fan forum, it sounds like the Gopher staff has no other way to gather information on Fresno State at their dispense.

Idaho is an interesting story.

Both they and Boise St moved up to FBS (I-A) at the same time, in the mid-90's. At that time, Idaho was dominate. But Boise had/gained two major advantages: 1) Boise metro area population & industry growth (Micron, for one), 2) they made major investments in their facilities. Idaho is in a small town, in an area sparsely populated. Spokane is a couple hours away, on two-lane mountain roads. Another huge, massive disadvantage, which had no other equal, was that Wazzou was literally a few miles down the road. Idaho has even played "home" games in Wazzou's stadium. Even despite that, Idaho still could've made it, had they invested in a new stadium. I think, anyway. But their dome is very much an FCS/I-AA facility and now they can't afford to build a new stadium. Now they're back in the Big Sky, with former rival Montana, and I think it's the best outcome for them.

Their QB, known as MM, was the QB at Oregon State that Gary Andersen should have picked to be his QB last year. Remember he transferred right at the start of fall camp last year. Sounds like is a decent QB.

Their QB, known as MM, was the QB at Oregon State that Gary Andersen should have picked to be his QB last year. Remember he transferred right at the start of fall camp last year. Sounds like is a decent QB.

Man being Oregon St must suck so bad...

Every year we seem to have an online battle of the homers vs a noncon opponent. The reality is we are largely healthy, we have on balance more talent, and if we don’t muck it up in one of a hundred ways ought to come away with a win. Obviously anything can happen and we may be vulnerable right now on the back end. FS had a great year but lost their very good defensive line. Their secondary may have been great because of that line. It follows that if their line is weak and they can’t get a decent pass rush w/o bringing additional players or need to load the box to stop our rushers we have the talent to punish them through the air, something we’ve lacked for oh, forever.

I’m fascinated by what’s going to happen here. I won’t be surprised either way because I haven’t seen FSU play recently. Are they overrated, or are they in that UCF, Boise, TCU etc tier of G5 giant killers?

It is more likely that they are the latter, not the former. They are traditionally very good. We will have to play very well to win the game, but if we do win this game, I think it sets up really nicely the rest of the way. This is a VERY important game if the Gophers are going to have a shot at winning more than 6 games.

I expect Fresno to really try and shut down the running game and force ZA to beat their solid DB’s thru the air. This will be a very good test for ZA. If he passes it, we are potentially on to something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

1.⁠UCF
2.⁠Boise
3.⁠Fresno
4.⁠Memphis
5.⁠App St
6.⁠USF
7.⁠Houston
8.⁠Hawaii
9.⁠North Texas
10.⁠Cincy

May have to move Hawaii up on this list. They dismantled Navy over the weekend and have a road win at Colorado State. I know those two opponents aren’t ranked teams but of all the teams I’ve seen play so far, Hawaii has been one of the most impressive. They have a real shot at starting 6-0 before back to back games with Wyoming and BYU.

Last edited:

From "reydog1"on the Fresno State "Bark Board"

"I really hope the Bulldogs win, I can just see the board next week if we lose !!"

Fervently disagree with first sentiment but completely sympathize with the second...

May have to move Hawaii up on this list. They dismantled Navy over the weekend and have a road win at Colorado State. I know those two opponents aren’t ranked teams but of all the teams I’ve seen play so far, Hawaii has been one of the most impressive. They have a real shot at starting 6-0 before back to back games with Wyoming and BYU.

Indeed. Cole McDonald has 846 yds and 9 TDs passing through 2 games. Hawaii is 11 for 11 in Red Zone opportunities and, offensively has 13 TDs and 4 FGs in 2 games. They are very fun to watch offensively and have brought back the run and shoot so to speak. Their Defense is their achille's heal though and I still don't think they are NY6 material as I stated earlier. But, to your point, I think they are better than at least one on the list presented. Army will be a challenge. They have to fly to West Point - 5000 miles (6 hour difference) - and gave up 326 on the ground. Army's goal is going to be to keep McDonald and Co. off the field.

It will depend on our O Line giving McMaryion time. If he can he has 3 pretty good receivers to target.

KeeSean Johnson RS Sr. Our top receiver likely an NFL pick
Jamair Jordon RS Sr.
Michiah Quick RS Tr. Played at Oklahoma and transferred home for senior year.

It is more likely that they are the latter, not the former. They are traditionally very good. We will have to play very well to win the game, but if we do win this game, I think it sets up really nicely the rest of the way. This is a VERY important game if the Gophers are going to have a shot at winning more than 6 games.

I expect Fresno to really try and shut down the running game and force ZA to beat their solid DB’s thru the air. This will be a very good test for ZA. If he passes it, we are potentially on to something.

The Fresno Defense is pretty complex as it morphs from a 4-3 to a 3-4 to a 2-5. The back 7 all return and expect them to challenge ZA with looks he won’t have seen on film. They have all talked about taking the D to the next level and being better at disguising coverages. ZA may do very well but they will test his ability to diagnose a defense.

Top Bottom