Young, inexperienced Badger D gets younger as vet CB quits team

swingman

Reaction score
MADISON – Dontye Carriere-Williams, Wisconsin’s most experienced cornerback entering preseason camp, announced Wednesday on Twitter he is transferring.

“Being here at this university has made me not only a better football player, but a better man,” he wrote. “Unfortunately I will no longer be furthering my career as a Wisconsin Badger.”

His announcement came just two days before UW is scheduled to open the season against visiting Western Kentucky.

Carriere-Williams was UW’s No. 3 cornerback last season. He started five games and played in 14. He recorded 22 solo tackles and 30 overall, broke up seven passes and recorded one interception.

Carriere-Williams spent most of camp working on the No. 2 defense, however, and was listed on that unit on the team’s initial depth chart this week.

Jim Leonhard, UW’s secondary coach and defensive coordinator, recently explained why Carriere-Willliams was not working on the No. 1 unit.

“It is just consistency,” he said. “The highs are high. … It is just consistency and effort in practice. … I like some of the things he has done but I just want to see more.”

UW’s top two cornerbacks at the close of camp were redshirt freshman Faion Hicks and redshirt sophomore Caesar Williams, who played in just two games last season.

Carriere-Williams and sophomore Madison Cone were the backups.

The departure of Carriere-Williams provides an opportunity for another player to earn playing time. Two candidates are redshirt freshman Deron Harrell and freshman Donte Burton.

MADISON – Dontye Carriere-Williams, Wisconsin’s most experienced cornerback entering preseason camp, announced Wednesday on Twitter he is transferring.

“Being here at this university has made me not only a better football player, but a better man,” he wrote. “Unfortunately I will no longer be furthering my career as a Wisconsin Badger.”

His announcement came just two days before UW is scheduled to open the season against visiting Western Kentucky.

Carriere-Williams was UW’s No. 3 cornerback last season. He started five games and played in 14. He recorded 22 solo tackles and 30 overall, broke up seven passes and recorded one interception.

Carriere-Williams spent most of camp working on the No. 2 defense, however, and was listed on that unit on the team’s initial depth chart this week.

Jim Leonhard, UW’s secondary coach and defensive coordinator, recently explained why Carriere-Willliams was not working on the No. 1 unit.

“It is just consistency,” he said. “The highs are high. … It is just consistency and effort in practice. … I like some of the things he has done but I just want to see more.”

UW’s top two cornerbacks at the close of camp were redshirt freshman Faion Hicks and redshirt sophomore Caesar Williams, who played in just two games last season.

The departure of Carriere-Williams provides an opportunity for another player to earn playing time. Two candidates are redshirt freshman Deron Harrell and freshman Donte Burton.

He lost first team reps and talked with Chryst about playing elsewhere.

If he was 2nd string and didn't get a lot of playing time I don't see how this actually makes the secondary younger...

If he was 2nd string and didn't get a lot of playing time I don't see how this actually makes the secondary younger...

First line stated he was the team's most experienced cornerback entering this year.

Wish we played Wisconsin early in the year. They are fielding a bunch of new starters, and our lack of depth usually shows up by the time Nov rolls around.

First line stated he was the team's most experienced cornerback entering this year.

If he wasn't going to play does that make the young guys who are playing younger now that he's gone?

If he wasn't going to play does that make the young guys who are playing younger now that he's gone?

I agree with you. Being experienced on the bench, is not really experience.

And no Gophers fans are currently complaining about Bateman's "lack of experience", for example.

This will surely kill tjeir season

Considering he wasn't starting and they talked about effort, not a big loss I imagine.

Wish we played Wisconsin early in the year. They are fielding a bunch of new starters, and our lack of depth usually shows up by the time Nov rolls around.

I agree with you. Being experienced on the bench, is not really experience.

And no Gophers fans are currently complaining about Bateman's "lack of experience", for example.

Pompus has it right. That is why you would like to have experience on the bench. Injuries can and will happen.

Pompus has it right. That is why you would like to have experience on the bench. Injuries can and will happen.

100%. This is why WI has been so good. They have had a complete 2 or 3 deep that has players almost as good and experienced as the starters. They are interchangeable parts. MN, meanwhile, would have maybe a full 22 that was B1G caliber with poorer less experienced backups. That would be evident in Nov especially on the OL and DL ala 2015

100%. This is why WI has been so good. They have had a complete 2 or 3 deep that has players almost as good and experienced as the starters. They are interchangeable parts. MN, meanwhile, would have maybe a full 22 that was B1G caliber with poorer less experienced backups. That would be evident in Nov especially on the OL and DL ala 2015

Yeah, they are football gods! Never have inexperienced players or lack of talent... oh yeah, and the Gophers field a high school team....
Get real and stop being a cheese breather. Their team is primarily 3 star players.

Wiscy will still be good, but the idea of them making the final 4 is a reach. They will once again need to go undefeated in order to make it and fail.

Who said he wouldn't be playing? Was 3rd CB last year and played in every game, started several.

Yeah, they are football gods! Never have inexperienced players or lack of talent... oh yeah, and the Gophers field a high school team....
Get real and stop being a cheese breather. Their team is primarily 3 star players.

You are correct, and they have been for the past 15 or so years:cool:

Wiscy will still be good, but the idea of them making the final 4 is a reach. They will once again need to go undefeated in order to make it and fail.

Their schedule is a lot more difficult this year. They can drop a game, win the Big Ten, and they would still make the playoff.

Who said he wouldn't be playing? Was 3rd CB last year and played in every game, started several.

That’s kinda the point though ... why would he stomp off if he was going to be a significant contributor on the field?? So what if he doesn’t start?

So, thinking he was going to be special teams only, if that. When a coach says you aren’t giving effort during practice ... that’s huge bad news.

Love Swingmans optimism and complete allegiance to our team- but his links/takes in regards to our greatest foes often are more in line with propaganda rather than accurate information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After switching positions twice...

and he wasn't even listed on the two deep to start the season.

Love Swingmans optimism and complete allegiance to our team- but his links/takes in regards to our greatest foes often are more in line with propaganda rather than accurate information.

Good to see more people are figuring out the swingman

Is he a grad transfer? If so (and as long as he hasn't attended a class this semester), he could sign on with us right now, just like Justin McMillan transferred last week from LSU to Tulane. We could use more depth at CB.

Top Bottom