Fresno State beats Idaho 79-13

Certainly will be a test for the team. I think the Gophers should win, but from what we've seen from Fresno State, it won't be easy. Good points about the 2013 game vs San Jose State, I'm also thinking about the 2012 game vs Syracuse.

No one is expecting a blowout, but being at home and from a bigger conference, you'd expect MN to take care of business by a score or two. Let's relish the challenge.

Fresno have a good shot to win so this is a great non-conference feather in the cap to get a few more of the "cupcake" complainers on board before the B1G slate starts.

Fresno State recruiting class rankings last five years per 247:
92, 84, 85, 72, 84.
Gophs:38, 59, 46, 63, 57

Fresno State last 8 games vs Power 5 teams: 10-41, 16-48, 10-43, 21-73, 24-45, 13-52, 27-59, 19-55.

Fresno State lost its defensive coordinator from last season.

Gophers with a good 2.5 day recovery and prep time advantage as FSU finishes at midnight yesterday and has long travel.

Fresno State conditioning hampered by one of the hottest and worst air quality summers ever.

This one shouldn’t be close...think San Jose State coming in to TCF in 2013 after 11-2 season in 2012 and losing 43-14.

Maybe the most ridiculous thing you have ever said...and that is saying something. It gives me joyous memories of MTSU fans claiming our Gophers won't be able to handle their humid weather.

It's too bad - just when I start to believe you are, in fact, a Gopher fan (albeit an odd one) you show your true colors and attempt to set a narrative for disappointment.

Edit: Also - you do realize that Fresno did not finish their game at midnight in the time zone that they exist in, right? I will give you this, though, I had a fleeting thought about the comparison to SJSU the other day. The problem is that SJSU's defense was completely unable to stop our read option which made it impossible for them to win. FSU's defense should not be physically out-manned by our 2018 offense. This game is winnable, but personally I'm less concerned about future conference games against Illinois and Indiana than I am about this one.

Last edited:

CSU was another good Mountain West team...10-3 in 2014...Gophers went on road and beat them in 2015 and here in 2016. Vegas likes Gophers in this one, and Vegas data has yet to account for the influx of talent and the impact of the RTB culture taking hold.

Too many unknowns to say how good FSU will be this year. SJSU took a big dive in 2013 vs 2012. FSU lost a lot of production along their defensive line and their defense was the strength of the team. If they aren’t able to replace that we should be able to maul them on the ground. It will be interesting to see how our pass attack does vs an experienced secondary. And, it will be interesting to see how our defense holds up vs what should be a better offense and QB than we saw last week.

This could go a lot of ways depending on whether FSU is comparable to last year or not. I’m expecting a win but wouldn’t be surprised by a dogfight.

CSU was another good Mountain West team...10-3 in 2014...Gophers went on road and beat them in 2015 and here in 2016. Vegas likes Gophers in this one, and Vegas data has yet to account for the influx of talent and the impact of the RTB culture taking hold.

Vegas is giving Fresno 2 points ...

Somebody said "this is a game the Gophers should win if they play well."

I certainly hope so. If they play well and lose, that would not bode well for the rest of the season. (Yes, I'm being sarcastic here - but really, outside of Ohio State and schools of that caliber, if the Gophers play well, they can win against any team on the schedule.)

I would just caution people to not get overly excited after the first week. I suspect New Mexico State is going to have a hard time winning games this year.
A win is a win, and I'll take the win - but I'm not sure how much we really learned about the Gophers in week #1. We should learn a lot more this week.

Somebody said "this is a game the Gophers should win if they play well."

I certainly hope so. If they play well and lose, that would not bode well for the rest of the season. (Yes, I'm being sarcastic here - but really, outside of Ohio State and schools of that caliber, if the Gophers play well, they can win against any team on the schedule.)

I would just caution people to not get overly excited after the first week. I suspect New Mexico State is going to have a hard time winning games this year.
A win is a win, and I'll take the win - but I'm not sure how much we really learned about the Gophers in week #1. We should learn a lot more this week.

Yep and the same thing applies to Fresno State and their game against Idaho.

Both teams and their fans, should have a better handle on where they are at Sunday morning.

92, 84, 85, 72, 84.

Fresno State last 8 games vs Power 5 teams: 10-41, 16-48, 10-43, 21-73, 24-45, 13-52, 27-59, 19-55.

Gophers with a good 2.5 day recovery and prep time advantage as FSU finishes at midnight yesterday and has long travel.

Fresno State conditioning hampered by one of the hottest and worst air quality summers ever.

This one shouldn’t be close...think San Jose State coming in to TCF in 2013 after 11-2 season in 2012 and losing 43-14.

Fresno fan here... not looking to troll and excited by this game as I spent 5 years in Bloomington as a kid rooting for Dungy and the gophers.

However, your recruiting rankings may not be quite as telling because Jeff had a number of valley kids transfer back to Fresno when he started coaching.
For example:
Starting QB McMaryion: Transfer from Oregon State
Starting Flanker Quick: Transfer from Oklahoma
Starting Right Guard Boyer: Transfer from UCLA
Back up Running Back Harris: Transfer from Washington State
Back up D Tackle McCoy: Transfer from Washington

None of those players show up in the rankings. Also Jeff held a number of scholarships for guys who are late qualifiers. Players such as back up line backer Mafi. They don’t show up in rankings either.

92, 84, 85, 72, 84.

The last 8 power 5 teams they played were Alabama, Washington, Nebraska twice, Utah twice, Ole Miss, and USC.

Fresno fan here... not looking to troll and excited by this game as I spent 5 years in Bloomington as a kid rooting for Dungy and the gophers.

However, your recruiting rankings may not be quite as telling because Jeff had a number of valley kids transfer back to Fresno when he started coaching.
For example:

None of those players show up in the rankings. Also Jeff held a number of scholarships for guys who are late qualifiers. Players such as back up line backer Mafi. They don’t show up in rankings either.

Not showing up in the rankings:

Starting QB Annexstad: “walk-on” from IMG
Starting DT OJ Smith: transfer from Bama
Projected starting CB Williamson (battling an injury): transfer from Florida
Yale VanDyne: back up wr, transfer from Iowa
Back up safety Howden: late qualifier
Starting LB Cashman: walk on who is an NFL prospect

For example:

Lot of respect for Tedford! And Fresno in general. Time to reclaim your rightful place, over these upstarts San Diego St!

Yep! Expected to be named starter soon, probably will leave early for the NFL!

Dude ... sometimes your posts are borderline lies ...

What is even remotely a lie about what he posted and you quoted? Is Yale Van Dyne a backup WR? Is he a transfer from Iowa?

Need to know how many:

Scholarship seniors (offense and defense)
Combine invitees
Draftable players
Minicamp players

before I can begin to form an opinion.

The context that you’re purposefully omitting. You know it too.

Lying is a pretty strong charge. Withholding information is not necessarily lying. And what do you mean that "I'm" purposefully omitting? I didn't type the original statement.

So I ask again - which part of the statement "Yale Van Dyne is a backup WR who transferred from Iowa" is a lie?

For example:

Welcome Sactown.
Not to be too typically Minnesotan here but I think our rankings for the classes 2014-2016 should really be lowered as we have lost quite a few players from those classes due to early graduation and coaching change.

The Van Dyne brothers are the son of a U Mich player PWO that ended up playing opposite Desmond Howard. Yale also graduated high school in 2013, played hockey for awhile, and is only a redshirt sophomore at MN. Will be interesting to see if he develops into anything.

Time to reclaim your rightful place, over these upstarts San Diego St!
Wait just a minute here!!! I suffered for years of mediocrity with my beloved Aztecs! We now *finally* have a program and were minding our own business and now you need to trash talk us???

OK, kidding aside, I will be at the game on Saturday to <strike>watch my son perform at halftime in the band </strike>watch the Gophers beat on my Aztecs hated rival! Go Gophers!

So I ask again - which part of the statement "Yale Van Dyne is a backup WR who transferred from Iowa" is a lie?

I didn’t say it was a lie.

You omitting the context of the discussion is dishonest, however.

Wait just a minute here!!! I suffered for years of mediocrity with my beloved Aztecs! We now *finally* have a program and were minding our own business and now you need to trash talk us???

OK, kidding aside, I will be at the game on Saturday to <strike>watch my son perform at halftime in the band </strike>watch the Gophers beat on my Aztecs hated rival! Go Gophers!

I like both programs, tbh.

Like a lot of the Mountain West programs! Even their commissioner is from Minnesota.

Got a number of San Diego State fans, including a few San Diego State Grads. Most are upset that the Chargers left, but happy that the Spanos family did.

Hope Aztec fans can fill up ah, SDCCU Stadium. That's quite a mouthful by the way. :)

And glad to hear that you'll be cheering on the Gophers!

I didn’t say it was a lie.

You omitting the context of the discussion is dishonest, however.

OK, what was the "borderline lie" in that post? Also, maybe hop off that back hoe you using here and grab a hand shovel, won't dig as deep a hole.

Hope you guys don't run Gopher_4life off like Johnnyboy. I really get a kick out of him.
(Edit: don't make any bets Gopher_4life!!!)

Top Bottom