Fresno State beats Idaho 79-13

Dano564

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
Idaho has 200 yards passing and 100 yards rushing, however they had 7 turnovers.
5 INT's between two QB's and two fumbles.

Fresno was 21-29 passing for 247 yards
239 yards rushing.
Four different players with 40 yards rushing or more.

Turnovers gave Fresno several shorter fields taking possession in Idaho territory.

We'll be underdogs I assume.

I'd guess +4 ?

Best guess based on early computer models say we should be a 2-3 point favorite. Basically even with a home field edge.

In the matchup predictor on ESPN, we are currently a 52% to 48% favorite to win.

9 turnovers. 5 INT’s and 2 fumbles, but they also had 2 blocked field goals each returned more than 70 yards for TD’s. I think those are turnovers.

Fresno State deserves a lot of respect from our team and fans. They were solid last year, return a senior QB that was pretty efficient, and play good defense. This will be a test on both sides of the ball. Everybody is going to need to be a bit quicker, from ZA getting rid of the ball, to the defensive line getting some penetration, to the secondary. Our receivers won’t be as wide open. It’s very fortunate we have healthy playmakers in Winfield and Cashman this season. This feels like a bowl game sort of matchup rather than a noncon patsy and I’m really looking forward to it.

Fresno State deserves a lot of respect from our team and fans. They were solid last year, return a senior QB that was pretty efficient, and play good defense. This will be a test on both sides of the ball. Everybody is going to need to be a bit quicker, from ZA getting rid of the ball, to the defensive line getting some penetration, to the secondary. Our receivers won’t be as wide open. It’s very fortunate we have healthy playmakers in Winfield and Cashman this season. This feels like a bowl game sort of matchup rather than a noncon patsy and I’m really looking forward to it.

Really looking forward to it also. Extra 2 day turnaround. Home game. Even Steven games are the ones to make your season a success. Winnable game.

Looking forward to a good game with them this weekend. We have some things to do to clean things up. I agree with the extra couple days to get prepared will make us a better team. I also really like the opener on a Thursday night each year to help us out a bit.

Looking forward to a good game with them this weekend. We have some things to do to clean things up. I agree with the extra couple days to get prepared will make us a better team. I also really like the opener on a Thursday night each year to help us out a bit.

One thing is certain. I am sure our offensive line play will have to improve. However, after watching Michigan and their offensive line play, we our MUCH better off without Ed Warinner. Glad he left. I am sure our line will continue to get better.

9 turnovers. 5 INT’s and 2 fumbles, but they also had 2 blocked field goals each returned more than 70 yards for TD’s. I think those are turnovers.

I don't think blocked FG's are considered a turnover because they occur on a play when the team with possession would be giving up possession through a kick.

But thanks for adding to the details of how bad of a game it was for Idaho.

Very little to take away from this game, IMO, as far as judging how tough Fresno is going to be. Idaho is clearly very down from two seasons ago. So Fresno was playing a low level Big Sky (FCS/I-AA) team. The score was 42-6 at the end of the first half, included two blocked FG that were returned for touchdowns.

Fresno State will be a real test and a great game to watch. You have to respect them coming off a 10-win (10-4 overall, 7-1 MW) season. They have the fastest turn around in college football. They were 1-11 (0-8) in 2016.

They have seven returning starters in their defensive secondary that will test TJ and our young inexperience receivers. Defense may decide the game. Their top WR is 6'2" Keesean Johnson. Sr WRs Johnson and Jamire Jordan are their Sr QB Marcus McMaryion's favorite targets. Their receiving corps will challenge our defensive secondary with their speed. They also have three or four speedy RBs that will give nightmares to our DL.

The Gophers will have to figure out a way to get to their QB and disrupt his rhythm. Hopefully, the Gophers figure out a way to win because they get to play them at Fresno next year.

Interestingly, it was Tedford while he was at Cal who discovered Aaron Rogers at Butte JC. Tedford has a FR QB from JC that reminds him of Aaron Rogers - Hunter Raquet.

https://www.fresnobee.com/sports/college/mountain-west/fresno-state/bulldogs-football/article215953940.html

https://gobulldogs.com/roster.aspx?roster=228&path=football

Last edited:

Yes i hope the local scribes and radio hosts do a little research and let the casual local sports fans know that this will be a tough opponent and an great game to attend.

Yes i hope the local scribes and radio hosts do a little research and let the casual local sports fans know that this will be a tough opponent and an great game to attend.

Fresno State recruiting class rankings last five years per 247:
92, 84, 85, 72, 84.
Gophs:38, 59, 46, 63, 57

Fresno State last 8 games vs Power 5 teams: 10-41, 16-48, 10-43, 21-73, 24-45, 13-52, 27-59, 19-55.

Fresno State lost its defensive coordinator from last season.

Gophers with a good 2.5 day recovery and prep time advantage as FSU finishes at midnight yesterday and has long travel.

Fresno State conditioning hampered by one of the hottest and worst air quality summers ever.

This one shouldn’t be close...think San Jose State coming in to TCF in 2013 after 11-2 season in 2012 and losing 43-14.

think San Jose State coming in to TCF in 2013 after 11-2 season in 2012 and losing 43-14.

This is a nice try, I have to give you that.

But alas, still a hard NOPE. San Jose in 2012 was led by coach Mike MacIntyre. After that season he left for Colorado, and they haven't had a winning season since.

Fresno was led by coach Tedford last season, and is still led by them this season. Though if they do well again, I can see him getting hired back into the P5 somewhere.

Last edited:

David Fales was San Jose QB that game. Big arm, good rcvrs.

Fales made Dolphins roster yesterday.

Regarding the record vs Power 5 they played Alabama and Washington last year. We are not close to that level yet. Not exactly analogous to WMU playing Illinois and NW. I think it’s dangerous to underestimate good G5 teams when we are currently a mediocre P5 team (and a poor one in 2017). If we dominate these guys I’ll be jumping for joy that we might overachieve this season. We will need to take a big jump from game 1 (which is possible).

Regarding the record vs Power 5 they played Alabama and Washington last year. We are not close to that level yet. Not exactly analogous to WMU playing Illinois and NW. I think it’s dangerous to underestimate good G5 teams when we are currently a mediocre P5 team (and a poor one in 2017). If we dominate these guys I’ll be jumping for joy that we might overachieve this season. We will need to take a big jump from game 1 (which is possible).

I agree with this ^. Golden Gophers will need to be clicking on all cylinders on both sides of the ball.

Massive step up in competition from NMSU but still a team the Gophers can beat if they play well. Should give us a much better feel for how far along our young players are and how far they still have to go. Glad this is game two for ZA and he was hopefully able to get some of those first game jitters out of the way against a much weaker opponent last week.

Take it for what it's worth, but most pro handicappers probably have Fresno St power ranked about 10-15 spots higher than the Gophers (out of 130 FBS teams). It would be a nice win for the Gophers.

This is a pivotal game albeit early in the season. We need to secure all three noncons.

The important thing is this game will be a team confidence builder.

Fleck has been prepping for FSU for quite a while. They even practiced Friday night. I'm pretty optimistic. 42-31. Maybe 48-28.

Gophers absolutely should win, but it won't be a gimme that's for sure. Fresno is respectable.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom