Verdis Brown

btowngopher

Reaction score
Looks like he's academically ineligible for Illinois. It's nice that we haven't been seeing these issues much with Fleck's recruits. Seems like we use to run into it more often.

Maybe that was the reason he did not join Annexstad, Dunlop, and Faalele to the Gophers.

You are rolling the dice when offering scholarships to those on the academic edge, ie. your Jeff Jones type.

As much as middling programs feel the need to take a chance on an "edge case" and hope for eligibility, well established recruiting programs can spend their efforts on those who are sure to qualify, and even enroll early. Once our recruiting is firmly upgraded and established, hopefully we are never in a position to be banking recruiting classes on "projects".

Last edited:

You are rolling the dice when offering scholarships to those on the academic edge, ie. your Jeff Jones type.

As much as middling programs feel the need to take a chance on an "edge case" and hope for eligibility, well established recruiting programs can spend their efforts on those who are sure to qualify, and even enroll early. Once our recruiting is firmly upgraded and established, hopefully we are never in a position to be banking recruiting classes on "projects".
Should be taking the opposite approach. You can roll the dice here and there if you have an established culture, identity or whatever you want to call it. That way it's low risk, high reward

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Should be taking the opposite approach. You can roll the dice here and there if you have an established culture, identity or whatever you want to call it. That way it's low risk, high reward

I kind of agree with this approach.

That and you have to wonder about "effort".

Some of these guys get a lot of help, and when they get to college ... the setup those kids get with classes, tutoring, etc... ... you gotta "try" to suck to be ineligible.

Ah yes, the Brewster approach.

Or if we do end up rolling the dice, we do so on players closer to Jeff Jone's caliber instead of say, Erick Abojei or Rashaun Croney's caliber for example. Croney was a DB commit in the 2014 class but did not end up qualifying.

Yeah I have no problem with taking a chance on some guys / second chances and etc.

Looks like he's academically ineligible for Illinois. It's nice that we haven't been seeing these issues much with Fleck's recruits. Seems like we use to run into it more often.

Maybe not as much with Fleck but Jason Dickson isnt eligible and thats why hes being redshirted.

Maybe not as much with Fleck but Jason Dickson isnt eligible and thats why hes being redshirted.

Not sure if I get this. Jason Dickson isn't eligible but still being reshirted? I would think if he isn't eligible you couldn't get into school. Or is in school on his own trying to get his grades up and will hopefully qualify for a scholarship next year. I'm missing something here.

Ah yes, the Brewster approach.

Agreed. Academic failures add up. To create a team with a full 2/3 deep roster, you need to kids that can 1. Get into school. 2. Stay academically eligible

Taking marginal grades players is not a good idea

Agreed. Academic failures add up. To create a team with a full 2/3 deep roster, you need to kids that can 1. Get into school. 2. Stay academically eligible

Taking marginal grades players is not a good idea

At huge public schools, like the Big Ten publics .... they have a quota in the admissions dept to accept in kids that are standard deviations below the mean of the incoming class, in terms of GPA, test scores, etc. As well as probably funding/grants/programs for taking underrepresented minorities, kids who are the first in their family to go to college, etc.

So the floor is the minimum academic requirements set by the NCAA, which are quite low.

I read somewhere that the ZA scholarship was going to be the last one but then Faalele decided to come and ZA passed it to him when Dunlap committed. Can't confirm, but it makes for a great story. Yes, Brown would have come too and would have fared better here than Illinois with our Elite Academic Culture had there been one more late scholoarship to give. The whole Annexstad family bleeds Maroon and Gold.

Moar IMG, please!

I read somewhere that the ZA scholarship was going to be the last one but then Faalele decided to come and ZA passed it to him when Dunlap committed. Can't confirm, but it makes for a great story.

Absolutely fantastic story. Just makes ZA even that much more of an outstanding, high character, loyal Gopher.

Wish they would confirm that. There should be no reason not to.

Top Bottom