Would you rather for 2018?

Which outcome would you rather have?

• 9-4 with a bowl win but losses in all the big games

Votes: 40 53.3%
  • 4-8 but one of the wins is 11-0 Wisconsin

Votes: 35 46.7%

• Total voters
If gophers are 3-8 going into WI game, they simply don’t win. Stupid poll.

If gophers are 3-8 going into WI game, they simply don’t win. Stupid poll.

A very similar situation has happened twice before in Gopher / Badger history, so I wouldn't call it impossible.

It's gotten a pretty even split on responses and reasoning from both sides so I would say it's been a good Q. If it was written with the Gophers at 7-4 or something, there would have been nothing to debate.

A very similar situation has happened twice before in Gopher / Badger history, so I wouldn't call it impossible.

It's gotten a pretty even split on responses and reasoning from both sides so I would say it's been a good Q. If it was written with the Gophers at 7-4 or something, there would have been nothing to debate.

Neither one of those badger teams were serious contenders for a conference championship so no, not quite similar. It's still ludicrous to think a 3-8 Gophers team stands a chance of rolling into Camp Randall against a what could be an undefeated badger team and come out with a win.

Neither one of those badger teams were serious contenders for a conference championship so no, not quite similar. It's still ludicrous to think a 3-8 Gophers team stands a chance of rolling into Camp Randall against a what could be an undefeated badger team and come out with a win.

With your mindset why even play the game?

If you want to say they have a very little chance that's fine, but there is still a chance. Or are you claiming a 3-8 team has never beat an undefeated team before?

The reason they call it an upset is because it was unexpected. Sure, we could all come up with examples of an unheralded team knocking off a much higher-rated squad, but in general, the 'better' team tends to win far more games than it loses.

Maybe one of the more gambling-oriented folks on here could come up with some stats on how often an underdog wins a game - or even beats the spread. And, of course, it depends a lot on the expected point spread. If Team A is a 2-point favorite and loses, that is not a huge upset. If Team A is a 14-point favorite and loses, that's a different kettle of fish. And if Team A is a 30-point favorite and loses, that leads SportsCenter.

So, you would have to find out numbers on how often an underdog wins based on point spread. I suspect that the higher the spread, the fewer upsets take place.

Those were miserable years under Wacker. Beating Wisconsin was great, but it still was horrible watching the gophers week in and out because they were horrible.

Winning 9 games is a lot more fun. Witnessing the win against Washington State was awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree - I hate Wisconsin and everything it stands for, but winning 4 games would be really tough to swallow, especially considering the mediocrity of some of those teams they'd lose to.

Now 6 wins, close losses to any mediocre teams, beat WI... That might change my outlook.

I really want one mashup where they win 9 games AND beat WI. The other mashup would REALLY suck.

With your mindset why even play the game?

If you want to say they have a very little chance that's fine, but there is still a chance. Or are you claiming a 3-8 team has never beat an undefeated team before?

would it be better if he said realistic chance?

I picked 9-4

which to me indicates we're on the upswing. I'd rather push for consistently good results than a fluke win vs Wi.

Zack Annexstad will eventually hoist the axe

You need to go review 1993. Gophers ended 4-7 while WI ended 10-1-1, only loss was Gophers. I'd take this all day every day.

I would not.

If we're going to suck but beat Wisconsin, that's at least a positive, but I won't take it all day and every day.

Also, is Nebraska really a marquee game for us??? Sure, there is a fake trophy. Sure, we've played them a handful of times.

But they aren't s___ since joining the Big Ten, and there is no history of playing Nebraska. They're Big Ten noobs, and have earned no respect from me. Our actual rivals are Wisconsin and Iowa.

Minnesota and Nebraska have played 56 times, which is more than we've played Ohio State and Michigan State. I'd call that a history and more than a handful. And Nebraska might not be s___ since joining the Big Ten, but they've been better than us. If teams can't be rivals with others that haven't been s___ for a while, can we be rivals with anybody?

When Nebraska joined the Big Ten I remember someone saying we're the only Big Ten team with a winning record against Nebraska, but don't quote me on that. And we have had competitive games with them for the most part since they joined the conference. You're right that Iowa and Wisconsin are bigger rivals, but Nebraska is in the next tier.

To me, this isn't even close. A win over a hypothetical 11-0 Wisconsin team would be the first win for the Gophers over a team that would go on to finish in the top 3 of the conference since JIM WACKER was the coach! The Gophers badly need to end the streak to Wisconsin, it's long past the stage where calling it embarrassingly pathetic even does it justice. On the other hand, the Gophers have had a number of seasons where they went to a "bowl" while losing all the big games on their schedule and it never has lead to anything bigger. At a program that has had success, you could get really excited about the turnaround in record from year 1 to year 2, but at Minnesota the question would still remain as to whether they could actually beat any real contenders.

I think you could also make an argument that PJ would have more to sell after option "B" as well. This win would lead SportsCenter and be a hot topic nationally for a number of days. The highlights of the Gophers grabbing the Axe and PJ's post game speech would be replayed endlessly.

To me, this isn't even close. A win over a hypothetical 11-0 Wisconsin team would be the first win for the Gophers over a team that would go on to finish in the top 3 of the conference since JIM WACKER was the coach! The Gophers badly need to end the streak to Wisconsin, it's long past the stage where calling it embarrassingly pathetic even does it justice. On the other hand, the Gophers have had a number of seasons where they went to a "bowl" while losing all the big games on their schedule and it never has lead to anything bigger. At a program that has had success, you could get really excited about the turnaround in record from year 1 to year 2, but at Minnesota the question would still remain as to whether they could actually beat any real contenders.

I think you could also make an argument that PJ would have more to sell after option "B" as well. This win would lead SportsCenter and be a hot topic nationally for a number of days. The highlights of the Gophers grabbing the Axe and PJ's post game speech would be replayed endlessly.

It would be a pretty weak argument.

A win over a hypothetical 11-0 Wisconsin team would be the first win for the Gophers over a team that would go on to finish in the top 3 of the conference since JIM WACKER was the coach!

Uff da. There's your cold splash of water fact for the day.

I like how this poll is still basically 50/50

I like how this poll is still basically 50/50

I'm kind of blown away by this. Do people realize we are at Wisc.? The one magical win would be watched on tv by 98% of you. I don't get it..

I'm kind of blown away by this. Do people realize we are at Wisc.? The one magical win would be watched on tv by 98% of you. I don't get it..

Oh that is a good point, not only would we all get to watch it on TV but I bet a lot of other people would too just increasing Wisconsin's pain!

I do not like Wisconsin and you have no clue how bad I want to win, but why would you rather be 4-8 beating Wisconsin than 9-4 with a bowl win? This is stupid to me. If we’re 4-8 we took a step back. It means that we probably got lucky and the wins vs Sconny wouldn’t repeat. However, 9-4 would likely mean PJ is turning things around. It would also mean that we would be able to compete with Wisconsin for years to come and have fun teams to watch for awhile. So you guys would rather win one game than have a coach on the way to turning program around. Sounds stupid to me

Top Bottom